Topic Title: R9 290 with spiky gpu usage in crossfire
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/01/2014 06:49 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/01/2014 06:49 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
bjozac
Peon

This thread pretty much summons it up;

http://www.overclock.net/t/1440600/r9-290-having-problem-with-crossfire/280#post_21497518

The rig i'm using is 

4770k @ 4.6gHz ( tried stock voltage to)

1050 Seasonic PSU

GA-Z87X-UD3H mb @ latest bios 

2 * Sapphire R9 290 @ stock volts

Benq 24" 1920*1080@120Hz

16gb Corsair dominator 8*2gb

On Win 7 intel 540 SSD

on Win 8.1 Corsair something 120gb

All components watercooled using custom waterloop and temperature not reaching 50 C

Drivers I've used, previous, current and beta

Disabled pagefile

The rig runs perfectly in Haven benchmark and 3dmark(http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/7618817) and give me amazing score. But as soon as i start  playing BF4@64bit the joy stops. Image at the bottom

When i play, any mode of this game, i get fps ranging from 40-200, normal is around 80-100 but some times i go down to 40-50 fps playing just normal. When i use one card i get a smoother gameplay but not near my target at 120fps. 

The gpu usage graph in msi goes up and down, from 0-100% constantly while playing BF4, when haven benchmark it is close to constant 95-100%. 

I've debugged this as good as I can,

* Added power and voltage to the cards - also 100% standard

* Disabled ULPS 

* Disabled V-sync, ingame & cataclysm & radeon pro

* Installed a fresh new Win 8.1 with latest full release drivers from amd

* Tested each card individually with succes 

And no mather what i do i get the same results, the game is really really not smooth. I've been reading alot on this subject and some people have solved it with clean driver installs or changes to win 8.1.

I've done everything and more, there is no problem with powersupply i can pull 900 watts from the wall using stress tests on gpu+cpu.

I'm really out of ideas and others seem to be that to.

One thing that affect me but i don't know anyone else is that i have one card with elpidia memory and the other with hynix. 

GPU usage when running haven benchmark

running haven benchmark

Some different clock settings cpu+gpu and playing BF4

view of disk operation and gpu spikes

Stock gpu clock oc cpu

Edited: 01/01/2014 at 07:01 PM by bjozac
 01/01/2014 08:56 PM

Author Icon
deathcrush87
Grinding Levels

try another game..

-------------------------

AMD FX8350//Corsair vengeance DDR3 CL9 8GB@1600//Asus ROG Crosshair V Formula z//Asus R9 290X oc DCII//Corsair CX750//Razer Lycosa//Corsair M30//Zalman Z11 plus case//Kingston 120gb SSD//Yamaha Audiogram6//Windows 8.1 64bit//

01/02/2014 01:02 AM

Author Icon
UcouldBrong
Case Modder

BF4 is a real world stress test...benchmarks are just...benchmarks.  YOU are getting better framerates than most players.  W8 may be part of the problem.

Had some real CFX problems with COD: Ghosts...but they are slowly being worked out.  Am anxious for the next drivers as Crossfire needs lots of attention.

What kind of results are you getting when running the game on your Windows 7 SSD?  BTW see:  SSD Optimization Guide on SSDreview.

Non-noob components.

01/02/2014 04:04 AM

Author Icon
bjozac
Peon

Originally posted by: deathcrush87 try another game..

I only have Battlefield 3 as another game, would that work out you think? EA is not known for having bugfree games.

01/02/2014 04:10 AM

Author Icon
bjozac
Peon

Originally posted by: UcouldBrong BF4 is a real world stress test...benchmarks are just...benchmarks.  YOU are getting better framerates than most players.  W8 may be part of the problem.

Had some real CFX problems with COD: Ghosts...but they are slowly being worked out.  Am anxious for the next drivers as Crossfire needs lots of attention.

What kind of results are you getting when running the game on your Windows 7 SSD?  BTW see:  SSD Optimization Guide on SSDreview.

I'm getting more or less identical results on windows 7, hence I do not belive i need to optimize the SSD. The picture with windows performance windows is actually from windows 7.

I've been running this topic for quite some while and other people with more or less identical setup get lots more solid fps. Getting as low as 40-45, which is quite common (seems to be somewhat of map dependant) is not okay when u spend 2k $ on GPU's and water cooling.

The map dependant performance works out in that way that siege of shanghai is the worst, the 311 map is quite bad. But still no mather what excuse for heavy map people with same gpus and cpus get solid 100 fps. Check this post out and his GPU usage graphs; http://www.overclock.net/t/1440600/r9-290-having-problem-with-crossfire/270#post_21494862

I forgot to mention i have a second monitor which is just a desktop extender, but that monitor is disconnected now while searching for reson of it beeing slow.

01/02/2014 11:45 AM

Author Icon
deathcrush87
Grinding Levels

yes bf3 will defo work out.

if you had the spike thingy going on when playing bf3, simply RMA those cards.

AMD FX8350//Corsair vengeance DDR3 CL9 8GB@1600//Asus ROG Crosshair V Formula z//Asus R9 290X oc DCII//Corsair CX750//Razer Lycosa//Corsair M30//Zalman Z11 plus case//Kingston 120gb SSD//Yamaha Audiogram6//Windows 8.1 64bit//

01/02/2014 01:44 PM

Author Icon
bjozac
Peon

Originally posted by: deathcrush87 yes bf3 will defo work out.

if you had the spike thingy going on when playing bf3, simply RMA those cards.

Feels like giving up, and maybe same effect again. The suggestions i have left is to buy a third card and pair it up with them individually, but who knows if anything will happen.

Both the cards work fine standalone and the CF works in benchmarking and people with same setup have gotten it to work.

* Does not feel like a mb thing

* Does not feel like power supply (scrypth-mining + prime95 works just fine)

So I'm pretty stranded here, was hopping to get some support from AMD tech people... But they have not responded yet, these forums are nice except when you have already done the forum dance for 2months and not found an anser.

01/02/2014 02:23 PM

Author Icon
deathcrush87
Grinding Levels

i had problems with my 2 gigabyte hd7870s, i looked for 5 months for a fix anf could not find any solutions.

no one could help me here.

when i requested for RMA, it was too late and my cards work just fine in standalone mode.

but when crossfired, crashes and freezes were all over the place and nothing helped.

the retailers (bought my cards from 2 different ones) tested both cards in standalone mode with benchmarking tools and declared them NOT-FAULTY.

i objected that and am still waiting for their response.

my arguement is, although the cards work fine in single setup, something does not work right when crossfired, it can be hardware issues on the cards themselves or the driver.

in both cases, as a simple consumer, i should get a refund, as those cards are not working properly together, and the driver or compatiblity issues are not my business.

i paid for performance, and i can not have that and the problem is not at my end.

you should do the same.

you have to ask for a refund or replacement as those cards can not work together.

hope it helps.

01/02/2014 03:52 PM

Author Icon
bjozac
Peon

Just tested BF3, same results, the gpu usage is everywhere and the performance is far below what it should be.

01/03/2014 10:38 AM

Author Icon
bjozac
Peon

For beeing the only support that Sapphire/AMD gives I'm just about ready to join the Nvidia Fan boys.

I've had this problem for two months and so seems to be the story for others. If this is how AMD treats loyal customers I understand why their marketshare is shrinking in gaming(not mining tough).

I've done all possible things and suggestions I've gotten and given up on them and turn here to get some AMD support to actually look in to this problem they know their product and can probably figure out what is wrong and why. Or maybe they already know and it is some bug that can not be solved.

01/03/2014 12:04 PM

Author Icon
UcouldBrong
Case Modder

1st card is running at 16x, second at 8x.  Did you turn off the integrated gpu?

Only cards that have ever bricked for me were Nvidia and YOU had to go and throw out the N-word card!

Non-noob components.

01/03/2014 12:24 PM

Author Icon
deathcrush87
Grinding Levels

mate there is nothing wrong with AMD products.

crossfire is not a very brilliant thing, and im sure nvidia sli has the very same problems.

tbh, i recommend AMD gpus over Nvidia, but take it from me, that single gpu solution is always the best, go for a single AMD card like R9 290x.

reading Nvidia forums, people have lots of problems with SLI as well.

its not AMD's fault that your cards do not work together, AMD only supplies gpus to manufacturers like sapphire.

the whole other stuff such as board, vrams, vbios and all those resistors and capacitors etc etc. are put in your cards by sapphire, and those are the components that probably cause problems for you and me.

drivers... think about AMD that has to provide drivers for every new game that comes to the market, and for every brand of gpus that use AMD technology, wether they are overclocked or tweaked.. its not an easy job.

my own experience?

avoid sapphire, gigabyte and xfx, go for Asus ROG or the reference AMD cards.

why do you think asus ROG is usually more expensive than normal cards?

its because they use the highest quality and top notch components to make their products whereas some companies use cheaper solutions on their boards to reduce costs.

thats what causing all these problems IMO.

01/03/2014 12:30 PM

Author Icon
deathcrush87
Grinding Levels

btw, the last shot at solving your problem, how did you disable the ULPS?

tell me exactly how plz.

01/03/2014 12:35 PM

Author Icon
bjozac
Peon

Originally posted by: UcouldBrong 1st card is running at 16x, second at 8x.  Did you turn off the integrated gpu?

Only cards that have ever bricked for me were Nvidia and YOU had to go and throw out the N-word card!

Only when displayin like that in GPU-z, when testing (the icon left to pci-e speed button) they both run at x8.

And yes, I've disabled the integrated card.

Sorry for doing the N word, I really want to support AMD by buying their products to maintain some competition between manufactures. 

deathcrush87> Dude, all reference card have the same board provided by amd, there is no difference except boxing and bios.

And there are people who get them to run smooth with gpu usage on both cards, most people do by doing any of those tricks i followed.

The way they are working now while playing is a joke did u check out the gpu usage graphs? 

And as I previously mentioned, the cpu is utilized at top 70-75% normally, and compare that to gpu usage and the varying fps.

I do not mean to be rude or insulting, but I've done all things i and overclock.net can think of and i was hoping to get some amd-tech to atleast acknowledge a glitch no mather the cause of it.

01/03/2014 02:23 PM

Author Icon
deathcrush87
Grinding Levels

you are not rude man.

i hope you find a solution soon.

01/03/2014 06:50 PM

Author Icon
bjozac
Peon

Originally posted by: deathcrush87 btw, the last shot at solving your problem, how did you disable the ULPS?

tell me exactly how plz.

Windows 7> I used regedit method first time, then when reinstalling drivers i used MSI afterburner version.

Windows 8.1> I used MSI afterburner option

01/03/2014 11:30 PM

Author Icon
UcouldBrong
Case Modder

Try Sapphire TRIXX after uninstalling...cleaning...reinstalling.

Non-noob components.

01/04/2014 03:42 AM

Author Icon
deathcrush87
Grinding Levels

well.. 

heres the last shot:

go to regedit, ctrl+F and search for enableULPS.

when you found 'the first one' change the decimal value to 0.

press F3, and do the same thing with the next one.

be ware that there are lots of enableULPS values in regedit, so do not give up after disabling 1 or 2,

press F3 and disable them again and again untill regedit tells you there is not a single one left.

restart and see what happens.

do it manually, forget about apps.

01/04/2014 03:51 AM

Author Icon
deathcrush87
Grinding Levels

btw, have you turned off the "link state power something something" under the pci section in the advanced power manager thingy in control panel?

01/04/2014 01:10 PM

Author Icon
bjozac
Peon

Originally posted by: deathcrush87 btw, have you turned off the "link state power something something" under the pci section in the advanced power manager thingy in control panel?

Yes  

Statistics
85430 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 5 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.