Topic Title: Don't buy R9 290X Crossfire Battlefield 4 Mantle or DirectX
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/07/2014 06:04 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/07/2014 06:04 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
ysn
Peon

He guys,

This is my first post on this forum. I need help and to tell you this important information. One month ago I started building my first new Gaming PC for battlefield 4. My specs

-------------------------

i7 4770K @ 4.5

MSI Z87 Xpower

2x MSI R9 290X GAMING 4GB (Crossfire)

16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400Mhz

Samsung SSD 840 Pro 256GB

PSU Corsair RM1000

Windows 8.1 64Bit

Samsung Full LED HD TV UE46F5000, 100Hz Clear Rate Motion

--------------------------

I thought I had a beast setup with those 290X in Crossfire, but I was wrong...

Since day one I had issues playing Battlefield 4 with smoothness, expected FPS, no lag etc. The FPS I was getting was terrible. I must mention 290X CROSSFIRE reviews are mostly or only above 1920x1080 resolution.

My first step was to change my motherboard to MSI Z87 Xpower (changed it with Asus Z87 Plus or Deluxe). MSI Z87 Xpower supports PCI-e 3.0 at dual x16 x16. Even though I have seen lots of people telling that it doesnt make a difference to have x8 x8 2.0/3.0 etc. In my case, they were wrong. I had a huge FPS boost. I think it was double. Ive read alot of other guys having R9 290X Crossfire issues, so this might help you. Test it out. 

Went from average 80/100 to 180/200 FPS. Crossfire enabled (and there is a big problem with Crossfire I will show and talk about further down).

I was happy with the results. I was always testing in TEST RANGE and using the internal BF4 FPS monitor. Typing Perfoverlay.drawfps 1 , ENTER after pressing this button ~ on keyboard. I couldnt really see difference in Crossfire ON/OFF. Both were smooth and the difference was something like Single GPU 140 FPS

Crossfire 200 FPS (maybe more, values above 200 are not supported). 

AMD Mantle was Enabled. Using AMD Catalyst version 14.1 (beta). 

I benchmarked with Heaven Unigine 4.0 and got the same results as in this review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5AVIaeWZ1k

(Im going to try contact Paul in this video or Newegg TV. At 2:52 you can see that at 1920x1080 resolution R9 290X has problems with 3-/4-way Crossfire. Something like +2 FPS from 2-way R9 290X. At 4:30 he talks about the bad scalers while benchmarking Crossfire. He mentions BF4 at 1080 bad. I will try to find out what he means with that. A little further he tells that AMD has designed these cards for 4K and not 1080

Meanwhile I have played Battlefield 4 alot and have followed steps to get the best FPS boost and smoothness while playing. Found tips on forums (thanks guys   and youtube.

-Unparking CPU Cores

-EnableULPS set all find in regedit to 0, means off (some sort of power saving management)

-Control Panel,select in Power Options - High Performance

-BIOS, Disable Intel EIST

Still while I was playing I noticed that something was off, but I just went on playing. But still couldnt believe that this was the result of the money I spent. Others on youtube had older build systems than mine and there game experience looked much better. I dont think it was only because they were using desktop monitors with higher resolutions like 2560x1440 etc.

At this moment Im using AMD Catalyst version 14.2 (beta). Two important highlights

- Mantle: Multi-GPU configurations (up to 4 GPUs) running Battlefield 4 are now supported

- Frame Pacing for Dual Graphics and non-XDMA configurations above 2560x1600 are now supported with Battlefield 3 and Battlefield 4

So what I did yesterday was disable Crossfire and I was shocked. It was a great look and feeling while playing. Never seen Battlefield 4 this smooth. Finally I saw the real FPS that was being recorded on screen. The R9 290X is a beast. Unfortunately only in Single GPU mode. When putting 2x R9 290X Crossfire at work you lose. Please look at the pictures beneath. Its weird.

My description of what is happening in words (Probably tomorrow I will record two videos. Crossfire ON and OFF. Not sure if the difference will be shown while recording. Cant record above 60 fps with Mantle at the moment. Using Mirillis Action desktop mode to record. And chaging Fullscreen in BF4 video settings to Borderless or Windowed)

CROSSFIRE enabled shows higher FPS on screen in comparison with Single R9 290X. That is what is suppose to be happening right? But when you actually play. The Crossfire is worse. I think it had something to do with the two cards not working together properly and drivers. And the only information I could find is in the above youtube video. But not the complete story Im looking for or any solution. What is wrong with these cards? 

So after using "Perfoverlay.framefilelogenable 1" and analysing the logs saved in my documents. I got the pictures beneath. I played two games for testing Conquest large 64 players on Ultra.

You can see that the average FPS is only 20/25 FPS higher in Crossfire. With a second card enabled I expect at least somewhere near 50% FPS boost. 20/25 is to low, need at least 60 FPS more with CROSSFIRE enabled. And the average GPU FPS is lower in Crossfire then SIngle GPU. The minimal GPU FPS has the same. Lower in Crossfire mode. 

These numbers are not shown in the FPS monitor while playing. But while playing you can feel something is off. I see 150 FPS in Crossfire but it feels like 30/60, while using Single R9 290X is great. You can just see it and it gets more obvious while playing for awhile and switching back to Single R9 290x to great gameplay

Siege of Shanghai Conquest Large 64 players

Graphic settings BF4, Mantle enabled

Playing on 1920x1080, 59/60Hz

So guys first of all thanks for reading. Maybe you have learned something. Finally I want to ask you for you help. I've seen others on youtube with R9 290X crossfire and no problems. They use above 1920x1080 resolutions. I was also minding my TV. It has 100Hz, but i cant select above 60Hz in BF4 settings. But still I dont think this could be the issue causing the strange FPS drop and smoothness loss while playing in Crossfire. You think I should drag my PC to the store and test it with 120Hz?

The resolution the problem? This R9 290X Crossfire not supporting 1920x1080? Made for 2560x1440, 4K etc? Is this the wrong place to ask for help? 

I need to do some more testing with other games. Think will try Crysis 3 and BF3 tomorrow if possible. For now thnx. 

03/07/2014 11:47 PM

Author Icon
UcouldBrong
Case Modder

Your rig is able to power multiple monitors and you are trying to display on an Iphone(just kidding)!  Go to a 2560 x 1440 and it will perform much better.

You've got a great eye if you can see the difference between 80fps and 120fps.  Try weapon DOF.  Am wishing FOP would go to 140 and you're using 90!

Give the drivers for these cards time to mature. 

Experiment with Supersampling and other settings in CCC.

Non-noob components.

03/08/2014 12:26 AM

Author Icon
ashton4life
Buffed

Originally posted by: ysn He guys,

This is my first post on this forum. I need help and to tell you this important information. One month ago I started building my first new Gaming PC for battlefield 4. My specs

i7 4770K @ 4.5

MSI Z87 Xpower

2x MSI R9 290X GAMING 4GB (Crossfire)

16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400Mhz

Samsung SSD 840 Pro 256GB

PSU Corsair RM1000

Windows 8.1 64Bit

Samsung Full LED HD TV UE46F5000, 100Hz Clear Rate Motion

--------------------------

I thought I had a beast setup with those 290X in Crossfire, but I was wrong...

Since day one I had issues playing Battlefield 4 with smoothness, expected FPS, no lag etc. The FPS I was getting was terrible. I must mention 290X CROSSFIRE reviews are mostly or only above 1920x1080 resolution.

My first step was to change my motherboard to MSI Z87 Xpower (changed it with Asus Z87 Plus or Deluxe). MSI Z87 Xpower supports PCI-e 3.0 at dual x16 x16. Even though I have seen lots of people telling that it doesnt make a difference to have x8 x8 2.0/3.0 etc. In my case, they were wrong. I had a huge FPS boost. I think it was double. Ive read alot of other guys having R9 290X Crossfire issues, so this might help you. Test it out. 

Went from average 80/100 to 180/200 FPS. Crossfire enabled (and there is a big problem with Crossfire I will show and talk about further down).

I was happy with the results. I was always testing in TEST RANGE and using the internal BF4 FPS monitor. Typing Perfoverlay.drawfps 1 , ENTER after pressing this button ~ on keyboard. I couldnt really see difference in Crossfire ON/OFF. Both were smooth and the difference was something like Single GPU 140 FPS

Crossfire 200 FPS (maybe more, values above 200 are not supported). 

AMD Mantle was Enabled. Using AMD Catalyst version 14.1 (beta). 

I benchmarked with Heaven Unigine 4.0 and got the same results as in this review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5AVIaeWZ1k

(Im going to try contact Paul in this video or Newegg TV. At 2:52 you can see that at 1920x1080 resolution R9 290X has problems with 3-/4-way Crossfire. Something like +2 FPS from 2-way R9 290X. At 4:30 he talks about the bad scalers while benchmarking Crossfire. He mentions BF4 at 1080 bad. I will try to find out what he means with that. A little further he tells that AMD has designed these cards for 4K and not 1080

Meanwhile I have played Battlefield 4 alot and have followed steps to get the best FPS boost and smoothness while playing. Found tips on forums (thanks guys   and youtube.

-Unparking CPU Cores

-EnableULPS set all find in regedit to 0, means off (some sort of power saving management)

-Control Panel,select in Power Options - High Performance

-BIOS, Disable Intel EIST

Still while I was playing I noticed that something was off, but I just went on playing. But still couldnt believe that this was the result of the money I spent. Others on youtube had older build systems than mine and there game experience looked much better. I dont think it was only because they were using desktop monitors with higher resolutions like 2560x1440 etc.

At this moment Im using AMD Catalyst version 14.2 (beta). Two important highlights

- Mantle: Multi-GPU configurations (up to 4 GPUs) running Battlefield 4 are now supported

- Frame Pacing for Dual Graphics and non-XDMA configurations above 2560x1600 are now supported with Battlefield 3 and Battlefield 4

So what I did yesterday was disable Crossfire and I was shocked. It was a great look and feeling while playing. Never seen Battlefield 4 this smooth. Finally I saw the real FPS that was being recorded on screen. The R9 290X is a beast. Unfortunately only in Single GPU mode. When putting 2x R9 290X Crossfire at work you lose. Please look at the pictures beneath. Its weird.

My description of what is happening in words (Probably tomorrow I will record two videos. Crossfire ON and OFF. Not sure if the difference will be shown while recording. Cant record above 60 fps with Mantle at the moment. Using Mirillis Action desktop mode to record. And chaging Fullscreen in BF4 video settings to Borderless or Windowed)

CROSSFIRE enabled shows higher FPS on screen in comparison with Single R9 290X. That is what is suppose to be happening right? But when you actually play. The Crossfire is worse. I think it had something to do with the two cards not working together properly and drivers. And the only information I could find is in the above youtube video. But not the complete story Im looking for or any solution. What is wrong with these cards? 

So after using "Perfoverlay.framefilelogenable 1" and analysing the logs saved in my documents. I got the pictures beneath. I played two games for testing Conquest large 64 players on Ultra.

You can see that the average FPS is only 20/25 FPS higher in Crossfire. With a second card enabled I expect at least somewhere near 50% FPS boost. 20/25 is to low, need at least 60 FPS more with CROSSFIRE enabled. And the average GPU FPS is lower in Crossfire then SIngle GPU. The minimal GPU FPS has the same. Lower in Crossfire mode. 

These numbers are not shown in the FPS monitor while playing. But while playing you can feel something is off. I see 150 FPS in Crossfire but it feels like 30/60, while using Single R9 290X is great. You can just see it and it gets more obvious while playing for awhile and switching back to Single R9 290x to great gameplay

Graphic settings BF4, Mantle enabled

Playing on 1920x1080, 59/60Hz

So guys first of all thanks for reading. Maybe you have learned something. Finally I want to ask you for you help. I've seen others on youtube with R9 290X crossfire and no problems. They use above 1920x1080 resolutions. I was also minding my TV. It has 100Hz, but i cant select above 60Hz in BF4 settings. But still I dont think this could be the issue causing the strange FPS drop and smoothness loss while playing in Crossfire. You think I should drag my PC to the store and test it with 120Hz?

The resolution the problem? This R9 290X Crossfire not supporting 1920x1080? Made for 2560x1440, 4K etc? Is this the wrong place to ask for help? 

I need to do some more testing with other games. Think will try Crysis 3 and BF3 tomorrow if possible. For now thnx. 

Hi YSN,

From what I have noticed my 120hz monitor made a huge difference. Since my two HD7950s give me 100-120 in BF4 my monitor actually allows the true visual experience with out screen tearing. My gaming is very smooth compaired to my old 60hz monitor. Crossfire has worked with my sytem since release and i get a about a 30% increase in FPS compared to a single card. This website explains the effects better...http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/do-you-need-a-120hz-or-240-hz-monitor/#!yXCpO

I cant say this will solve your problems but it hopefully gives you some insight on why its great for gaming.

Corsair 600T Modded Case

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.9 ghz
Corsair H100I

Asus Crosshair IV Formula

2 x Sapphire HD7950 (Stock speeds)
2 x 4Gb = 8Gb Corsair Vengeance
2 x 120Gb G.Skills SSD Raid 0
1 x WD 1tb
Enermax Revolution +85 1050w

Edited: 03/08/2014 at 12:32 AM by ashton4life
 03/08/2014 12:36 PM

Author Icon
ysn
Peon

Thank you ashton!

I am going to try out a different screen. One with higher Hz! I hope it will make a difference. 

03/08/2014 08:20 PM

Author Icon
ashton4life
Buffed

Originally posted by: ysn Thank you ashton!

I am going to try out a different screen. One with higher Hz! I hope it will make a difference. 

Also I do believe you should see new drivers coming out that will enhance your 290x's in Crossfire, this is expected.

Corsair 600T Modded Case

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.9 ghz
Corsair H100I

Asus Crosshair IV Formula

2 x Sapphire HD7950 (Stock speeds)
2 x 4Gb = 8Gb Corsair Vengeance
2 x 120Gb G.Skills SSD Raid 0
1 x WD 1tb
Enermax Revolution +85 1050w

03/12/2014 02:17 AM

Author Icon
astrix
Peon

To get the best perfomance out of these two cards running Mantle 14.2v3 on a 1920x1080p monitor use the following settings in BF4.

Ultra

Resolution scale 135%

Verticle Sync OFF (very important in this situation).

This will make your internal resolutuon 2592x1458.  Check it by entering into the console "Render.DrawScreenInfo 1" and it displays both resolutions

In AMD CCC set Frame Pacing to: ON.

I use these on a 120hz 1080p monitor at 135% resolution the graphics are amazing and I average 120-135+ fps. Compared to 100% resolution 135% is so much more crisp and detailed especially the textures, but ut takes a hit on your GPU's but IMHO that is the sweet spot for these cards at 1080P 120Hz.

I'm waiting for a minimum 120hz 1440p monitor, or better yet 4K lol.

At the above settings your 2 MSI r9 290x's will be running at 100% each giving you stable performance.

These cards were designed and optimised for Mantle and this is what the Resolution setting in BF4 is there for

There is Ultra and then there is Ultra at over 100% resultion The higher the better

EDIT: Something I found out they can run into a memory issue, they seem to run out of memory and start to lag. Make sure you restart your PC before playing, I think this happens more often after the PC was in Hybernation mode. Rebooting the PC before starting BF4 helps alot, pretty much fixes it. Though AMD has to look at this memory issue.

Hope this helps.

ASUS Maximus VI Formula -  i7 4770K - H80i -  2x MSI R9 290X's - HyperX 16GB Ram - 250GB + 500GB SSD - Samsung SA950 1920x1080P @120hz - Seasonic 1000w 80 Plus Platnum...

BF4 -Ultra 1920x1080P @ 135% Resolution smashing out avg. 120+fps on Mantle. That's 2592x1458 internal resolution :)

Edited: 03/16/2014 at 01:55 AM by astrix
 03/20/2014 08:23 AM

Author Icon
Agente Silva
Peon

You don´t get it... R9 290X Crossfire to run 1920*1024? Is this a MAX FPS contest?!!!! Eyefinity that and bring us real problems xD

03/21/2014 11:46 PM

Author Icon
UcouldBrong
Case Modder

Doesn't take much to run BF4.  You may want to contemplate Eyefinity or a 4k monitor to get benefits of 290X crossfired!

Play a "Total War" game or maybe Crysis3 or ARMA III with everything turned up and you'll see your performance...drop!  Even Black Flag is more demanding then BF4.

Non-noob components.

04/12/2014 07:48 PM

Author Icon
astrix
Peon

Originally posted by: UcouldBrong Doesn't take much to run BF4.  You may want to contemplate Eyefinity or a 4k monitor to get benefits of 290X crossfired!

Play a "Total War" game or maybe Crysis3 or ARMA III with everything turned up and you'll see your performance...drop!  Even Black Flag is more demanding then BF4.

My merroy issues have gone away since not leaving full screen after a game and the next map is loading, it was a bad habbit I had of going to check my stats on battlelog while the next map is loading.

Now I can leave it on 1920x1080p 120Hz at 135 % resulution! 

So I am running a resolution of 2592x1458P at 120hz. That is crossfire limits on the R9 290x, it sits at around 120fps! 

There isn't even a monitor available to play this natively yet! 1440P 120hz thats what my 2 290x are playing at at 100% usage!

EDIT: Afterburner by default turns up my Voltage to 20+ on my MSI Twin Frozr 290x OC. Turning my voltage back to 0 reduced my temps by 10 degrees celcious.

ASUS Maximus VI Formula -  i7 4770K - H80i -  2x MSI R9 290X's - HyperX 16GB Ram - 250GB + 500GB SSD - Samsung SA950 1920x1080P @120hz - Seasonic 1000w 80 Plus Platnum...

BF4 -Ultra 1920x1080P @ 135% Resolution smashing out avg. 120+fps on Mantle. That's 2592x1458 internal resolution :)

Edited: 04/13/2014 at 06:57 AM by astrix
 04/12/2014 08:02 PM

Author Icon
astrix
Peon

Originally posted by: ysntion the problem? This R9 290X Crossfire not supporting 1920x1080? Made for 2560x1440, 4K etc? Is this the wrong place to ask for help? 

This being a new high end card AMD will first optimise for high resulution displays. They need to optimise for all configurations so at 14.3 there seems to be a lot more efficiancy released for these cards at a lot more configurations then there were at 14.1.

I found my sweet spot 1440p 120Hz through 135% resolution in BF4 running Ultra where my GPU's are rendering with all their power. 

There was a huge difference in the last update so I recomend really testing every beta release that comes out as these cards are becoming unleashed and will crush all before them lol jk.

04/13/2014 01:41 AM

Author Icon
UcouldBrong
Case Modder

OK...I admit it...am missing the point.

Non-noob components.

08/01/2014 02:24 AM

Author Icon
zvonkorp
Peon

Umm in your post you mentioned you ran all fo these tests in windowed borderless mode or windowed mode.

Crossfire is not enabled in windowed mode. Only in full screen mode will you get the second card to turn on.

Sorry.

Statistics
89057 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.