Topic Title: Eyefinity 120hz not available.
Topic Summary: AMD Eyefinity
Created On: 05/14/2014 08:24 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/14/2014 08:24 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
ArkaynAdrian
Peon

Hi everyone,

I think my issue is slightly different to what I can find on here and google.

I have xfire 7970's (Gigabyte reference) and 3 Samsung S27A950D monitors. These monitors support DP, DVI-D and HDMI.

When I do a Eyefinity setup of 5760x1080 I can only select 60 hz in Windows and Catalyst control panel.

IF I run 1 monitor at a time I can select 120hz on the two connected by DP but only 60hz on the DVI-D (windows and CCC).

The cable is 100% DVI-D. I have installed the monitor drivers too.

Do I need an DVI to DP adapter so that all 3 monitors are connected by DP to get 120hz Eyefinity?

Does the adapter need to be ACTIVE?

I ask cause everything I find says I can do 120hz with DVI-D or DP but it won't work for me hence I may have another issue. All driver versions from 14.4beta all the way through the 13's has this issue. The other thing that throws me is nVidia works with DVI-D for 120hz multiscreen.

So in short do I need to run different to 2x DP and 1x DVI-D to get 120hz?

05/14/2014 09:04 PM

Author Icon
Lobsterbread
Peon

Originally posted by: ArkaynAdrian Hi everyone,

I have xfire 7970's (Gigabyte reference) and 3 Samsung S27A950D monitors. These monitors support DP, DVI-D and HDMI.

When I do a Eyefinity setup of 5760x1080 I can only select 60 hz in Windows and Catalyst control panel.

IF I run 1 monitor at a time I can select 120hz on the two connected by DP but only 60hz on the DVI-D (windows and CCC).

Do I need an DVI to DP adapter so that all 3 monitors are connected by DP to get 120hz Eyefinity?

I ask cause everything I find says I can do 120hz with DVI-D or DP but it won't work for me hence I may have another issue. All driver versions from 14.4beta all the way through the 13's has this issue. The other thing that throws me is nVidia works with DVI-D for 120hz multiscreen.

Hello ArkaynAdrian

Sorry to hear that you're having issues with being able to setup 120hz Eyefinity with 2 DP + 1 DVI-D. (Correct me if I'm mistaken)

I'm under the assumption (from the information you've provided) that you've already tried 2 DP(to miniDP) + 1 DVI-D connections and you are still unable to get 120hz frequency, yes?

If that's the case, it sounds as if you may need an Active Adapter with the following configuration:

Monitor DP -> MiniDP Port

Monitor DVI-D -> DVI-D Port

Monitor DVI-D + Active Adapter -> MiniDP Port

I highly recommend seeing if you have a friend that has an Active Adapter to test this theory as it's a little on the expensive side (and not to mention finnicky).

Something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Accell-UltraAV-B087B-002B-DisplayPort-Dual-Link/dp/B002ISVI3U/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1400115283&sr=8-14&keywords=DVI-D+Active+Adapter

I've used these Active Adapters for years and I suggest getting one as a last resort as they are finnicky and clunky.

For me, I'm currently using R9 290's with 2 DVI-D + DP for my 120hz eyefinity setup (and another 1080p 60hz monitor via HDMI for a 3x1 +1 Extended setup).

When I was using 7970's I was using DVI-D + 2 (DVI-D to miniDP Adapters [same ones as the link I provided above]) and those allowed me to run Eyefinity at 120hz.

Let me know what you think.

Again, I stress that the adapter be a last resort scenario as they're not the greatest things in the world.

Maybe get a DP2.1 Hub?

-------------------------

Intel i7 3960x @ 4.7GHz | CaseLabs MAGNUM M10 | ASUS Rampage IV Extreme | 3 XFX R9 290 @ 1075/1375 | 8 x 4GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133MHz | OCZ RevoDrive 3 x2 240GB PCI-E SSD | Corsair AX1200 PSU | 4 ACER GD235HZ 120hz Monitors | 23.25 TB of Total HDD Storage |

05/15/2014 04:51 AM

Author Icon
ArkaynAdrian
Peon

Originally posted by: Lobsterbread
Originally posted by: ArkaynAdrian Hi everyone,

Hello ArkaynAdrian

Sorry to hear that you're having issues with being able to setup 120hz Eyefinity with 2 DP + 1 DVI-D. (Correct me if I'm mistaken)

I'm under the assumption (from the information you've provided) that you've already tried 2 DP(to miniDP) + 1 DVI-D connections and you are still unable to get 120hz frequency, yes?

If that's the case, it sounds as if you may need an Active Adapter with the following configuration:

Monitor DP -> MiniDP Port

Monitor DVI-D -> DVI-D Port

Monitor DVI-D + Active Adapter -> MiniDP Port

I highly recommend seeing if you have a friend that has an Active Adapter to test this theory as it's a little on the expensive side (and not to mention finnicky).

Something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Accell-UltraAV-B087B-002B-DisplayPort-Dual-Link/dp/B002ISVI3U/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1400115283&sr=8-14&keywords=DVI-D+Active+Adapter

I've used these Active Adapters for years and I suggest getting one as a last resort as they are finnicky and clunky.

For me, I'm currently using R9 290's with 2 DVI-D + DP for my 120hz eyefinity setup (and another 1080p 60hz monitor via HDMI for a 3x1 +1 Extended setup).

When I was using 7970's I was using DVI-D + 2 (DVI-D to miniDP Adapters [same ones as the link I provided above]) and those allowed me to run Eyefinity at 120hz.

Let me know what you think.

Again, I stress that the adapter be a last resort scenario as they're not the greatest things in the world.

Maybe get a DP2.1 Hub?

Don't need an active adapter. I de then reattached the dvi-dl cable with the PC on as another forum poster mentioned he did it and viola. It worked. Apparently it is a known issue with AMD cards. AMD drivers strike again....

Edited: 05/15/2014 at 07:58 AM by ArkaynAdrian
 05/17/2014 05:50 AM

Author Icon
ArkaynAdrian
Peon

OK SOOOOO it does not stick after a restart of windows.

Very lame. ANy ideas anyone?

I sent a support ticket to AMD but let's face it. The others that needed fixing so far take 12months plus.

07/12/2014 08:45 PM

Author Icon
Funkn3ss
Peon

I have been experiencing the same exact problem.

But know it has turned into having some werid zooming effect in games.

Statistics
85483 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.