Topic Title: Help with driver install/update!!
Topic Summary: ^
Created On: 06/19/2013 10:06 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/19/2013 10:06 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
comando26
Peon

okay the problem i am having is when i install any driver or updated driver for my graphics cards, it installs, and when i restart the screen stays black but i can hear with windows startup chime. heres my info:

1. Processor - AMD FX 8350 8 core
2. Graphics card - Crossfired 7970's
3. OS - WIN7 64 bit
4. Driver version - NONE (cant install any)

5. Power Supply - nzxt hale90 v2 np-1gm-1000a 1000w atx 12v v2.31

6. RAM - 16g ddr3
7. Did your computer come with the OS and Graphics card you have now?

yes it was custom built from ibuypower.com
8. Monitor resolution (native), connected by (DVI, HDMI, etc)

1360x768 via hdmi

06/19/2013 10:40 AM

Author Icon
Marc@AMD
Forum Moderator

AMD is currently aware of the issue surrounding driver installation problems with Crossfire systems.  There are two reported install issues:

1. Black screen after driver install
  2. Blue Screen crash during driver install, or after.

I know that AMD's development teams are working to resolve this matter as quickly as possible.  Catalyst 12.10 was the last reported driver to not have those install issues.

;Marc

-------------------------

AMD Customer Care

The information presented in this document is for informational purposes only and may contain technical inaccuracies, omissions and typographical errors. Links to third party sites are for convenience only, and no endorsement is implied.

06/19/2013 11:28 AM

Author Icon
comando26
Peon

okay i installed those drivers and everything is fine except now the main card i use, the fan goes up to 100% unless i set it manually in control center. it says 0 degrees temp and 0% activity on it but everything seems okay as long as i adjust it manually. i shouldnt have to set it manually though, should i?

06/19/2013 04:00 PM

Author Icon
Marc@AMD
Forum Moderator

When does it go to 100% fan-speed? 
> Games? Desktop? In the BIOS?

Where are you reading 0C and 0% activity?
> CCC, or another application?

You should not need to play around with fan-speed settings unless you enjoy tweaking around with it.  Can I confirm a very thorough driver uninstall was completely prior to installing 12.10?

;Marc

-------------------------

AMD Customer Care

The information presented in this document is for informational purposes only and may contain technical inaccuracies, omissions and typographical errors. Links to third party sites are for convenience only, and no endorsement is implied.

07/09/2013 06:07 PM

Author Icon
onegemini77
Peon

Is there any word on when they may have an updated driver that will allow Crossdfire to be re-enabled?

Here is my system info:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Professional

Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601

Other OS Description Not Available

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Name GEMINI-SYSTEM

System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.

System Model GA-970A-UD3

System Type x64-based PC

Processor AMD FX(tm)-8150 Eight-Core Processor, 3600 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. F3, 8/31/2011

SMBIOS Version 2.4

Windows Directory C:\Windows

System Directory C:\Windows\system32

Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1

Locale United States

Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"

User Name Gemini-System\Anthony

Time Zone Pacific Daylight Time

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB

Total Physical Memory 8.00 GB

Available Physical Memory 6.19 GB

Total Virtual Memory 16.0 GB

Available Virtual Memory 13.7 GB

Page File Space 8.00 GB

Page File C:\pagefile.sys

The following is the infor for both Graphics Cards:
Graphics Chipset AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series
Device ID 6739
Vendor ID 1002
Subsystem ID 200F
Subsystem Vendor ID 1787
Graphics Bus Capability PCI Express 2.0
Maximum Bus Setting PCI Express 2.0 x16
BIOS Version 013.012.000.025
BIOS Part Number 113-SR1G04-301
BIOS Date 2011/09/01
Memory Size 1024 MB
Memory Type GDDR5
Core Clock in MHz 820 MHz
Memory Clock in MHz 1100 MHz
Total Memory Bandwidth in GByte/s 140.8 GByte/s
I had similar trouble installing latest Drivers. I had one of two issues. Normal Windows Boot then install - Screen would flicker at Driver install(As it has on past updates) but at third or fourth flicker screen would go blank and monitor would say no HDMI input detected(DVI-HDMI cord used for HD Monitor).
The second method would be a clean install after using the downloaded AMD cleanup, deleting temp files and shuttingoff firewall and anti-virus. This would force screen to lowest resolution and allow install. However, upon reboot, after windows splashs creen but before Windows Login, the screen would go black with a cursor in top left corner. No mouse and no keyboard inputs apparent. This would force a computer reset.

This may be helpful: I unplugged the crossfire ribbon from both graphics card and reinstalled using the second method above. This installed everything correctly. I then replugged in the crossfire ribbon to both graphics cards. However, crossfire is disabled in AMD Vision Engine Control Center. If you attempt to enable crossfire there, the screen will flicker and go black with cursor in top left corner of the screen.
I am not sure how much it will affect everyone's performance to run their computers with crossfire disabled and latest drivers as opposed to reverting to an older driver (Catalyst 12.10 as Marc@AMD mentioed). I just thought the additional info about installing with the crossfire ribbon detached might be helpful.
I hope that the next driver update from AMD will have this resolved as I would hate to think my investment in two expensive video cards is going to waste. Especially since many games and such do not function as well with the older video drivers.
Thank You,
onegemini77
Statistics
86519 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.