Topic Title: Crossfire 7850 with 7870 problems...
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/10/2014 05:44 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/10/2014 05:44 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Qdrophenia
Peon

Hi, I'd really appreciate it if someone could help me out with this.

I've just bought a HD 7870 with the intention of crossfiring with my 7850. I'm not 100% sure, but it doesn't seem to be working. There's certainly nocrossfire option available in CCC anyway... I know my motherboard is compatible as I checked AMD's chart and found that P67 chipset motherboards are compatible (my mobo is an Asus P8P67-M).

I've tried downloading the new beta drivers but to no avail. The only thing I can think of is that I use a dual screen display. Is it a problem to have screens plugged into both GPU's when crossfiring?

Thanks in advance!

01/10/2014 10:17 PM

Author Icon
Thanny
Alpha Geek

Only the primary card in a CF setup can have monitors attached.

01/11/2014 04:56 AM

Author Icon
Qdrophenia
Peon

Okay, I've disconnected the adapter from the 7850, still no crossfire option=[ Thanks for the suggestion though, any other ideas anyone?

01/11/2014 10:45 AM

Author Icon
Qdrophenia
Peon

Just to supply a little more info, I'm trying to crossfire a Sapphire HD7850 1gb DDRM5 with a Gigabyte HD7870 2gb DDRM5.

Just a thought, I'm using the DVI port with an adapter to a VGA moniter (I know, I need to get a HDMI moniter, that's my next purchase =P). Does crossfire only work if you go through HDMI or something like that?

Also, I know my mobo is crossfire compatible, having checked the AMD compatibility charts and found the words 'CrossfireX ready' printed on the motherboard itself, but would I need to activate or enable it in the motherboards bios or something? I'll give this a try later on.

Again, any help on this matter would be hugely appreciated. If no one has any ideas, would anyone be able to give me a way to get in touch with AMD directly? If I don't sort this soon, I think I'll sell my 7850. I really don't want to as logic dictates it SHOULD be working and this setup would make my PC kick-ass, but having these two GPU's non-crossfired is a waste of money and space in my PC

Thanks again everyone 

01/11/2014 07:39 PM

Author Icon
Thanny
Alpha Geek

Is it safe to assume that you've connected the Crossfire bridge between the cards?

01/11/2014 09:03 PM

Author Icon
Qdrophenia
Peon

Haha yes of course =P I'm a bit of a beginner at this kind of thing but not that much! Anyway, problem solved somehow.... After trying loads of different driver versions, I still don't know what wasn't working properly. I took everything out of my PC case and put it all back in just because the cable management was getting on my nerves. When it booted up again the crossfire option came up straight away =]

I did change one option in the BIOS which was changing the second PCIEx to 8x or something along those lines, so perhaps that was it.

Thanks for your suggestions anyway!

Statistics
88796 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.