Topic Title: Issues from driver V9.4 and higher with R9 290X Crossfire
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/06/2013 07:48 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/06/2013 07:48 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Skinner
Peon

I'm pulling my last hair out because of unsolvable mysterious behavior from my two R9 290x's.

When using beta driver V9.4 or 9.5, my system perfoms badly; low performance with a lot of hitching and a crackling sound in games.
When using V9.2 this doesn't occur. I allready was affraid this issue gonna stay in V9.5 after it was introduced in 9.4

I have updated to the latest bios for my mobo, installed a fresh win 8.1, change my PCiE settings, disable X-Fi, etc. nothing seems to help..

What the ** did they change in V9.4 and 9.5 ?!! I cann't keep it this way, I don't know where to go, I cann't stay on V9.2 for ever...

Running 8.1 and system specs in cp.

I also send a ticket to AMD, but they don't seem to border.

12/06/2013 10:42 AM

Author Icon
Skinner
Peon

I got the damn source.. It's v-sync not working properly

When leaving it at driver default the crackling sound is gone and perf. is back on. (I'm not talking about double buffering effects as I have dual GPU, where triple buffer was never nessecary and my framerates didn't hang on the halve of the screenres.)

Could it be my screensignal not recognized properly?

Is there a way on earth to pass this forward to AMD? Is there anybody active here anyway?

12/06/2013 10:55 AM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Active? On every driver download page, right under the driver description, is a thing called "ISSUE REPORT FORM". Guess it's too hard to find. When you sign in to post in this forum, there is a big sticky "ISSUE REPORT FORM".  In the FAQ section is the list of telephone numbers and e-mail address to AMD Technical Support in every country around the world. On the page where you select your driver (or use the detect and install for dummies) is a link "ISSUE REPORT FORM".

Software

Step 1:   Select the type of system that you have:

Step 2:   Select the product family your product belongs to:

Step 3:   Select your product:

Step 4:   Select the supported operating system that you have:

Step 5:  

????

??????

Automatically Detect and Install
Latest AMD Catalyst™ Drivers for Radeon™ R9 200 and R7 200 Series
Report Issues With the Latest Driver Release

-------------------------

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

12/06/2013 11:15 AM

Author Icon
Skinner
Peon

Thanx for your response. I've actually filled in the issue report allready, but never heard something back.

I've also isolated the issue to v-sync. Only when setting v-sync off the GPU's perform normally with driver 9.4 and 9.5. (part of cat 13.11)

There is something wrong with V-sync, at least on my rig. Also framepacing is not funtioning properly yet. I understand it with these complex GPU's it's not an easy task to synchronise the milions of code and variables, but some answers about standing issue's should be nice.

Edited: 12/06/2013 at 11:25 AM by Skinner
 12/06/2013 11:36 AM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Submitting a report does not open a two way conversation with Tech Support. The way it works is, if there are only 2-3 reports from around the world then other issues are looked at first. If there are numerous reports from around the world, then the issue is looked at and if it is reproducable, it is worked on and results are included in the next Beta. From my experience, and the popular issues being posted now, the common denominator is Windows 8.1. That does not mean that AMD is not responsible for its drivers, but it does mean that somewhere along the line communication between Micro$oft and the graphics companies (yes Nvidia has issues too) have been degraded. You can't put all the blame/responsibility on one player...game developers, graphics card developers, and OS developers share equally. Add to that mix the "computer genius's" sitting in front of their computer 'tweaking' it.

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

12/06/2013 01:37 PM

Author Icon
Skinner
Peon

Originally posted by: stumped Submitting a report does not open a two way conversation with Tech Support. The way it works is, if there are only 2-3 reports from around the world then other issues are looked at first. If there are numerous reports from around the world, then the issue is looked at and if it is reproducable, it is worked on and results are included in the next Beta. From my experience, and the popular issues being posted now, the common denominator is Windows 8.1. That does not mean that AMD is not responsible for its drivers, but it does mean that somewhere along the line communication between Micro$oft and the graphics companies (yes Nvidia has issues too) have been degraded. You can't put all the blame/responsibility on one player...game developers, graphics card developers, and OS developers share equally. Add to that mix the "computer genius's" sitting in front of their computer 'tweaking' it.

Well that sounds logic and fair, but that shouldn't be the only quality control, but offcourse it won't. I will check Win7 with these drivers, to iron out W8.1.

Your're right about genius and tweaking, every game here is tweaked to the max with custom (shader)injection's, mods, textures etc.  But when it fails, I allway's check its default performance first, before complaining about bugs.

12/06/2013 01:56 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Here is a good article explaining the current state of Win 8.1 drivers...also, BF4 just had a big update. Keep in mind that crossfire has been problematic from the start. Most people have no need of it unless they are running a wall of huge display monitors... I play the game at a constant 60fps, using vert sync, and enjoying every minute of it, and I have a lowly 6970 card.

edit: I also am running the v2 beta...version 4&5 didn't play nice with my card..or the games.

Edited: 12/06/2013 at 02:17 PM by stumped
 02/13/2014 03:29 PM

Author Icon
Skinner
Peon

Originally posted by: stumped Here is a good article explaining the current state of Win 8.1

Btw, Windows 7 shows the same behavior. It seems like this is a stayer and doesn't get any, visible, attention. I'm both dissapointed and angry the way they handle this issue.

02/19/2014 03:44 PM

Author Icon
TurkzUowT
Peon

Originally posted by: stumped Here is a good article explaining the current state of Win 8.1 drivers...also, BF4 just had a big update. Keep in mind that crossfire has been problematic from the start. Most people have no need of it unless they are running a wall of huge display monitors... I play the game at a constant 60fps, using vert sync, and enjoying every minute of it, and I have a lowly 6970 card.

edit: I also am running the v2 beta...version 4&5 didn't play nice with my card..or the games.

What are you even in this forum if you don't have 290's in crossfire!?!? Or at least why do you even talk as though you are aware of the issue skinner, myself and thousands of others with crossfire enabled are having!?  As Skinner mentioned,  choppy frame rates, annoying as crackling sound ON EVERY SINGLE GAME i have tested crossfire on.. Even games that specifically mentions enhanced for AMD cards!! NVidia dont have these issues in SLI mode!! And AMD haven't had THESE types of issues since the beginning!!

So gets your facts right!!

Statistics
84090 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.