Topic Title: 4850 Crossfire. 13.1 causing computer restart
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06/11/2013 01:48 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/11/2013 01:48 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
kimbo12
Peon

I just did a fresh install of windows. Had a crash that messed up windows system driver files. Unrelated but now i'm on a fresh install. I've been having problems in the past about getting any driver above like 10.6 maybe? (Been awhile) to work. I figured that was an issue on my old OS installation that caused a different issue where the screen would lock, and these tiny white rectangles flickered around the screen. Now I've fully updated windows and a fresh install. I've looked into the .net 4 installed. I have .net 4.5 installed. and I install my drivers. Restart. When windows comes back it pops up the amd vision engine box telling about crossfire with a buton for "Go" I click this or i try to enter the vision engine center. My computer screen goes black, and both my video cards turn up to full speed. (The fans that is  cause they sound like jet engines under load lol....) I've been searching around the internet I can't seem to find a similar issue. To try to work with. I have amd vision unistalled, and just using the drivers from windows update. Which is driver version - 8.961.0.0 when I go to the device manager. So at this point I don't think it is the actual drivers from 13.1 that are giving the issues. I think it is something to do with the opening of the amd vision engine center. At this point i'm not sure if I need to spend hours back tracking through CCC versions until I find a stable version like my old OS installation which was around 10.6? Or if someone has had or seem a similar issue with a solution. 

OS - Windows 7 64
Mobo - asus m4a78 plus
CPU - amd phenon II x4 949
4gb ram
Video cards - 2x - xfx 4850
Run Dual monitor setup.
psu - raidmax Rx 630SS

06/11/2013 11:20 PM

Author Icon
Vegan
Elite

I wonder if your PSU is working OK, that is a cheaper model and many such seem to not last long.

-------------------------

06/11/2013 11:38 PM

Author Icon
kimbo12
Peon

Well I've been working on this issue more. I've updated my bios. Unistalled. All ati stuff using there own driver/software utility. Reistalled. No change. I let windows update install those drivers run gpuz I get crossfire is working on both cards. (confusing what that means since I thought crossfire had to be turned on in the CCC) I've now pulled my desktop pulled a card out. Running just one. Well comes back a problem but different. As soon as I open the vision engine center. Everything locks up. and I get these 2 or 3 pixel long rectangles flickering scattered across my screen. I can see everything still. I can't move my mouse or do anything. But these pixels are flickering. At this point i'm at a loss.

1-Windows fully updated clean install
2-Net 4.5 installed. (not rulling out .net failures yet)
3-Bios fully updated.
4-Always used ATI's own removal tool for cleaning. (Which should be sufficient for all this unistalling and reinstalling of drivers)

Idk what to add to this kind of checklist to go through, and make sure it's up to par. 

To comment on your I do know my psu isn't the best quality but having run crossfire on older drivers no problem doesn't seem like it should be the issue. I really feel like it has something to do with the vision center opening.

1-What does it do when it opens? Scan hardware or configures?
2- I guess I want to know what does it do when it opens. It does more then run a cute little software for me to look at. The more I know what it doing, and looking to do with my hardware better I can track down this issue. 
3-Why can I run just windows update drivers no crashes? and gpuz reports crossfire? (If I can get crossfire that way forget the vision engine center)

On a side note taking note taking the cards out again (Been awhile). The xfx hd 4850 is a pretty cool looking card. lol

06/12/2013 07:02 PM

Author Icon
kimbo12
Peon

To further update this post on what I've been trying, and hope something catches someone's eye as to what is going on. When I remove amd vision engine from start up. Just run pure drivers. No crashing. No screen lock ups. No weird pixels. I'm pretty sure something is going on with amd vision engine, and I don't know what cause's the problem. I run radeon pro, and I get no errors or problems. But that doesn't have Crossfire enabling right now. 

06/12/2013 11:32 PM

Author Icon
kimbo12
Peon

Adding another update. Trying to make something work. The 10.6 drivers work on my computer which are the drivers that come with the cd's. I can open and use catalyst. So this to me eliminates the PSU problem. Also I'm wondering from what i've gathered on the internet if this is a .net 4 issues. With the newer driver versions. Since I guess they're was a period of switch from .net 3 to .net 4?

06/13/2013 11:32 PM

Author Icon
Vegan
Elite

there are lots of known bugs with .NET 4.5

-------------------------

Statistics
84719 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 9 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.