Topic Title: Eyefinity 120hz not available.
Topic Summary: AMD Eyefinity
Created On: 05/14/2014 08:24 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/14/2014 08:24 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
ArkaynAdrian
Peon

Hi everyone,

I think my issue is slightly different to what I can find on here and google.

I have xfire 7970's (Gigabyte reference) and 3 Samsung S27A950D monitors. These monitors support DP, DVI-D and HDMI.

When I do a Eyefinity setup of 5760x1080 I can only select 60 hz in Windows and Catalyst control panel.

IF I run 1 monitor at a time I can select 120hz on the two connected by DP but only 60hz on the DVI-D (windows and CCC).

The cable is 100% DVI-D. I have installed the monitor drivers too.

Do I need an DVI to DP adapter so that all 3 monitors are connected by DP to get 120hz Eyefinity?

Does the adapter need to be ACTIVE?

I ask cause everything I find says I can do 120hz with DVI-D or DP but it won't work for me hence I may have another issue. All driver versions from 14.4beta all the way through the 13's has this issue. The other thing that throws me is nVidia works with DVI-D for 120hz multiscreen.

So in short do I need to run different to 2x DP and 1x DVI-D to get 120hz?

05/14/2014 09:04 PM

Author Icon
Lobsterbread
Peon

Originally posted by: ArkaynAdrian Hi everyone,

I have xfire 7970's (Gigabyte reference) and 3 Samsung S27A950D monitors. These monitors support DP, DVI-D and HDMI.

When I do a Eyefinity setup of 5760x1080 I can only select 60 hz in Windows and Catalyst control panel.

IF I run 1 monitor at a time I can select 120hz on the two connected by DP but only 60hz on the DVI-D (windows and CCC).

Do I need an DVI to DP adapter so that all 3 monitors are connected by DP to get 120hz Eyefinity?

I ask cause everything I find says I can do 120hz with DVI-D or DP but it won't work for me hence I may have another issue. All driver versions from 14.4beta all the way through the 13's has this issue. The other thing that throws me is nVidia works with DVI-D for 120hz multiscreen.

Hello ArkaynAdrian

Sorry to hear that you're having issues with being able to setup 120hz Eyefinity with 2 DP + 1 DVI-D. (Correct me if I'm mistaken)

I'm under the assumption (from the information you've provided) that you've already tried 2 DP(to miniDP) + 1 DVI-D connections and you are still unable to get 120hz frequency, yes?

If that's the case, it sounds as if you may need an Active Adapter with the following configuration:

Monitor DP -> MiniDP Port

Monitor DVI-D -> DVI-D Port

Monitor DVI-D + Active Adapter -> MiniDP Port

I highly recommend seeing if you have a friend that has an Active Adapter to test this theory as it's a little on the expensive side (and not to mention finnicky).

Something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Accell-UltraAV-B087B-002B-DisplayPort-Dual-Link/dp/B002ISVI3U/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1400115283&sr=8-14&keywords=DVI-D+Active+Adapter

I've used these Active Adapters for years and I suggest getting one as a last resort as they are finnicky and clunky.

For me, I'm currently using R9 290's with 2 DVI-D + DP for my 120hz eyefinity setup (and another 1080p 60hz monitor via HDMI for a 3x1 +1 Extended setup).

When I was using 7970's I was using DVI-D + 2 (DVI-D to miniDP Adapters [same ones as the link I provided above]) and those allowed me to run Eyefinity at 120hz.

Let me know what you think.

Again, I stress that the adapter be a last resort scenario as they're not the greatest things in the world.

Maybe get a DP2.1 Hub?

-------------------------

Intel i7 3960x @ 4.7GHz | CaseLabs MAGNUM M10 | ASUS Rampage IV Extreme | 3 XFX R9 290 @ 1075/1375 | 8 x 4GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133MHz | OCZ RevoDrive 3 x2 240GB PCI-E SSD | Corsair AX1200 PSU | 4 ACER GD235HZ 120hz Monitors | 23.25 TB of Total HDD Storage |

05/15/2014 04:51 AM

Author Icon
ArkaynAdrian
Peon

Originally posted by: Lobsterbread
Originally posted by: ArkaynAdrian Hi everyone,

Hello ArkaynAdrian

Sorry to hear that you're having issues with being able to setup 120hz Eyefinity with 2 DP + 1 DVI-D. (Correct me if I'm mistaken)

I'm under the assumption (from the information you've provided) that you've already tried 2 DP(to miniDP) + 1 DVI-D connections and you are still unable to get 120hz frequency, yes?

If that's the case, it sounds as if you may need an Active Adapter with the following configuration:

Monitor DP -> MiniDP Port

Monitor DVI-D -> DVI-D Port

Monitor DVI-D + Active Adapter -> MiniDP Port

I highly recommend seeing if you have a friend that has an Active Adapter to test this theory as it's a little on the expensive side (and not to mention finnicky).

Something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Accell-UltraAV-B087B-002B-DisplayPort-Dual-Link/dp/B002ISVI3U/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1400115283&sr=8-14&keywords=DVI-D+Active+Adapter

I've used these Active Adapters for years and I suggest getting one as a last resort as they are finnicky and clunky.

For me, I'm currently using R9 290's with 2 DVI-D + DP for my 120hz eyefinity setup (and another 1080p 60hz monitor via HDMI for a 3x1 +1 Extended setup).

When I was using 7970's I was using DVI-D + 2 (DVI-D to miniDP Adapters [same ones as the link I provided above]) and those allowed me to run Eyefinity at 120hz.

Let me know what you think.

Again, I stress that the adapter be a last resort scenario as they're not the greatest things in the world.

Maybe get a DP2.1 Hub?

Don't need an active adapter. I de then reattached the dvi-dl cable with the PC on as another forum poster mentioned he did it and viola. It worked. Apparently it is a known issue with AMD cards. AMD drivers strike again....

Edited: 05/15/2014 at 07:58 AM by ArkaynAdrian
 05/17/2014 05:50 AM

Author Icon
ArkaynAdrian
Peon

OK SOOOOO it does not stick after a restart of windows.

Very lame. ANy ideas anyone?

I sent a support ticket to AMD but let's face it. The others that needed fixing so far take 12months plus.

07/12/2014 08:45 PM

Author Icon
Funkn3ss
Peon

I have been experiencing the same exact problem.

But know it has turned into having some werid zooming effect in games.

11/03/2014 04:42 AM

Author Icon
ArkaynAdrian
Peon

Beta 14.9.2 and still an issue. Typical terrible AMD.

Statistics
88789 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.