Topic Title: Sound stutters with Crossfire enabled
Topic Summary: High DPC latency
Created On: 12/30/2013 08:01 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 4 Previous Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/27/2014 10:52 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Migman
Peon

Originally posted by: Endemo I read it before it was gone. It said they are aware of the proble, that they have identified the cause and that it will be fixed in an upcoming driver release. And that this release is to be expected in april.

April!, well it would seem that the problem is even worse than i could possibly imagine, i'm really sorry to say that this has been an issue, that although it's not "the end of the world" as it were, HAS made me think very hard about my next purchases, i've been using ATI/AMD almost exclusively for quite a few years now from 9800pro>xt800>hd5970 2 in xfire>hd6970/hd6990 in x fire and now 2x R9 290X's in xfire, a large amount of business, and i suspect other people will be thinking the same as myself, next purchase(s) from a reliable source, fortunately second hand market is bouyant due to the mining frenzy, which is not affected by this particular debacle, Ebay is beckoning, bye.

02/27/2014 11:39 AM

Author Icon
Endemo
Peon

Just like me. I am usually Nvidia user. Gave AMD a shot this time. But as things are currently i wont in future. This is a severe issue that practically prevents me from using my second card.

02/27/2014 11:55 AM

Author Icon
Divvy
Peon

I feel really sorry for people who have been crippled with Crossfire since November or so. I just bought my cards a couple weeks ago and I'm pissed enough to have to wait until april to get my other half of performance. I had so few problems with SLI and NVidia as a whole. These 290's have been a pain in the bum with not only this, but other issues as well. If Maxwell turns out equal or better for mining, I'm moving over as soon as possible.

02/27/2014 12:23 PM

Author Icon
Ray@AMD
Forum Moderator

Please refer to this post. Thanks !

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=475&threadid=172035&r=9356473 

-------------------------

AMD Customer Care

The information presented here is for informational purposes only and may contain technical inaccuracies, omissions and typographical errors. Links to third party sites are for convenience only, and no endorsement is implied.

02/28/2014 03:20 AM

Author Icon
Endemo
Peon

Originally posted by: Ray@AMD Please refer to this post. Thanks ! http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=475&threadid=172035&r=9356473 

Thanks for the feedback. Communication is very much aprechiated.

However for cases like that in wich customers effectively arent able to properly use their hardware for months, some sort of compensation would be a nice idea. Maybe a suggestion to your superiors?

02/28/2014 04:56 PM

Author Icon
serys
Peon

A pack of free games could be nice for the frustration time we had

03/06/2014 07:29 AM

Author Icon
Endemo
Peon

Not gonna happen i believe.
Some kind of rabatt on the nex purchase would be something workable.

03/18/2014 04:50 AM

Author Icon
Endemo
Peon

A new Driver has been released. Woudl be nice if anyone could check if the stuttering is fixed. Am at work and will take quite som hrs to get home.

Its mirrored here: http://www.guru3d.com/

03/18/2014 10:40 AM

Author Icon
Divvy
Peon

The sound stuttering and high DPC latency are gone, but now all my games look like they're running at exactly 30fps. FPS counter says 60, but it's clearly 30 by looking at it. Crossfire disabled 60fps looks like proper 60fps again.

Edited: 03/18/2014 at 11:00 AM by Divvy
 03/18/2014 11:44 AM

Author Icon
Elusiveparticle
Peon

Originally posted by: Divvy The sound stuttering and high DPC latency are gone, but now all my games look like they're running at exactly 30fps. FPS counter says 60, but it's clearly 30 by looking at it. Crossfire disabled 60fps looks like proper 60fps again.

I'm at work and won't be able to try until later tonight too. This sounds depressing. Are you sure about this? Can anyone else confirm 30 fps?

03/18/2014 03:29 PM

Author Icon
JR1911
Peon

I tested the new drivers with Civilization V and it really looks like it only runs at 30fps with Crossfire enabled. With Crossfire disabled the scrolling ingame was much smoother.

03/18/2014 07:59 PM

Author Icon
dmartin925
Peon

Hello,

I'm new to the forum. I too have a pair of r9 290's (XFX DD editions) and was experiencing this sound stuttering issue also. It was in fact the "catalyst" <-- Forgive the pun, that lead me to this forum. 

Last night I reinstalled windows (unrelated issue) and I'm in the process of installing my games. I will post my results in this thread to keep in the loop with everone else.

Edited: 03/18/2014 at 09:00 PM by dmartin925
 03/19/2014 10:13 PM

Author Icon
dmartin925
Peon

After testing a variety of games, I can confirm that at least for my particular build, the problem is fixed.

I am not getting any mouse lag and nothing is playing at 30 FPS.

I ran Portal 2 at 1920x1080 with double buffer and triple buffer vsync enabled and and it played smooth as butter.

Mass effect 1 is a game that you can not disable vsync and is one of my fav games, I'm pleased to announce that one also plays fine

Anyways, those were the ones that were most important to me as they werre some of my favs... Deadp Space 3, Crysis2, Half Life 2, BF3 all tested AOK as well.

I have over 75 games and if anyone has a particular test you want me to run, just lemme know.

03/20/2014 05:14 AM

Author Icon
Divvy
Peon

Do you have Windows 7 or Windows 8? Do you have High Precision Event Timer enabled or disabled from BIOS?

03/20/2014 07:25 AM

Author Icon
Divvy
Peon

Never mind. I installed Windows 8.1 and disable HPET but I still get the fps halving. If I disable vsync it looks like it should. If I enable vsync I only get half of my fps actually displayed on the screen. For example, if I run at 60hz and fps counters claim 60fps, I only see 30fps. If I set my display to 24hz, the FPS counters will claim 24fps but I only actually see 12fps on-screen. If I disable Crossfire, everything is OK again.

03/22/2014 10:29 PM

Author Icon
dmartin925
Peon

I have windows 8.1 Enterprise installed. I don't know if HPET is enabled or not.

Also, you have me curious, if your frame counter is displaying X amount of  frames, what exactlly makes you think it's actually half the value being displayed?

I installed 14.3 and the sound stuttering is gone. 

My setup is a Gigabyte UP4-X79, Intel core i7-4930k, 64GB DDR3 1600Mhz, x2 XFX DD r9 290's.....

03/23/2014 07:44 AM

Author Icon
LuckyB
Peon

Originally posted by: dmartin925 I have windows 8.1 Enterprise installed. I don't know if HPET is enabled or not.

Also, you have me curious, if your frame counter is displaying X amount of  frames, what exactlly makes you think it's actually half the value being displayed?

I installed 14.3 and the sound stuttering is gone. 

My setup is a Gigabyte UP4-X79, Intel core i7-4930k, 64GB DDR3 1600Mhz, x2 XFX DD r9 290's.....

Weird, I have the same motherboard but I don't have the same experience.

Are using native windows 8 mode or using CSM ?

Intel Core i7-4930k
Asus X79-Deluxe
32GB Ballistix Tactical LP 1600MHZ
MSI Gaming R9 290 CrossFireX
Soundblaster ZX
Corsair AX850
Dell UP2414Q
Silverstone FT02

03/23/2014 02:17 PM

Author Icon
eldarko
Peon

OK, I just clean-reinstalled the system since the AMD driver remove tool not only wiped the AMD drivers clean, but it actually wiped USB drivers too (so I was unable to use keyboard/mouse in windows) and actually UNactivated my windows so I figured I may as well reinstall the whole thing as it's already messed up...

So I tried the new driver. Good news - no sound stutters anymore (yay!). Bad news - worse performance with both cards enabled then with a single card! In eyefinity 3x1 setup I get about 30 fps in Unigine Valley with ultra HD settings with single card. With both cards I get 22 fps! Rivatuner actually confirms that both cards are running (85-100% GPU usage).

I will wait for the official driver release and if its not working by then - good riddance. Getting GTX 780 SLI instead. I was waiting long enough (5 months!).

03/23/2014 02:23 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Originally posted by: eldarko OK, I just clean-reinstalled the system since the AMD driver remove tool not only wiped the AMD drivers clean, but it actually wiped USB drivers too (so I was unable to use keyboard/mouse in windows) and actually UNactivated my windows so I figured I may as well reinstall the whole thing as it's already messed up...

So I tried the new driver. Good news - no sound stutters anymore (yay!). Bad news - worse performance with both cards enabled then with a single card! In eyefinity 3x1 setup I get about 30 fps in Unigine Valley with ultra HD settings with single card. With both cards I get 22 fps! Rivatuner actually confirms that both cards are running (85-100% GPU usage).

I will wait for the official driver release and if its not working by then - good riddance. Getting GTX 780 SLI instead. I was waiting long enough (5 months!).

You are not the only one to report this. It seems it can't be used with computers using AMD processors. Works great for Intel processors. Makes no sense.

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=454&threadid=172547&enterthread=y

Some people report that re-installing the chipset driver suite replaces the missing drivers.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/chipset?os=Windows 8 - 32

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *AMD R9 290 4gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit 

***** cetera fallunt, ludere mortuus ******

03/24/2014 12:23 AM

Author Icon
dmartin925
Peon

Originally posted by: LuckyB 

Weird, I have the same motherboard but I don't have the same experience.

Are using native windows 8 mode or using CSM ?

Are you talking about in the BIOS? There is a setting in the BIOS that ask if you are using windows 8 and I selected it, I didn't change any fo the default values because I was undure what all they did and I figured  the default would just work....

The operating system is Windows 8.1 Enterprise (n edition).

How is your experience differing from mine? Are you still experiencing the sound stutters? Are you experiencing the wierd frame rates that others are talking about?

I purchased my cards March 8th from NewEgg and I'm still in my 30 day window. If these cards wind up being buggy they're going back... I still have to test my games in eyefinity and I have a bunch of games to test...

One thing I did notice though, when watching a DVD or BluRay, the sound is a little off. Not the stuttering, but it sound like I turned "reverberation" up just a tad...... 

Also,  one more thing to mention seeing as how you have the same setup, when I did my install, at first the sound wasn't working... Everything looked like it was installed, all the volume indicators appeared as if they were playing sound, but I wasn't hearing anything.... So, I figured I'd try reinstalling the drivers, well, when I uninstalled the drivers and rebooted, my PC installed Microsoft HD audio drivers on it's own and they appear to work just fine. 

BTW, I am getting true stutter free HD 7.1 audio with this MS driver.

Statistics
88953 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.