Topic Title: Questions about Crossfire and frame pacing
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/03/2013 04:48 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/03/2013 04:48 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
7stars
Peon

hi AMD,

have some questions for you, please:
when Splinter Cell BL has not support for AMD Crossfire, low gpu usage and random crash (single gpu works better and no crash, but not perfect) is a Ubisoft fault or AMD fault? It's all about Ubisoft featuring Nvidia or AMD drivers? Is always an AMD drivers team fault? Indeed i don't think so but can't understand if someone doesn't deign to answer. I'm a customer, bought several cards in years and pretend persuasive answers. Please, can you make clear this concept to me? E.g. about Ubisoft "multigpu optimization" in the 1.01 patch notes, what multigpu system do they mean? I don't see any optimization here and the game random crashes...is a good behavior by developers to support AMD OR Nvidia only? 
and also, why developers mainly privilege consoles if the pc has a huge potential? Are pc version issues often due to console porting? 
The next gen console architecture will help the future PC porting or we'll always have the same issues? Many games suffer from stuttering yet e. g. Skyrim (single and cross), Far Cry 3 (single and cross), Saints row 4 (crossfire)... indeed i can't find ONLY ONE GAME which is really smooth in crossfire. It's time to fix or not? Can your 7000 series GCN architecture be fixed by software drivers only or indeed not.. and above all not now? How much time i have to wait to see a completely smooth animation? COMPLETELY, not precarious...not sometimes stuttering of frame drops. THANKS (pissed off customer)

09/03/2013 05:04 PM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

You're not a customer of the AMD community, so let's just ignore your bullsh*t there. If you want something from AMD, talk to AMD, not to your fellow gamers. This is as ridiculous as your problem itself, if not more.

To answer your initial question: It is actually the fault of 3dfx, a company that no longer exists. You see, it was them who invented the stupid idea of using multiple video cards together.

As it has already been told in your other thread, both CF and SLI are crap and shouldn't exist at all. Why do they exist? Because of the stupid competition going between the 2 companies. Neither can admit these technologies as a failure, because it would hit them too hard.

Yes, it's a bit late to say, but you should have done some research before you buy stuff. Everyone says avoid multi-GPU configurations. (Except for those who have such thing and need to excuse themselves...)

You are right of course in a sense that it should work as advertised. However, it never had, does not and probably never will. You can fill in issue reporting forms, sue AMD, sue nvidia, sue 3dfx, RMA the cards, do whatever you like. The only useful info was already given to you by BZ in your other thread. If you want problem free gaming, switch to a single GPU config. Yes, it's less cool, smaller epeen etc., but games will run just fine.

-------------------------

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

09/03/2013 05:18 PM

Author Icon
7stars
Peon

i could understand your point if AMD had a support team which replies to these questions... HOW to talk to AMD? There i can fill a drivers feedback survey and nothing else. Nobody replies. Maybe here someone reads...and not only, this can help other gamers.

If they release a product advertising in a certain way, must work in that way. At least here you agree with me...

09/04/2013 12:28 AM

Author Icon
Earnhardt
Case Modder

Originally posted by: Eydee You're not a customer of the AMD community, so let's just ignore your bullsh*t there. If you want something from AMD, talk to AMD, not to your fellow gamers. This is as ridiculous as your problem itself, if not more.

To answer your initial question: It is actually the fault of 3dfx, a company that no longer exists. You see, it was them who invented the stupid idea of using multiple video cards together.

As it has already been told in your other thread, both CF and SLI are crap and shouldn't exist at all. Why do they exist? Because of the stupid competition going between the 2 companies. Neither can admit these technologies as a failure, because it would hit them too hard.

Yes, it's a bit late to say, but you should have done some research before you buy stuff. Everyone says avoid multi-GPU configurations. (Except for those who have such thing and need to excuse themselves...)

You are right of course in a sense that it should work as advertised. However, it never had, does not and probably never will. You can fill in issue reporting forms, sue AMD, sue nvidia, sue 3dfx, RMA the cards, do whatever you like. The only useful info was already given to you by BZ in your other thread. If you want problem free gaming, switch to a single GPU config. Yes, it's less cool, smaller epeen etc., but games will run just fine.

Whoa there my little pony....I have been using crossfire since the 3870 days and have been extremely happy with it,I am mainly a battlefield player,but have played a few others as well.I have built many a machine for myself and others and have yet to have any issues with any of them.

if a game doesnt support it,I just disable 1 card and carry on.I have never used/needed a registry cleaner of any kind,The AMD one has worked flawless.

to date i have crossfired-3870,4850,4870,5850,5870,6950,7870 and 7950's,all with great success.

AMD Phenom II 1100t @4.0Ghz /Asus sabertooth 990fx/2x Gigabyte 3G 7950's in crossfire/500G samsung 840 ssd/16G G-Skill Ripjaw 1600/2-samsung 24" monitors 1920X1200/Corsair AX1200W psu/W7 pro 64,G19 keyboard,Roccat kone pure mouse,Cooler master HAF932,Corsair H100i water cooler,Zalman ram cooler.Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series,Logitech Z5500 speakers,Roccat Kave 5.1 headset.

09/13/2013 08:39 AM

Author Icon
7stars
Peon

finally found the big issue. My system was ultra stable and dpc latency really low... could not find the main source of the problems...

here I paste my new post on Guru3d...

so, I must admit that the situation is really improved now.

Kind suggestion: if you have an old windows installation (but also already installed old drivers), you never cleaned properly your system and drivers, use the latest version of atiman uninstaller.

Installed win 7 64 last year (or more) and changed many drivers...the AMD uninstallation (even if with complete option) simply doesn't work in the right way and the free edition of "Driver Fusion" doesn't do anything. You have no idea how much stuff AMD keeps around the folders and the windows registry. Something goes wrong, something does conflicts and performance degrades in an incredible way. Practically until yesterday I have never been able to evaluate the frame pacing in the proper way...something was old, something didn't work as expected. Now frames per second in Crossfire are monstrous, even at Ultra details for almost every game! and stuttering almost gone...

Well...or do a clean install of Windows (better 7 64bit) OR:

1) completely uninstall AMD software and reboot

2) launch the latest version of Atiman uninstaller (7.0.2)

3) choose automatic uninstall

4) it does a bit long procedure, but it's amazing and does not even make a mistake

5) at the end reboot and recheck the atiman logs

6) reboot so it resets a 640x480 resolution

7) ccleaner for the final cleaning

8) reboot and finally install the new drivers package

9) reboot, disable ULPS and reboot again

10) done...

difference is like night and day, guaranteed

p.s.: also suggest to keep the vsync off, because there's no input lag with high fps and tearing almost never annoying...I don't notice it as before

played Crysis 3, Bioshock Infinite, Metro Last Light, Tomb Raider and Hitman Absolution, all at Ultra settings...no complaints

09/17/2013 03:33 PM

Author Icon
UcouldBrong
Overclocker

Uhhh...what was THE point, again??

Non-noob components.

09/17/2013 05:04 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

Not sure, apparently he kept his system in a state of disrepair and it bit him in the butt. Over two years of using an HD 5970 and I only had to use DriverCleaner twice, which is when I reverted to older drivers.

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
Statistics
84125 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 12 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.