Topic Title: Looking for help with Crossfire.
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/25/2014 07:20 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/25/2014 07:20 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
grimreaper1014
Peon

Hi guys,

I am looking for some help with Crossfire. I have two Sapphire HD7970's OC with Boost. I am trying to make sure I am getting the most out of my cards. I have installed the lastest beta driver. I have also disabled ULPS. The AMD Catalyst Center is running default settings right now except I used the Scaling Options because my screen had a black border around it. Enable AMD CrossfireX is also enabled. Is there any other changes that I should make? Will all my games now utilize both graphics cards? I am completely new to all this. I just got into PC gaming not to long ago. I know a while back there use to be a profile you could download that I beleive optimized games for Crossfire and better graphics. I am looking for a crash course on this fellas.

Thank you,

Rocky

03/25/2014 08:09 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
zipsi
Elite

System specs? How well they run entirely depends on cpu and motherboard.

-------------------------
Intel I7 3770K @ 4.5ghz, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Gigabyte HD7970 ghz edition, 4x4gb Kingston HyperX Beast 2133mhz, Seasonic Platinum 860, Samsung 840 Pro 256gb, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb, WD Black 1TB, WD Green 3TB+1.5TB, ASUS Xonar Essence ST, ASUS VE278Q, Windows 3.11
 03/25/2014 08:56 PM

Author Icon
UcouldBrong
Overclocker

Not all games will utilize CrossfireX.  Some frustratingly will not work well or at all...

Since you have not posted your other specs we have no idea of potential bottlenecks or low performance components.

Recommend you optimize your OS and use an ssd for your gaming applications.

FRAPS can give you some reference as to how your system is performing.

Be sure you have very good airflow when using Crossfire, especially overclocked.  Monitor your gpu temps and bump up your gpu fans if necessary.

Experiment with the 3D Application Settings to determine best overall performance.  A better "look" can be obtained by carefully adjusting variables in "My Digital Flat Panels" tab.

Depending on the game and your specific cpu, some benefit may be realized by a small OC to your processor.

Don't fiddle with your memory (RAM) settings.

Go into your motherboard utility and study it as well as your f motherboard manual.

Try to keep gpu temps under ~80C or so.

Non-noob components.

03/27/2014 12:06 PM

Author Icon
grimreaper1014
Peon

Thanks for your replies fellas. Here are my system specs.

ASUS VS247-HP 23.6" 2ms LED Monitor

Switch 810 Case

Windows 8.1 x64

i7 3770k @4.5GHz Swiftech H320 AIO Watercooling Push/Pull Config

ASRock z77 Extreme 6

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600Mhz 2x4GB CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B

2 Sapphire HD7970 OC With Boost Running BIOS 2 1000Mhz/1450MHz

Corsair AX850 PSU

Samsung EVO 840 250gb, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb, OCZ Solid 3 60gb, and Hitachi 750gb Spinner

@ UcouldBrong What do you mean by optimize OS? I have my games installed to my SSD's. I use the Hitachi 750gb spinner for backups. I have also added extra 140mm fans to my Switch 810 to improve cooling further. Should I make changes to the 3D application settings even though my games have options to change their settings? Could you recommend some settings I should start out with?

Thanks again guys.

03/28/2014 12:42 AM

Author Icon
UcouldBrong
Overclocker

You will do well in your computer adventures.

Pleased to hear that you are using a Swiftech cooler.  You can even improve the fans for quieter and more airflow with CougarPWMs.

A really effective way to help pull the heat from the gpus is to place a fan on the outside of the case where the gpus exhaust.

Go to SSDreview and read OS Optimization Guide and SSD Optimization Guide.  Do everything as recommended and your build will perform...beautifully.

As to 3D settings, change Texture Filtering  Quality to "High Quality", Surface Format to "On",  Morph Filtering to "Off" and leave everything else at default.  You can experiment with Adaptive and Super Sampling but, depending on the game are a huge draw...see what results YOU get using FRAPS, etc.

Non-noob components.

Edited: 03/28/2014 at 12:49 AM by UcouldBrong
 03/28/2014 12:34 PM

Author Icon
grimreaper1014
Peon

Thanks for the tips. I have made the changes you recommended. Yesterday I was having problems with Titanfall crashing. It would just crash without any error whats so ever. I even checked the event logs. I think it had something to do with the lastest AMD beta drivers. The reason I say this is I uninstalled them and installed the latest stable release with your tweaks and everything is fine now. I have also set the GPU fans to manual and set them to 70%. They are pretty loud but it is definetely keeping them nice and cool. Thanks again for all your help. I greatly appreciate it.

03/29/2014 12:03 PM

Author Icon
UcouldBrong
Overclocker

If possible, change other variables so that you only run the fans at 50-60% or less.  Always think in terms of improving airflow.  Consider upgrades to case fans, keep everything as clean as possible and add a 120mm PWM outside the case gpu exhaust area to assist removal of the hot gpu air.  Installing an interior fan to blow across the cards can help as well.

Non-noob components.

03/29/2014 02:09 PM

Author Icon
grimreaper1014
Peon

Right now I have 6 Swiftech Helix 120 PWM fans for the radiator in push/pull. Then, I have 6 NZXT FN-140 fans installed in the NZXT Switch 810 case. I'm not sure what you mean by adding a fan to the gpu exhaust area. I don't know how I would get it to stay there. One of my biggest problems is dust. It has always been my biggest problem. Regardless of what case I have dust always seams to make its way into the PC very badly. I clean it once a week with my DataVac electronic duster but once its in there you can't never really get it all out unless you rip everything out. The stock fan filters are not really catching any of the dust because its just too fine. I had the same problem in my HAF912 case with Silverstone fan filters. I'm thinking about purchasing this fan filter set but I really hope it will help because all the fan filters I have used so far suck.

03/29/2014 11:49 PM

Author Icon
UcouldBrong
Overclocker

There is much arguing about what works best for cooling cases; negative pressure or positive pressure.  Do a little research on the subject.  Experiment with increasing the intake of cooler air OR the removal of warmer air.  I try to strike an equal balance and my case is remarkably clean !  Once a year, though I completely dismantle everything and use a small brush and vacuum to completey remove ALL dust.  You will be amazed how much dust there will be in your radiator fins and even the gpu fans!  Obviously, do NOT take apart your gpus!!  If the dust filters you are contemplating have better specs than those supplied with your case they may be worth getting.  BE SURE to discharge any possible static charge buildup by grounding your hand to the case frame before touching anything inside!  Carefully wipe down everything with a slightly dampened cloth perhaps a Qtip for hard to reach areas.  Don't forget the power supply!

The fan can easily be attached to the back of the case with velcro.  When you feel the extra heat that fan pulls out of your case...you'll wonder why you hadn't thought of it, yourself.

There is nothing wrong with the supplied Swiftech fans.  The Cougs are just quieter and move more air.  Not a big deal since we don't normally need to overclock too much for gaming,  Jus sayin. 

As far as 140mm case fans...I would use the FZ series as they are VERY quiet for the huge extra amount of airflow they provide.  Of course it is NOT critical and you'll be fine with what you have...compare specs and see if you want to upgrade when they go on sale.

My case sits on a stand in a hall just outside the room where my kb and monitor is...three feet off the floor helping to minimize intake of "dirty" floor air.

Non-noob components.

Edited: 03/29/2014 at 11:55 PM by UcouldBrong
Statistics
84897 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.