Topic Title: Missing target gpu temperature and max fan speed in overdrive with 2 r9 290's
Topic Summary: So 2 missing features and I can't monitor metrics or change fan speed on my 2nd r9 290
Created On: 03/04/2014 04:02 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/04/2014 04:02 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Elusiveparticle
Peon

Graphics Cards: 2 XFX R9 290's DD's stock clock

Catalyst: Latest beta drivers and latest stable build

Motherboard: Asus Sabortooth 990FX (1st gen)

Powersupply: XFX 1050 Gold

Display Device: Dell U3014 & ViewSonic touchsreen (forgot exact model at work right now) using DVI cables for both

CPU: FX 8350 clocked at 4.3 (will need to get multiplier settings later)

Motherboard Bios Version: One of the latest ones for that 1st gen Sabortooth if not the latest. Will have to check.

System Memory: Transcend aXeRam 8 GB - 4 GB x 2 - DDR3 Desktop DIMM 2000 MHz (PC3-16000) Dual Channel Gaming RAM Kit - TX2000KLN-8GK

Use a 256gb Plextor m5p for boot into Windows 8.1 64 bit

System has been stable at the 4.3 clock for over a year.

Issues:

Sunday evening I went ahead and upgraded my 6970 to 2 XFX R9 290 DDs. What I didn't do is uninstall drivers before I added both cards. This may have contributed to the issue.

I installed the latest beta drivers and it detected both cards and allowed me to check the crossfire option. Under the Overdrive section, I intended to lower my max temperature and increase the max fan speed, but both options are missing. My understanding is my Overdrive should look like this: http://images.anandtech.com/doci/7457/290_OD.png 

Well it looks like that except it only has a slider to manually adjust the fan speed. So, I went ahead and uninstalled the latest beta drivers by using the AMD installer software and installing the last full build version. I am still missing both options. Against my better judgment, I tried Driver Display Uninstaller (which found some remains of the 6970 which I thought would fix it but it didn't),  I tried a manual method of driver uninstall which didn't work, and I tried the methods outlined in the Troubleshooting Common AMD catalyst Driver Install Issues. Under Part 2o of those directions in that stickied thread:

• Navigate to the folder, "C:\Windows\assembly"
  • Sort the entries by, "Public Key Token"
  • Locate entries with the public key token, "90ba9c70f846762e"
I could not locate a public key token after uninstalling the drivers again. 
I'm at a loss. It seems I cannot get the proper options under the Overdrive section of Catalyst Control. Also I cannot see any of the temps, fan speed, or utilization when I select the 2nd card under Overdrive (is this normal or not??). That means I cannot control the fan speed on it either.
I apologize for the length of this post, but I need some help. My next course of action is to refresh my Windows 8.1 install. Any other ideas would be extremely welcome as I cannot find this topic covered ANYWHERE on the Internet (checked here, overclock.net, and numerous other tech sites).

Edited: 03/04/2014 at 04:31 PM by Elusiveparticle
 03/04/2014 04:32 PM

Author Icon
Elusiveparticle
Peon

Sorry for not including my system info in my OP. I have included what I could get from here and will try to get the rest later if it is relevant. Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

03/04/2014 08:29 PM

Author Icon
Elusiveparticle
Peon

A little update. I went ahead and removed the 2nd R9 "slave" card and I am still missing the target gpu temperature and max fand speed in the overdrive part of the CCC. I am only running 1 R9 290 now.

Any advice or help would be appreciated.

03/05/2014 12:45 AM

Author Icon
Earnhardt
Case Modder

truthfully after I read what you posted,do A fresh windows install.

-------------------------

AMD Phenom II 1100t @4.0Ghz /Asus sabertooth 990fx/2x Gigabyte 3G 7950's in crossfire/500G samsung 840 ssd/16G G-Skill Ripjaw 1600/2-samsung 24" monitors 1920X1200/Corsair AX1200W psu/W7 pro 64,G19 keyboard,Roccat kone pure mouse,Cooler master HAF932,Corsair H100i water cooler,Zalman ram cooler.Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series,Logitech Z5500 speakers,Roccat Kave 5.1 headset.

03/05/2014 09:49 AM

Author Icon
Elusiveparticle
Peon

I agree. It seems like a software issue so I went ahead and bit the bullet.

I formatted last night and should have Windows 8 back and running some time this evening after I return from work. Thank you for your reply Earnhardt. I will keep you posted on if this works. If it doesn't, I will be completely out of ideas.

03/05/2014 09:46 PM

Author Icon
Elusiveparticle
Peon

I formated and did a fresh windows install. I installed beta drivers v14.2.  Catalyst Control Center under the "Enable Graphics OverDrive" has the following:

"Power limit settings"

"GPU clock settings"

"High Performance memory clock settings"

"Enable manual fan control"

I am still missing "target gpu temperature" and "max fan speed" in overdrive. I did a complete wipe and installed Windows 8.1 64 bit with no other programs or features added and it still doesn't work. I still have my 2nd R9 290 DD taken out of the system. I'm at a loss as to what to do now to get it properly working.

03/06/2014 12:07 AM

Author Icon
Elusiveparticle
Peon

I installed MSI afterburner to see if it would work for fan speed control and I think it may be working (loaded up far cry 3 and crossfire appeared to work and it was auto adjusting fan speed as I specified which means there are probably no hardware issues; will do further benchmark testing soon to confirm). I have no idea what the deal is with the CCC for me, but at least I may have a viable alternative.

03/06/2014 02:15 AM

Author Icon
UcouldBrong
Case Modder

Would never recommend a OS re-install unless the system was completely locked up or you bricked one or more SSDs or HDDs!

Would recommend uninstalling current drivers (with or w/o using AMD Uninstall) definately using Driver Fusion and reinstalling latest or if repeated install failure trying a previous driver version.

-------------------------

Non-noob components.

03/06/2014 03:02 PM

Author Icon
Elusiveparticle
Peon

Originally posted by: UcouldBrong Would never recommend a OS re-install unless the system was completely locked up or you bricked one or more SSDs or HDDs!

Would recommend uninstalling current drivers (with or w/o using AMD Uninstall) definately using Driver Fusion and reinstalling latest or if repeated install failure trying a previous driver version.

I already formated and reinstalled 8.1 fresh. See above. Before that, I tried Driver Display Uninstaller and AMD's uninstall software and tried both the beta and stable drivers. In sum, I probably uninstalled and reinstalled drivers 8 to 10 times prior to my format using a variety of different methods, from manual removal to automated. 

Do you still recommend trying out Driver Fusion even after my format?  I'm not getting an "install failure". My issue is described in my original post.

05/15/2014 07:43 PM

Author Icon
XTA
Peon

Just came here to say i have the same issue  (see http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=454&threadid=173813 ) but no solution yet.

Statistics
85343 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.