Topic Title: v7800 - runs hot - need to crossfire with decent gaming card
Topic Summary: crossfire with v7800
Created On: 03/31/2014 08:19 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/31/2014 08:19 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
knostradamus
Peon

Hi all!

I'm new to this forum but I've been a proud advocate of my amd v7800 and have been showing it off to many people for the past year or so. Though this card does exactly what I need it to do as to my professional career and hobby life, it does fall a bit short in the gaming department. Currently, the card runs a bit hot, like 90c +. Though, this only happenes while gaming. It's meant for bursts of raw computational power so I know this card isn't build for long term grinding while gaming. Any thoughts as to how I could manage a crossfire with a standard gaming card? I'm not very familiar with crossfire and I don't know much about the amd gaming card world. I don't need anything over $300. Just enough to offload on something that is designed to handle the stress.

Thank you guys!

03/31/2014 04:06 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
UcouldBrong
Overclocker

For Crossfire, if possible, get an exact brand, model, and version of the card you have.

Be *sure* you research the power requirements necessary for running both cards.

Upgrade your case fans or add more fans to increase positive OR negative case airflow that you decide upon.

Experiment with manual gpu fan speeds to get a temp and noise level you can live with.

Adding a 120mm PWM fan with Velcro (very secure mounting method) to the outside of the case in the video cards exhaust area (where your connection to monitor is) will directly assist in removing hot air from the cards and the case.

Lower ambient temperatures increase cooling performance.

Read tfm for your motherboard.

-------------------------

Non-noob components.

Statistics
84251 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 7 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.