Topic Title: Eyefinity 6 using 2 7950's with MST hubs
Topic Summary: 3x2 config
Created On: 03/17/2014 10:57 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/17/2014 10:57 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
paradigm49
Peon

Currently in the process of building a eyefinity 6 display setup. Currently own 2 7950 video cards, and have 2 Display Port MST hubs on their way. 

My question is this. I know with crossfire you have to run everything off of one video card, but if i run all 6 monitors on displayport leveraging the MST hubs, would i be able to run a 6 monitor eyefinity? the resolution of each of the monitors is 1900x1200 (Asus PA248Q Monitors) The thought was to run 1 MST hub per card, but still using displayport for all of the connections.

Buying new video cards is an option...but I'm assuming if i go the route of running everything display port that it shouldn't be an issue.

Suggestions? Thoughts?

03/26/2014 04:23 PM

Author Icon
jingkun
Peon

Given that it's been almost 10 days since you posted I'm going to assume you already have your hubs and already have your answer.  Based on my knowledge on the topic and my 3x 7970 setup the displays will only run off 1 card when in crossfire.  With that being said you will need to be able to plug both hubs into the same card.  Keep in mind I'm also assuming these are 3 port DP hubs.  The fact that you have 2 7950s should handle the 6 monitors without much problem despite what I've been reading that "a 7970 has no chance at handling 3 monitors" and that is in fact what I did when I first rebuilt my system about this time last year.

*begin rant*

Never giving Intel a chance again after all the garbage I went through with 5 dead procs, 3 dead chipsets, and 2 broken socket pinsets <.< in a 3 or 4 month period all with no OC and well above sufficent air cooling and that i7 could barely keep up with an AM2+ phenom quad core,

*end rant*

but despite all that the 1 7970 I had in that system ran 3 monitors perfectly when gaming at about 50-60 fps. 

03/26/2014 05:14 PM

Author Icon
paradigm49
Peon

I've sort of found an answer. But there is no way at all what so ever i can do it with the 7950's that i have. max i can run is 5 monitors. which isn't what i want to do. 

Yes, they are 3 port DP hubs...and thats where things come to a grinding halt. I only have 1 DP port. So...solution--get different video cards. with 2 mini-dp hubs, convert them to full size dp, and run the 2 3 port hubs off of one card. I'll put EK WB's on them and shouldn't have any issues.

I have the 2 7950's and in an eyefinity 3 config, those two cards were pushing 5760x1200 at 60+fps with everything cranked with no problems.

Most likely going to go with 2 290's and overclock the living crap out of them.

As for intel---I have had nothing but success with them. 2 Asus Rampage boards (Rampage Formula for the old lga 775 core 2 quad i had) and a rampage IV extreme that my 3930k is running on (massive overclock on that as well---sitting at about 5.1ghz and pretty much runs 24/7. have a couple other computers i've built with intel/asus combo and to the best of my knowledge every single one of them is still running.

I can't say i've had any problems with AMD CPU's either but, the last one i ran was a x2 4800 about.....8 years ago. 

Thanks for replying to the topic...i've been posting on a few different places and contacted AMD as well to see what their thoughts on things were.

Statistics
84908 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.