Topic Title: 3 displays on HD 5570
Topic Summary: Unable to configure 3x1 on 5570
Created On: 03/27/2014 10:17 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/27/2014 10:17 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
dffnumber1
Peon

I'm trying to setup eyefinity with my three monitors on my HD 5570 but I only see the option for 2x1 or 1x2. 

HD5570 has one DVI, HDMI and DP.  I'm running DVI->DVI, HDMI->HDMI and DP->HDMI using the accell B086B-003B-2 active adapter.

DVI->Dell ST2121L

HDMI->Dell ST2421L

DP adapter->Dell ST2410

Device manager sees all three monitors, and CCC sees all three monitors under "Detect Displays" but I am unable to find any coniguration/setting that allows me to use all three at the same time.

Any help is appreciated.

03/28/2014 12:13 AM

Author Icon
jingkun
Peon

Does CCC actually see all 3 monitors as their model name or do any of them show up as unknown?  I ask this because I run 3 monitors and last night one of my active adapters died, and while CCC could see that I had 3 monitors it wouldn't output anything to the 3rd and listed it as unknown.  

Almost forgot, can you disable one of the active monitors to make the inactive monitor work?  I'm not overly knowledgeable about the 5k cards but you might also need a 2nd active adapter.

03/28/2014 12:52 AM

Author Icon
dffnumber1
Peon

Yes, CCC sees all three monitors as the actual model numbers. 

Also, I can change the configration so that all of the monitors work individually, or a pair of monitors work (1&2, 1&3, 2&3)

03/28/2014 03:48 AM

Author Icon
jingkun
Peon

Can you run all 3 together without eyefinity?  If not then my guess is that you probably need a 2nd active adapter to go with the setup.  Most likely hdmi to dvi active.  Hdmi has historically given me alot of problems up till now.  In fact up till yesterday when one of my displayport to dvi active adapters failed I've avoided it and when I setup an hdmi to dvi adapter I was suprised that it fixed the problem.

03/29/2014 03:20 PM

Author Icon
dffnumber1
Peon

No, I can't run all of them together outside of CCC either.  My understanding on the active v passive adapter is that it is only necessary for the DP output, as the HDMI and DVI outputs will have the required power... but the DP output needs additional power... hence the active adapter.

03/29/2014 04:07 PM

Author Icon
jingkun
Peon

My understanding is that the card will only supply enough power to a set number of connectors, thats 2 of the 5 on my 7970.  Mind I like the way your understanding works better but after looking around there doesn't seem to be much in the way of understanding how the active adapters work since most of them don't have an external power source or much of anything else that says they're active except the fact that they usually convert X to Y and are bigger than the typical adapter of that type that comes with the card... usually.  

I'd say since its really only around 30 bucks, and thats small for the price of a 3rd monitor, to try and find an active hdmi to dvi or something like that and give that a shot.

Also after looking at the wikipedia pages for both hdmi and displayport they both put out similar amounts of power.  3.3v @ .5amps for displayport and 5v @ .5amps for hdmi.  While sure it is a difference, power output is still part of the connector and will be required of each.  Also if I'm not mistaken the power output is more for the signal range of the cable as display port can have an output of up to 16v and hdmi is set at 5v no matter what.  I've read theory that the active adapter is more for signal diferentiaton on the card but as I said before, how they work is still up in the air.

Statistics
88898 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.