Topic Title: R9 290X Crossfire Audio and Performance Issues (Beta Driver)
Topic Summary: (Distortion found only in 13.11 Beta v9.4 from 11/22)
Created On: 12/01/2013 02:35 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/08/2014 06:04 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
TurkzUowT
Peon

My Sysytem:

Windows 8.1

amd_catalyst_14.1_betav1.6 driver

Intel 4770k o/c to 4.4ghz

Asus Maximus Hero

2x SAPPHIRE TRI-X r9 290's (crossfire)

16gb 2400mhz RAM

Hi,

I am sending this message as myself along with the thousands of people accross the planet that have purchased your graphic cards with the intension to utilise what your company strongly advertises to the public namely CrossFire and have been unable to do so because AMD arn't delivering what their promising and selling to the public!!

Why adverstise CrossFire to the public if we can't use it!? It's called FALSE ADVERTISING!!

Why should we have to invest for two cards when all it's doing is sitting there in my box disabled because the sound crackling is unbearable and frame rates suck!!

It was almost 2 months ago that you mentioned that "AMD was looking into this issue" and in the mean time new drivers have been released and still problem persists!! Do you guys NOT test your cards in CrossFire because there is no way in hell that this kind of issue can go missed!!

Pull your finger out AMD!!

02/08/2014 06:10 AM

Author Icon
TurkzUowT
Peon

Originally posted by: Ray@AMD Thanks for the feedback guys.

We're looking into the issue.

YEA SURE YOU ARE!! BEEN ALMOST TWO MONTHS!!

Would be great if someone could at least keep us in the loop with a simple reply and let us know whats happening with this issue being fixed..

It's called common curtousy and customer service not rocket science...

02/13/2014 03:22 PM

Author Icon
Skinner
Peon

It seems they simply ignore the issue. I really don't understand why they act this way and not adressing this issue, or at least say a word on a possible fix.

But it even falls into the shadow what 14.1 done to my system....
Instead of fixing things this driver was a totall break of everything. I wouldn't mind this if there was a good alternative, in a former driver.

Well, I don't have much hope anymore this attitude will change and will sell the cards. It's a shame as the hardware is awesome.

02/15/2014 01:50 AM

Author Icon
eldarko
Peon

Hi all,

Lets not forget that we are nagging about beta driver here. I, for one, am partially satisfied with the new driver since I can see the improvements:

1. The issue that made r290cf impossible to use with the intel hd 4600 has been fixed. The system boots properly now with all three video carda active! For this, I am VERY thankful. Kudos to that one particular driver developer who fixed this, I owe him a beer.

02/15/2014 02:01 AM

Author Icon
eldarko
Peon

sorry for multi post, im writing from my mobile and its difficult to edit the post above.

2. the issue with sound cracking has actually been fixed! The only thing to do is, to make sure the vsync is OFF, not on! 

3. the driver installation has no crapware included and installs properly on a clean system.

BUT, there is a downside as well to these drivers:

1. Crysis, Farcry and unigine valley benchmark work flawlessly - for a couple of seconds only. Then, the apps crash and driver recovers.

02/15/2014 02:11 AM

Author Icon
eldarko
Peon

if it happens, that the game or the benchmark somehow manage not to break the driver in the first couple of seconds, the frame rate drops to ridiculous levels. I have had better performance on radeon 7790 then with 290cf. And, even so, the system hangs after 15min of playing at most.

Since I do see that some things are changing, I will not exchange the 290cf for a 780sli yet. I will wait for the official driver release and, if the problems still persist, I am also dropping these cards to ebay. 

02/16/2014 09:11 AM

Author Icon
Skinner
Peon

It is an issue with v-sync. to begin with, from the start of beta 13.11 V9.4. And disabling it is not a fix, but a temporal work arround. It's present for allmost 3 months now. There is also not a single word mentioned in the known issue's in the releasenotes, that there working on it. This is a schoolexample how not to treat customers, it's below every level. I will wait another new driverrelease, if not fixed, then goodby AMD. I aslo find this should have an article written on one or two major sites. People should be worned about this behavior.

02/16/2014 04:41 PM

Author Icon
Migman
Peon

Driver Packaging Version    13.251-131206a-166151E-ATI
These are the current drivers i am using, i have used them with my old motherboard (Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R) and now my new motherboard (Asus P9X79 LE) a complete reinstall of Windows 8.1, moved from a 980x to an 4930k processor, kept my ram and two 290X graphic cards, guess what, sound in crossfire is STILL corrupted, pitch still changes, distortion makes it almost impossible to hear what is supposed to be there, the ONLY way to alleviate this is to disable CROSSFIRE. Of course if i wanted to run my games on only one card i wouldn't have spent 420 or so pounds extra on another one, can you please at least try to do something about this,frankly, appalling situation.  P.S. v-sync enabled or disabled makes no difference for me.

Edited: 02/16/2014 at 04:50 PM by Migman
 02/19/2014 02:46 PM

Author Icon
TurkzUowT
Peon

I'm sorry but I didn't purchase TWO graphic cards so that I have to play my games with V-Sync off!!

There is no fix and I've tried both the beta and the latest drivers and both give crappy sound and jerky frame rates!!

02/19/2014 03:54 PM

Author Icon
Vanderkaum
Peon

Currently have this problem, after buying a second XFX R9 290 for XFire.

Vsync will cause audio/video distortion and choppy/slow gameplay, even with Vsync off, games like Metro Last Light, Far Cry 3, World of Tanks, Hitman Absolution and Crysis 3 are full of micro suttering and rather unsmooth gameplay, sometimes even crash or blackscreen even though both cards work properly alone.

Tried Beta Driver 14.1 and WHQL 13.12. Heard Beta 9.2 works, but haven't had the chance to try.

My rig:

Intel Core i7 3770k @ Default clocks.

Asrock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3

GSkill Ripjaw series 4 x 4GB (1333)

2x XFX R9 290's

Enermax Revo 85+ 920W PSU

Win 8.1 Pro 64 Bit

Edited: 02/19/2014 at 04:07 PM by Vanderkaum
 03/07/2014 12:50 AM

Author Icon
Elusiveparticle
Peon

I have the same issue with 2 XFX R9 290 DD's in crossfire on Windows 8.1 64 bit. I am using the latest beta drivers. I have a creative x fi installed, but it doesn't matter whether or not I use it or the on board sound, I get crackling in games and sometimes windows. When I turn off crossfire, the issue goes away.

03/11/2014 07:42 PM

Author Icon
Slim Tech
Peon

Did you check if the manufacturer has released a BIOS update?

I have two Asus R9 290x DC2OC and I have the same issue, but when I updated the BIOS the situation became a little better, at least the screen tearing with Vsync has became significant less.

Other than that the problem will be fix in the future with a better driver.

04/02/2014 08:13 PM

Author Icon
andrea_gi
Peon

This issue with audio (even on my corsair usb headphones) and stuttering  with Vsync on and crossfire enabled stll persist on 14.3 beta 1.0....unbelievable my rig is i7 3770k@4.2 ghz 32 gb ddr3 corsair 2x290 tri-x oc hw1050 corsair psu and asrock extreme 4 z77....why they remove the bridge? I'm sure that's the problem..

Game interested: all I've got... grid2 dirt t3 crysis 3, tomb raider, f1 2013, etc efc

05/03/2014 02:57 AM

Author Icon
John77
Peon

Wow...I just upgraded to two 290X video card...and am having the same issues as everyone else here.  I am running just one video card due to all these issues.  It sad to see how long these issues have been going on.  I HOPE they address and fix these issues soon....but I won't hold my breath.  This is the second time I have used AMD crossfire and both times I had major issues.

Edited: 05/03/2014 at 11:47 AM by John77
 05/03/2014 04:15 AM

Author Icon
andrea_gi
Peon

Switch to 14.4 rc and the issue seem gone...try them 

05/03/2014 11:30 AM

Author Icon
John77
Peon

thanks for the reply...but I have/am already using  those drivers.  It still doesn't fix the issues for me. 

Edited: 05/03/2014 at 11:39 AM by John77
 05/15/2014 11:26 AM

Author Icon
SweetTeeth
Peon

I know this probably isn't the place to bring my issues but seeing as the R9 295X2 is basically two 290x's on one board; I would like to would like to voice that I am experiencing the same audio issues that everyone else is experiencing.

This audio crakle issue seems to be due to vsync. I used Batman: Arkham City to test my theory. Audio randomly crackles whenever I have vsync on and sounds fine with vsync off. However, games that don't give the ability to readily diable vsync all sound horrible.

If someone knows where I can find a solution for this I would greatly appreciate it!!

Intel Core i7 4930k @ 4.1 Ghz

Asus Rampage IV Balck Edition

GSkill Ripjaw Z series 4 x 4GB (2133)

R9 295X2 @ stock (Catalyst 14.4)

The OCZ ZX Series OCZ-ZX1000W

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Edited: 05/15/2014 at 11:32 AM by SweetTeeth
 06/19/2014 04:11 PM

Author Icon
Pbizi
Peon

I am having the same issue with my Saphire R9 295x2.

I tried everything, formating, changing drivers, even a new card with no luck.

Vsync on or off doesn't matter, the problem still occures.

AMD please fix this soon. Thanks

06/26/2014 11:23 PM

Author Icon
outsidefactor
Peon

Hey AMD, this is still a current issue! Where's our fix?

This topic was openned in December last year, meaning that nearly 7 months have passed without a fix.

Everyone here should be logging tech support tickets with both AMD and the manufacturer of the board they own. Maybe if there is enough outrage amongst their customers they will consider fixing this. Also, write to your local PC mag: letters to the editor bringing light to this (and all the other driver and BIOS problems the R9s have been plagued with) may cause the kind of public relations issues these companies respond to. There are plenty of threads on this site that clearly indicate AMD is doing a less-than-adequate job of testing their code prior to release, and even more eveidence that they aren't doing a fast enough job of fixing the issues in the field. Is there an issue in the hardware? Are they covering up grounds for a recall?

While there are some 'fixes' out there, all of them have consequences as bad as the issue you are initially trying to fix. We need AMD to step up.

As far as I can see this effects people using RealTek and Creative. What about Xonar cards? Is it all sound cards?

06/27/2014 10:29 AM

Author Icon
backFireX64
Elite

Originally posted by: outsidefactor Hey AMD, this is still a current issue! Where's our fix?

This topic was openned in December last year, meaning that nearly 7 months have passed without a fix.

Everyone here should be logging tech support tickets with both AMD and the manufacturer of the board they own. Maybe if there is enough outrage amongst their customers they will consider fixing this. Also, write to your local PC mag: letters to the editor bringing light to this (and all the other driver and BIOS problems the R9s have been plagued with) may cause the kind of public relations issues these companies respond to. There are plenty of threads on this site that clearly indicate AMD is doing a less-than-adequate job of testing their code prior to release, and even more eveidence that they aren't doing a fast enough job of fixing the issues in the field. Is there an issue in the hardware? Are they covering up grounds for a recall?

While there are some 'fixes' out there, all of them have consequences as bad as the issue you are initially trying to fix. We need AMD to step up.

As far as I can see this effects people using RealTek and Creative. What about Xonar cards? Is it all sound cards?

They are not listening that way man ............ but i understand your frustration.

-------------------------

gigabyte X58A-UD3R rev.2, core i7 975 3.9ghz (stock voltage), windows 8.1 64-bit, corsair 12gb DDR3 1600mhz 7-7-7-20 RAM, xfx HD 5970 + gigabyte HD 5970 (stock clocks), coolermaster ultimate 900w PSU.
amd catalyst 14.7 RC3 aug12

Statistics
86389 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 5 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.