Topic Title: Eyefinity issues with 14.2 Beta Drivers
Topic Summary: Here or Eyefinity forum both seem like a good place.
Created On: 03/07/2014 08:26 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/07/2014 08:26 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
ArchAngelGabriel
Peon

I have been having issues getting Eyefinity to stay stable lately with both the 14.1 and 14.2 Beta drivers. I have my 3 monitors connected with 2 DVI-D cables and 1 Displayport Cable. That is the only way I know to get 144 Hz from each Monitor. The only other display option I have is HDMI and when I add it to the mix my Eyefinity display setup is forced to 60Hz maximum.

When I run either of the beta drivers for better gameplay in BF4 as well as my other games the Display port dorks out on me and the only way to get it back is to unplug every cable and swap which monitor the display port cable goes to. Ever couple of days playing musical cables is beginning to get on my nerves.

The system is running a stable Eyefinity setup 6000 X 1080 @ 144Hz with the WHQL driver 13.12. This driver however lacks on the performance side for 3 monitor gaming.

13.12 Framerates 6000x1080 or 5760X1080 @ 45 to 65 FPS.

14.2 Beta Framerates 6000x 1080 or 5760X1080 @ 110 to 160 FPS

I am truly hoping that there will be a 14.XX WHQL Driver out soon that will address this issue.

Please only reply with solutions to this issue. Do not reply with some silly response given by those who cant afford or refuse to set aside the cash to build systems like this. There are enough posters out there for you to bash.

Thanks in advance for the help.

System Specs Below:

Case:

Cooler Master HAF X - High Air Flow Full Tower (Customized)

Motherboard:

ASUS Crosshair V Formula

Power supply:

CORSAIR AXi series AX1200i 1200W Digital

Processor:

AMD FX-8350 Black Edition Vishera

CPU Cooling:

CORSAIR Hydro Series H50 Water/Liquid CPU Cooler.

Memory:

32 GB 16 X 16  AMD Radeon™ RP1866 Performance Series

Hard drives:

Corsair Neutron Series GTX CSSD-N240GB (OS)

2 Western Digital WD VelociRaptor WD1000DHTZ 1TB RAID 0

Graphic cards:

2 XFX Black Edition Double Dissipation R9-290X-EDBD

Monitors:

3 ASUS VG248QE Black 24" 144Hz 1ms (GTG)

Operating System:

Win 7 64 bit (Completely up to date)

-------------------------

AMD Sig photo AMDSignature2.jpg

Edited: 03/07/2014 at 08:35 PM by ArchAngelGabriel
 03/14/2014 12:23 PM

Author Icon
ArchAngelGabriel
Peon

Ok then... Here is an update on the above set up with the issue I have been having.

After disabling Crossfire the beta driver seems to work for the past 2 days without the DisplayPort connection wigging out.

So I'm guessing this is an overall driver/Crossfire issue. If the drivers for the R9 series cards isn't set up correctly I imagine it will cause the card not to know what to do with the 3 monitors at 144 Hz in Crossfire.

I am beginning to get a bit frustrated at the fact I spent around $1,300.00 on what I was under the impression was one of the best all-around cards on the market only to find that AMD is unable to offer a driver that will allow me to get the full advantage of these cards in Crossfire with 3 monitors at 144 Hz. This is what the technical documents say this card these cards are capable of doing.

Am I in the wrong forums to get some sort of reply from AMD technical support team? If so someone please link me to the place where I can find a solution to this issue.

Thanks again for all the topic views and not trashing me for building this kind of PC.

03/18/2014 07:46 PM

Author Icon
ArchAngelGabriel
Peon

Update. Running without Crossfire 3 monitors still having issues with the displayport cable haveing to be swaped.

So sad no help from AMD. I can't believe not one dev has responded to this post.

Maybe I should have went Nvidia.

Or maybe if I'm lucky someone at AMD will care enough to respond to this post with a solution or some kind of workaround.

Hell I would be hapy with a reply from the Dev's saying there aware of this issue and are working to correct it in the next update.

Throw me a freekin bone here.

Edited: 03/19/2014 at 10:43 PM by ArchAngelGabriel
 03/19/2014 01:40 PM

Author Icon
Agente Silva
Peon

Almost 2 weeks have passed and no reply from no one? It´s a bit strange...

So, 13.12 no issue with DP dorking out but low FPS, and 14.2 beta issues with DP but good FPS? If so, it´s clearly on driver´s side.

Anyway, my setup is R9 280X Crossfire on 3*24 60 Hz monitors. You say you get better FPS running 14.2 (you do not refer if it´s DX or Mantle). In my case I get better results with 13.12 (on DX)

The only issue I had was massive screen tear on the center monitor (solved by selecting Preferred Display in CCC). You don´t describe what is your DP dorking out... try other DP dongle if you have the chance! You should investigate (in case you didn´t do that already ) if Eyefinity runs on 144 Hz... just my 5 cents...

Hope you get your problem solved m8!

03/19/2014 10:42 PM

Author Icon
ArchAngelGabriel
Peon

Wow! Silva... Thanks Bro.

Displayport Dorking = the monitor its hooked up to will not work after a couple days and gives a CCC error ( There is a problem with the connection between the DisplayPort and the monitor and my PC) so I unplug all my cables from the PC and then switch which monitor the Displayport cable is connected to. I can then plug back in the DVI-D cables and redo my Eyefinity setup.

FPS was on DX

I think I may have found a solution.

After speaking to Asus again they fessed up that there is a known issue when using different cables in a multi-display set up. (i.e. 2 DVI-D cables and 1 Displayport cable.)

I'm going to order a Display port Male to DVI-D Female adaptor as a last ditch effort to get this to work. That way I will have the same type of cables to all three monitors. Cost= $15.00

I thought of going with a powered MST-Hub but the maximum refresh rate they will produce for 3 monitors is 60 Hz. Not to mention the cost is $99.00-$149.99.

lol XFX is stumped, ASUS is stumped and AMD Dev's are stumped.

Thanks again Silva

I will update this post with my findings either way so someone else doesn’t have to go through the hell I have with this issue.

03/20/2014 07:56 AM

Author Icon
Agente Silva
Peon

I ear you budd... Anyways, it´s a strange thing that "all DP connection" considering I have 1 DP + 2 DVI´s (where both dvi are using adapters: HDMI --> DVI and VGA --> DVI). Yes, 21st century monitors are still coming with VGA :S Though I never had any display shutdown, "only" screen tear, but then again I´m running 60 hz monitors.

Did ASUS mention if you needed active dongles for all 3 display or using passive (much cheaper) dongles will do... Would this eliminate/decrease screen tear? I have a couple of those at work (from Bizzlink), I might give it a try!

Keep "us" posted xD

Thnx

03/21/2014 06:22 AM

Author Icon
Viper139
Peon

I am using 4 mini-DP to DP screens cables together with 2 DVI cables to connect my 6 27" Screens. 5 are running at 60hz and the one I am gaming on is running at 120hz. Since I game on one screen only, this does not compare to your situation, but I did not have any problems with 14.2 or 14.3 at all...

Might not be driver related..

But when I started out I had cable issues as well until I swapped all my screens to DP Screens. Not having to convert solved those issues for me.

03/21/2014 01:52 PM

Author Icon
jej3689
Peon

ArchAngelGabriel, I normally read posts and NEVER respond but after reading yours and seeing no response from AMD i felt obligated to help you out.

I have the same exact 3 monitors your have and I have played hell trying to get eyefinity to work properly in 144hz mode both in and out of games and after extensive research I found my solution.

I recently purchased a Displayport hub from EVGA and while the advertising of aforementioned product is less than truthful, it did solve my problems. I wasnt able to connect all 3 VG248QE's to it as there simply isnt enough bandwidth in displayport 1.2 to fully support 3 VG248QE's. However, I was able to connect 2 of them and then with a second display port connect the 3rd and with the 14.2 beta drivers all 3 monitors have been working flawlessly for atleast 2-3 weeks now with no problems. However, I'm currently running 2x HD 7970's made by diamond.

I have been considering upgrading to R9 290x's however with only 1 display port on them I refuse to upgrade despite the fact that im drooling over the performance increase ive calculated based on higher bandwidth more pixel shaders, etc...

I have also had luck before acquiring my displayport hub with 2 active adapters made by Startech that were 99$ each and using 1 DVI-D and 2 active adapters with 3 IDENTICAL DVI-D cables. In order to avoid frustration in your efforts please make sure as much of your hardware is identical. My older setup I had the center monitor on DVI-D and the left and right on displayport active adapters and the center monitor had massive screen tearing horizontally whenever i panned right or left or moved a window across the center monitor, with 0 screen tearing on the left and right montior.

Also it is important to note that a few drivers back AMD changed the way crossfire functioned, my father used to use 2 dvi-d ports on his HD6970's and 1 display port with active adapters, upon updating to a newer driver release he was never able to get his crossfire + eyefinity to have all 3 monitors functioning together. Recently I went over to his house and swapped him from 2 dvi-d's and 1 displayport active adapter to 1 dvi-d and 2 displayport to dvi-d active adapters and it fixed all of his issues. I am not familiar with the R9 290x's as i do not own them however on older 6000 and 7000 series cards you can only use 1 legacy (vga, dvi, etc) adapter and 2 non-legacy (display port, etc) adapters in order for eyefinity to function properly.

One final note, It takes roughly 46% of the alloted bandwidth of a displayport 1.2 in order to run 1 vg248qe monitor at 1920x1080p@144hz which is roughly 12.5 gbps out of a totall 28.7 gbps that the displayport 1.2 is capable of outputting so you can run all 3 monitors using evga displayport hub but you will be stuck in 60hz unless you only connect two fo them. this can be verified in the new 14.2 drivers as they have a meter on them when you are connected using MST technology that tells you the current usage of bandwidth per monitor using your Displayport.

I hope what ive said has helped you. Also feel free to ad gmail to the end of my user name and contact me via email and ill send you my cell phone number and I can help you resolve all of your eyefinity crossfire issues. I started out as an nvidia fanboy and have been a die-hard AMD fan for almost 10 years. I've been building enthusiast level PC's for almost 20 years now. Best of luck sir!

Intel i7 3770k @4.5 ghz
Corsair H100i water cooler
Asus Z77 Sabertooth MB
Corsair dominator 32gb (4x8)
2xHD 7970 Diamond
3xAsus VG248QE 144hz displays
HAF 922 Case
XFX Triple Display Stand

Statistics
88829 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.