Topic Title: Sound stutters with Crossfire enabled
Topic Summary: High DPC latency
Created On: 12/30/2013 08:01 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 4 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/24/2014 05:47 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
LuckyB
Peon

Originally posted by: dmartin925
Originally posted by: LuckyB 

Weird, I have the same motherboard but I don't have the same experience.

Are using native windows 8 mode or using CSM ?

Are you talking about in the BIOS? There is a setting in the BIOS that ask if you are using windows 8 and I selected it, I didn't change any fo the default values because I was undure what all they did and I figured  the default would just work....

The operating system is Windows 8.1 Enterprise (n edition).

How is your experience differing from mine? Are you still experiencing the sound stutters? Are you experiencing the wierd frame rates that others are talking about?

I purchased my cards March 8th from NewEgg and I'm still in my 30 day window. If these cards wind up being buggy they're going back... I still have to test my games in eyefinity and I have a bunch of games to test...

One thing I did notice though, when watching a DVD or BluRay, the sound is a little off. Not the stuttering, but it sound like I turned "reverberation" up just a tad...... 

Also,  one more thing to mention seeing as how you have the same setup, when I did my install, at first the sound wasn't working... Everything looked like it was installed, all the volume indicators appeared as if they were playing sound, but I wasn't hearing anything.... So, I figured I'd try reinstalling the drivers, well, when I uninstalled the drivers and rebooted, my PC installed Microsoft HD audio drivers on it's own and they appear to work just fine. 

BTW, I am getting true stutter free HD 7.1 audio with this MS driver.

Yes, I am getting this weird frame rate that others are talking about...I might reinstall windows to see if that fixes this problem.

-------------------------

Intel Core i7-4930k
Asus X79-Deluxe
32GB Ballistix Tactical LP 1600MHZ
MSI Gaming R9 290 CrossFireX
Soundblaster ZX
Corsair AX850
Dell UP2414Q
Silverstone FT02

03/24/2014 07:03 AM

Author Icon
Divvy
Peon

Reinstalling didn't fix it for me, nor did switching to Windows 8.1. I'm back to 7 now and after two reinstalls the problem remains. I did note that it didn't affect Thief when Mantle was enabled. It only seems to affect DX games.

EDIT: Talking about the FPS issue. Audio works fine.

Edited: 03/24/2014 at 08:01 AM by Divvy
 03/24/2014 07:11 AM

Author Icon
Endemo
Peon

For me the problem persists ins certain games. Some it became somewhat better (but not completely dissappeared) others like IL2 Battle of Stalingrad the problem persists. Its a Direct X 9 title and activating crossfire with enabled VSync makes the sound stutter every few seconds. This really needs adressing. I bought graphiccards for more than 1000 euros just to NOT being able to use them properly. One thing is a fact now (at least for me) NEVER again AMD when it comes to graphicscards. I didnt ever experience such gamebreakers during my time with NVIDIA graphicscards.

03/24/2014 01:02 PM

Author Icon
eldarko
Peon

Originally posted by: stumped

You are not the only one to report this. It seems it can't be used with computers using AMD processors. Works great for Intel processors. Makes no sense.

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=454&threadid=172547&enterthread=y

Some people report that re-installing the chipset driver suite replaces the missing drivers.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/chipset?os=Windows 8 - 32

I am using an Intel platform. Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 (Intel Z87) with i7 3770k. And yes, I do believe that reinstalling chipset drivers would indeed fix the issue, but as I was unable to use *any* input device (no mouse, no keyboard)  I obviously could not do it the easy way. Of course it is possible to do it the hard way - by running a system repair or manually injecting the usb drivers after booting from a different system; but knowing AMD drivers and their undying residue, its a safer bet to just reinstall the whole system

Be as it may, this is not the topic; however nasty the tool is, the fuss it makes it pales in comparison with the issues that R290 crossfire makes. Mostly because it is fixable - which cannot be said for 290 CF yet

07/28/2014 10:05 AM

Author Icon
nalilord
Peon

Hey,

i need to dig up this thread. 

Recently i upgraded to two XFX R9 290X and now i have the mentioned sound problems, strangely not in all games.

When i disable crossfire everything is ok in all games, no sound problems! I noticed it in Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare, it is there only when crossfire is enabled, while Payday 2 is running fine, with and without crossfire.

Do you guys have any advice i could try?

My system config is:

Driver: 14.200.1004.0 (Catalyst 14.7 RC1) / Win8.1 64
Processor: Intel Core i7 4770K
Mainboard: Intel DZ87KLT-75K
Video: 2x XFX R9 290X Black OC Edition
Sound: Sound Blaster Zx

07/28/2014 02:36 PM

Author Icon
nalilord
Peon

Update:

I tested a bit more and a few more games, i also was wrong about Payday 2, it was fine because V-Sync was off but i never noticed it...

The problem persists in every 3D full screen application that has V-Sync active and puts more than 1 or 2 percent load onto the second card.

This stinks, i had ATI (or now AMD) all my life (and i'm 31 now) never had such a damn problem with their hardware or drivers, i'm truly disappointed

Edited: 07/28/2014 at 02:51 PM by nalilord
 07/28/2014 02:44 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Originally posted by: nalilord Update:

I tested a bit more and a few more games, i also was wrong about Payday 2, it was fine because V-Sync was off but i never noticed it...

The problem persists in every 3D full screen application that has V-Sync active and puts more that 1 or 2 percent load onto the second card.

This stinks, i had ATI (or now AMD) all my life (and i'm 31 now) never hat such a damn problem with their hardware or drivers, i'm truly disappointed

Have you tried disabling ULPS? To be fair, Nvidia has the same amount of issues with a SLI set-up.

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

07/28/2014 02:57 PM

Author Icon
nalilord
Peon

Yes, I tried everything mentioned in this post and I disabled ULPS right after I noticed that the card will be hard turned off after playing, I thought that can't be good regarding a heat accumulation.

07/28/2014 03:09 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Originally posted by: nalilord Yes, I tried everything mentioned in this post and I disabled ULPS right after I noticed that the card will be hard turned off after playing, I thought that can't be good regarding a heat accumulation.

It looks like this issue has been around for a while....here is a article from Tom's which might help.

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

07/28/2014 05:34 PM

Author Icon
nalilord
Peon

Hey,

thanks! But their solution is to install an almost antique graphics driver, that's not an option for me, I would rather deactivate V-Sync in all games than that.

Hope there is another solution or better one of the AMD tech guys can tell us their plans about this issue...

I also tested battlefield 4 with mantle and V-Sync, the same problem. 

09/03/2014 02:11 PM

Author Icon
dcsastry
Peon

I have 4 R290 cards in my system, setup in PCIe crossfire mode.

I was having serious problems with audio stuttering, even when not using games, just streaming HD video into WMC from a Silicondust tuner I was getting audio breaks.

Once I disabled ULPS, all those problems went away, including audio stutter in games.

I used a utility to edit the registry from here:

http://www.ulpsconfigurationutility.com/

- Dave

Statistics
86515 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.