Topic Title: Powercolor Radeon HD 7870XT 3GB (Tahiti LE) Crossfire Problems
Topic Summary: As soon as I enable crossfire, all hell breaks loose!
Created On: 10/09/2013 09:03 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/09/2013 09:03 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Alouette Radeon
Peon

Ok, I bought 2 brand-new Powercolor Radeon HD 7870XT cards and installed them.  I've had 2 Radeon HD 4870s in crossfire for 4 years and have never encountered this kind of problem before.  I'll start with my system components and stats and then explain the problem:

CPU: AMD FX-8350

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 BIOS revision F9 (latest non-beta)

RAM: 16GB UMAX Cetus DDR3-1333 (4x4GB)

PSU: OCZ Z-Series 1000W Modular 80+ Gold-Certified

Ok, now that I have that out of the way, when I use one card alone, everything is fine.  When I have 2 cards installed but crossfire is not enabled, everything seems fine.  As soon as I enable crossfire, the following things happen:

1.) Windows Performance Index test causes a system freeze at Direct3D 10 Batch Assessment

2.) Restart and Shutdown both shut down windows but the computer will not turn off or restart.  It just sits there with a black screen.

3.) Any attempt to even load 3DMark causes the system to freeze.

4.) Any attempt to disable crossfire or uninstall the drivers results in a monitor-off system crash.

5.) Upon logging in, the screen remains black longer than usual and there are a few coloured lines across the screen.  The login music plays to a black screen and then the login prompt pops up.

Now, I've returned the original two cards and am now on my second set.  I do not know what is causing this and it's driving me nuts.  My two Radeon HD 4870s which I've had in crossfire for the longest time both work flawlessly.  I've tried 4 different driver sets and nothing seems to make any difference.  Does anyone have any idea what is going on with my system?  I've been building computers for 25 years and I am completely stumped as to what is causing all this.  I got a great deal on the cards and I'm really starting to lose my mind over this.

-------------------------

Intel is SATAN and nVidia sits at Intel's left hand.

10/09/2013 11:14 PM

Author Icon
Vantharas
Polygon Pusher

If the cards test fine individually. At that point I'd simply create a small windows partition and just do a fresh install to see if its a windows issue of some sort. 

The other thing I would do is also use CCcleaner and Driver sweeper. And wipe out all AMD related files and install the latest version of the drivers.  If that failed I would contact gigabyte. That motherboard should let you put the two cards in any of the PCI-E slots you want to really , and should work. So I would look into trying a different combination of PCI-E slots as well. 

The only time I ever had this happen though is one of the cards was bad. 

I5 3570K@4~5.0ghz: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H:Corsair Hydro H110 :16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR-3 1600: XFX Radeon 7950 @ 1100/1575 : Corsair AX 860 PSU: x1 WD Black 1TB HDD's: 90GB Agility 3: 960GB SSD : Creative Labs X-FI:Corsair 500R Arctic White Edition:3 22inch Monitors Eyefinity @ 5294x 1050 : Alienware Tact-X Keyboard: Razer Naga :Corsair Vengence 1500 Headset: Corsair SP2500 Speakers

10/10/2013 08:54 PM

Author Icon
Alouette Radeon
Peon

Thanks Vanthras.  Yes, I use CCleaner right before I turn my computer off so at least twice a day.  I use atiman to remove driver "residue".  The problem, of all things, was that my cards needed the PCI Express power setting to be set to "Maximum Power Savings".  David at NCIX Mississauga was about to RMA a second set of cards when he had a hunch.  Well, his hunch was right.  He went into my power settings and changed the PCI Express from "Off" to "maximum power settings" and that immediately solved the problem.  The man is a genius and deserves all the praise anyone can give him.  Hell, I was all ready to take a Gigabyte OC 1000 HD 7970 3GB when he solved it.  He and I were both shocked that this is all that was wrong and was causing so much havok in my system.

Intel is SATAN and nVidia sits at Intel's left hand.

Statistics
85565 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.