Topic Title: Recommend liquid cooling setup for 2 x R9 290s
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/13/2014 07:21 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/13/2014 07:21 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
flash67
Peon

Hi guys, new to the forum and it seems like there's a lot of friendly help on here and I thought I would give it a try. I'm building a new rig and want to water cool just my 2 x R9 290s.. I'm new to water cooling and I was hoping someone could help recommend what exactly I need...

I understand I need waterblocks (2), pump, tubing, resevoir, fittings and rads.. I'm not quite sure which size rads I need and how the fittings work as well.

I was hoping someone with experience can basically layout exactly what I need in a full custom loop setup all the way to what type of case I should use as well..

Specs will be

AMD FX8350 x8 4.0ghz
16GB Gskill ddr3-2400
2 x ASUS R9290-4GD5
ASUS CrossHair V  Forumula-Z MOBO
1200 watt cooler master silent pro 80 gold
Samsung PRO 128GB SSD

I dont need to cool the CPU (air is fine)... just the GPUs...

Any help is appreciated and I look forward to seeing what ideas everyone has... THank you!

01/14/2014 02:38 AM

Author Icon
UcouldBrong
Case Modder

Swiftech H220 would be my first choice. One or two 240mm rads or a 240 and a 120 would work, too.  You can use the stock fans or switch to the Cougar PWMs for less noise and more airflow.  Push/pull will give you more capability.  You can get a dual cooling bridge or attach the hoses to each card.  Be absolutely sure your cards are reference versions compatible with the waterblocks purchased!

Look at the Corsair 800 or 900 for really roomy cases that will accomodate everything and for great airflow design.  600 will work but will require more thoughtful layout...videos on alternative rad mounting may be helpful.

Get a MNPCtech acrylic door for the 600 so that you can see everything.

If you have not purchased the SSD, get the 256 840 PRO or a 512.  Use the SSD Optimization Guide available at SSD Review.  Enable RAPID feature.

-------------------------

Non-noob components.

Edited: 01/14/2014 at 02:51 AM by UcouldBrong
 01/14/2014 08:20 PM

Author Icon
flash67
Peon

Thank you for the reply and those are great recommendations..

Do you have any suggestions for fittings and how that works?

Is there a standard size?  Universal fittings?

What type of resevoir should I use?  Do they all basically do the same thing? 

01/15/2014 12:43 AM

Author Icon
UcouldBrong
Case Modder

Research the different kits available...many will have 3/8" fittings that are easily fitted to 5/8" inch tubing...red, clear (green coolant) or black, etc.  Investigate Lok-Seal fittings.  Avoid 90 degree bends in your design.  Swiftech (and others) will personally tell you the exact components you'll need...even the amount of coolant required.

Whatever system you decide on, make sure you can expand it if necessary. Recommend radiators that have reservoirs  built-in for simplicity or you can have independent reservoirs or even add an additional rad without a reservoir.  Since you don't intend to cool the cpu, take a look at the non-cpu pumps, radiators, kits.  The pumps that are current are very powerful and quiet and can cool the cpu and a couple of gpus if you wish as long as you have enough radiator/fans capacity.

Non-noob components.

Edited: 01/15/2014 at 12:52 AM by UcouldBrong
 01/16/2014 08:39 PM

Author Icon
Thanny
Alpha Geek

See this thread for some general recommendations I made for someone else.

I have to say, if you're going to create a custom cooling loop, not putting the CPU on it strikes me as rather silly.

01/17/2014 12:20 AM

Author Icon
UcouldBrong
Case Modder

Some good points in your dissertation, Thanny.  One thing to keep in mind is that it is NOT necessarily the tubing size or AMOUNT of coolant...it is coolant flow.  A slow moving coolant through a large tubing diameter will not be as efficient as a smaller diameter with a more powerful pump.  As you noted, correct radiator and fan selection would be paramount in a well designed system. 

flash67, There are many components and explanations of their virtues found on Frozen CPU's site as ONE example.  One can determine the pluses of different radiators, but integral reservoirs will make the build simpler and less cluttered.

Overclock3D, Swiftech, EK and many other sites have contributed to advances in computer component cooling.  Pays to educate yourself from many sources before making substantial purchases.  One often overlooked consideration will be future maintenance of your system and the correct procedures in filling, refilling, draining and flushing of the coolant and keeping the loop free of mundane things like algae. Think twice before using coolant dyes.  Obviously, whatever you buy, there must be no potential for leaks...they could be catastrophic!  Read up and enjoy your project...am thrilled for you!

Non-noob components.

Statistics
86396 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.