Topic Title: hd7970 cf display port dropping out?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/21/2013 07:55 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/21/2013 07:55 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
tking1312996
Peon

hd7970 cf display port dropping out after Catalyst Software Suite 13.12 install. has anyone else experinced this?

12/24/2013 09:39 PM

Author Icon
Mikeakajb
Peon

I've been having similar issues with a 3x1 eyefinity portrait

I have crossfired 7950s

Eyefinity was working for like 4 days and now I can't get eyefinity to work at all.  There was a crash with some Ks.sys file and after that it was down hill.

Currently, I have 2 active mini display port to dvi, dvi to hdmi cables and 1 dvi to hdmi cable.  I have all 3 displays working but in extended display mode and not eyefinity.  Whenever I go to windows display / adjust resolution one of the display keeps flickering off / being detected.  I think this is interrupting Catalyst from creating an eyefinity.  It stalls when I try and create eyefinity since ie has to turn off extended mode and then redetect the monitors.

The weird thing is if I hook my projector to the hdmi I can get eyefinity to work with 2x2 mode.  Once I disconnect the projector it will go back to a constantly turning off and on monitor when trying to detect.  Doing regular stuff the monitors dont disengage / reengage / redetect and only when trying to actually select the eyefinity profile.

01/08/2014 11:21 PM

Author Icon
Mikeakajb
Peon

I seem to have fixed the issue despite it not making sense at all.

I have 2 x Gigabyte Radeon 7950s in crossfire. The outputs are 2 mini display port, 1 hdmi, and 1 dvi.

I am using 3x asus monitors which only have 2 hdmi inputs and 1 vga input. They come with Dvi - Hdmi I assume passive cables.  I purchased 2 mini displayport to dvi active adapters.  I then connected the dvi to hdmi cable directly to the card to the monitor and the 2 x mini display ports to dvi adapters to the same video card that leads to the dvi-hdmi cables.

This setup gave me huge problems where 1 of the mini display ports kept interrupting when trying to form the eyefinity.  People have told me it's a faulty adapter even though it was working perfectly fine before the crash and updating to the newest catalyst package.  I also have a projector that I wanted to attach via hdmi to the card but this would only allow a 2x2 mode.

I decided to mess around and try different combos.  It led me to connecting the Hdmi directly to one of the asus monitors second hdmi port.  This made everything stable and allowed me to create an eyefinity 3x1 portrait and not limited to 2x2 or 1x4 normally was allowed to do when I had my projector hooked to the hdmi instead.

With the eyefinity on in 3x1 portrait the current ports being used are the 2 x mini displayport to dvi dvi to hdmi and the dvi to hdmi passive cable.  The hdmi connected directly to the asus monitor isn't used at all.  I don't know why this works but when I remove the hdmi cable from the card and monitor the eyefinity crashes and only the dvi to hdmi monitor remains active.

And yes the 2 mini displayport with hdmi doesn't allow me to create an eyefinity at all as one of the monitors keeps disappearing.

Basically I have to leave 4 cables attached even though using only 3 of them actively and when I want to watch a movie or play a game on my projector I have to disable eyefinity and replace one of the connections with the cable running to my projector.  This all seems like a terribly big problem and hassle.

Why can I not connect the 3 monitors and 1 projector using eyefinity on the 3 monitors and switching over to the projector when need to using Window Key + P to projector only?  

When I try this setup it only gives 2x2 and 1x4 as options for the eyefinity and not the 3x1 portrait like I can get when I connect the hdmi cable to monitor already connected to one of the other outputs?

Statistics
86633 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.