CrossFire is breaking a number of games I play visually. I observe artifacting in Starcraft 2, microstuttering in L4D2 and dead frames during Max Payne 3's cinematics. When I disable CrossFire, these problems all go away.
All of the prerequisite system info is below:
- Primary: XFXAMD Radeon HD 7870 2GB GDDR5 2DVI/HDMI/2 Mini Display Port PCI-Express Video Card FX787ACNFC
- Secondary: XFX Double D FX-785A-CDFC Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
AMD Catalyst Driver Version, and Driver History
- Current: 13.3 Beta March 19, 2013 (DxDiag reads Version 220.127.116.11)
- Tried: 13.1 January 17, 2013
- Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Service Pack 1
Max Payne 3: Max Payne 3 has a cinematic style where the cinematics play in one portion of the screen and the other portion is supposed to be all black. When CrossFireX is enabled, a frame from earlier in the level is frozen in those spaces and does not move until gameplay resumes after the cinematic and a frame takes up the whole screen again.
Left 4 Dead 2: Framerate is not consistent and microstuttering is extremely prevalent with all settings maxed out. With CrossFireX disabled, framerate is capped at a smooth 60 FPS and no microstuttering is observed.
Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm: Artifacting is noticed on the map terrain during a game. Parts of the map will flicker to the color back and then back to the texture they were originally.
Motherboard or System Make & Model
- GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD
- COUGAR CMX 1000 COUGAR-1000CMX 1000W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE
Display Device(s) and Connection(s) Used
- ASUS LCD Monitor
Applications and Games
- All games are patched to their latest version
- AMD FX-8350 Vishera 4.0GHz (4.2GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor FD8350FRHKBOX
Motherboard BIOS Version
System Memory Type & Amount
- G.SKILL Ares Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C10Q-32GAOO
- SAMSUNG 840 Series MZ-7TD500KW 2.5" 500GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD