Topic Title: ATI Radeon HD 7870 - severe video glitching and flickering, lockups, crashes
Topic Summary: Severe video glitching that has started to occur since updating my drivers very recently
Created On: 11/30/2013 05:19 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/30/2013 05:19 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Kazmahu
Peon

Graphics Card
A pair of AMD Radeon HD 7870 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E Gaming Edition, crossfire enabled

AMD Catalyst Driver Version, and Driver History
Promblems started occurring when upgrading to driver version 13.152.1.8000

Operating System
Windows 8.0 64-bit

Issue Details
I recently (within the last few days of 30th November 2013) updated my video drivers to deal with some minor shadow flickering in games I was playing. This has resulted in every game I try to play crashing horribly. The entire screen starts to flicker, displaying muddy patterns or just garbage. The game sometimes contuine to run normally, until the entire system completely locks up. Resetting is the only way to recover.

So far the issue has occurred in Skyrim, Lego Marvel Superheroes, Tropico 4, and Minecraft (where it caused the glitching outside the game window as well). It seems to only happen when running games the require 3D modelling, it doesn't happen in 2d games, old ones or as modern as Starbound. Nor does it happen unprovoked on the desktop.

I say "unprovoked" because if a game starts glitching out this way but I manage to quite it normally, the graphical rubbish keeps happening on the desktop. Sometimes for a few moments before fixing itself, sometimes constantly until I restart. Turning off crossfire has not solved the issue, if anything, it made it happen more frequently.

Motherboard or System Make & Model
ASUS M5 A99X EVO R2.0, according to the side of the box.

AMD 990X + SB950 Motherboard Chipset accroding to the sticker on the side of the case. (The tower was a package deal of parts from a reputable store chain.)

Power Supply

Raidmax Technology Inc. 80W Gaming 80+ Gold. I can see a detailed sticker on the side, but can't physically get into position to read it at the moment.

Display Device(s) and Connection(s) Used
BenQ G2200W (Analog). Connect via a standard video cable, the kind with the blue plugs on each end. The end going to the PC has a grey-tan converter to fit into the correct port on the video card.

Applications and Games

As mentioned above, the issue has ocurred in Lego Marvel Superheroes, The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim, and Tropico 4. All are patched up to the lastest version through Steam. It's also triggered by Minecraft, running the latest version of both the game and the java environment.

CPU Details
AMD FX-8350 8-core processor, ~4.0GHz. The sticker on the case says "Factory overclocked", but I don't know any more details.

Motherboard BIOS Version
Ver 04.06.05 according to DxDiag.

System Memory Type & Amount
16GB DDR3 1600Mbps Gaming Memory. Not sure of the manufacturer.

Additional Hardware
Operating system and drivers are installed on a 120GB SATA III Solid Sate Drive. Most other stuff (including the games being run) is on a 3TB Sata 3 7200RPM hard drive. Additional hardware includes a BD-ROM drive, a reader for several types of memory cards, and a tiny little circuitboard for turning the decorative case lights on and off. The case is a CM Stryker model with 6 sets of fans (8 if you count to two pairs as one each.)

Additional Details
I have run full scans with a paid version of Avast and freeware Malwarebytes to check the system is clean. An alternative PC I have (a much weaker setup) produces absolutely no problems using the exact same screen and cable.

Edited: 12/17/2013 at 06:10 AM by Kazmahu
 12/17/2013 06:11 AM

Author Icon
Kazmahu
Peon

Bump. These issues are still ocurring, and I clarified/added some detail to the post.

12/17/2013 06:19 AM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

Sounds like overheating and/or too much OC.

-------------------------

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

12/17/2013 06:27 AM

Author Icon
Kazmahu
Peon

The card aren't overclocked, to my knowledge. If they were, it was done by the vendor, though I've done a complete uninstall/reinstall of the drivers since then, following instructions from this very forum.

Having just had a look now, while doing nothing by looking at this forum and a youtube video, the fans on the secondary card (the one my monitor isn't plugged into) aren't moving, but the primary one is. Is that normal? Does the second card only start up when crossfire calls for it or something?

EDIT: Sorry, stupid question. Just went ahead and checked for myself, the fans start up when I start a game. Is there an easy way to check the running temperatures of the cards?

12/17/2013 10:04 AM

Author Icon
tyraarane
Peon

A third-party program like GPU-Z or MSI Afterburner will give you a readout of GPU temp, fan speed, etc. Both also support logging to file, so if your system crashes mid-test you can get a readout of what the temperatures were at the time of the crash.

Personally I prefer Afterburner (I run it 24/7 for a fan speed profile, limiting framerates in older games to 60FPS, etc.), but for just a quick test GPU-Z is probably the best choice since it's a standalone .exe and doesn't require an install.

12/17/2013 06:55 PM

Author Icon
Kazmahu
Peon

Alright, I just used GPU-Z to check the temperature while running Tropico 4, which always starts glitching frequently. The fans seems to be working normally, and the reading sits at a steady ~50 degrees (celcius, I assume). Is that about normal?

12/17/2013 07:17 PM

Author Icon
deathcrush87
Grinding Levels

yes its normal.

those games youre playing are not crossfire-friendly ones.

try other games.

AMD FX8350//Corsair vengeance DDR3 CL9 8GB@1600//Asus ROG Crosshair V Formula z//Asus R9 290X oc DCII//Corsair CX750//Razer Lycosa//Corsair M30//Zalman Z11 plus case//Kingston 120gb SSD//Yamaha Audiogram6//Windows 8.1 64bit//

12/17/2013 07:21 PM

Author Icon
Kazmahu
Peon

I suppose at leaxe crossfire's easy to switch on and off, though that last time I tried that it solved absolutely nothing.

Is there some kind of reference list for games that are known not to play well with crossfire?

12/17/2013 07:26 PM

Author Icon
deathcrush87
Grinding Levels

well...

theres no list at all.

modern games usually from EA support crossfire well, like bfbc2, bf3, bf4, nfs series (since 2010), crysis 3 and some other games.

meanwhile most games do not support multiple gpu setups..

AMD FX8350//Corsair vengeance DDR3 CL9 8GB@1600//Asus ROG Crosshair V Formula z//Asus R9 290X oc DCII//Corsair CX750//Razer Lycosa//Corsair M30//Zalman Z11 plus case//Kingston 120gb SSD//Yamaha Audiogram6//Windows 8.1 64bit//

12/19/2013 04:29 AM

Author Icon
Kazmahu
Peon

Alright, disabling Crossfire has dramatically reduced the problems in Tropico 4, at least. There was still the occasional flicker.

Playing for longer this time, the GPU got as high as ~60 degrees, and the VRM as high as 70. Are these within normal range?

12/19/2013 04:53 AM

Author Icon
deathcrush87
Grinding Levels

im not saying normal, but they are about right.

the reason is that the game now takes the full power of you card, so it makes it hotter.

12/22/2013 05:38 AM

Author Icon
Kazmahu
Peon

Alright, I'm still having problems, and I've completely ruled out this being a Crossfire or overheating problem. Crossfire is disabled, the computer is running at idle temperatures, and Skyrim still causes my entire system to die horribly without fail. Is there anything else I can try?

12/22/2013 06:45 AM

Author Icon
deathcrush87
Grinding Levels

if the crossfire is off and your skyrim is a genuine game from steam, try to install the directx setup file in default c:\program files (x86)\steam\steam apps\common\skyrim by searching for dxsetup file.

if that did not help, right click on your skyrim game in steam, go to local files tab and click on "check the integrity of the files" or so.

if did not help, change the driver.

if again did not help contact the dealer from who/which you got your cards and ask for a return RMA number as defect cards.

hope it helps.

12/22/2013 02:34 PM

Author Icon
Sinsala
Peon

My friend have also struggled with flickering problems on his HD 7870.
GPU is only 2 months old and worked before he attached second monitor on it.
Now it have worked one day without problems when we ticked Reduce DVI Frequency on High-resolution displays from control panel. But well, you're using VGA-monitor so you don't have the same problem then. :/

I made a video of it and there are description of the problem. Nice light show.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G49mpSPbM04

06/17/2014 03:31 AM

Author Icon
MonkeyDMills
Peon

I'm having the same issue, did you ever find a fix?

06/17/2014 07:19 AM

Author Icon
backFireX64
Ubergeek

First, get rid of avast (or not, your choice). There are tons of way better free or paid anti-virus programs as far as protection is concerned. Avast seem to cause driver issues for some users, as i have read some posts on the internet. Take it with a grain of salt, or test yourself.

Malwarebytes is perfect for commando-type operations and proactive defence. I use it myself.

Test each card thoroughly one at a time on all pcie slots to isolate a potential hardware problem. Then do a crossfire check with different slot combinations.

Absolutely make a custom fan profile of approx. 50-70% constant speed and then check if the problem persists under in-game load, even if your temps seem good.

Upgrade to windows 8.1 with all windows updates, or reinstall w8 os, or w7 os. Then test again with different drivers.

Having crossfirex enabled in-game does not mean it works or scales well, so disable if there is no significant performance hit.

It's probably an os/ driver incompatibility, assuming the hardware is functioning normal.

gigabyte X58A-UD3R rev.2, core i7 975 3.9ghz (stock voltage), windows 8.1 64-bit, corsair 12gb DDR3 1600mhz 7-7-7-20 RAM, xfx HD 5970 + gigabyte HD 5970 (950mhz/ 1100mhz), coolermaster ultimate 900w PSU.
amd catalyst 14.12 Omega Driver

Statistics
88787 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 10 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.