Topic Title: AMD 7970 cfx screen flashes to black and back again randomly
Topic Summary: Screen goes black and then comes back to normal again
Created On: 04/05/2014 09:46 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/05/2014 09:46 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
TheOneEpicLegend
Peon

Ok, guys, i have a problem....
i have my dual 7970 for about 2 years now and had no problem till the recent months.
So here is the deal, at random times my screen flashes to black and then back to normal again but everything works fine,
i mean sound plays and all, i can move mouse and all its just the screen, and no its not the monitor neither the hdmi cable,
cause i have checked that.
I have 3 os on my pc: 7 ultimate 64/ 8 enterpraise 64/ vista home prem 32
now i have checked only 2 of them ( 7 and 8) and it occurs on both OS'. I have latest drivers installed on 7 and a bit older on 8
and it occurs on both os' , and when i take out the drivers the problem magically stops for a day only to reoccur again after a 
while even without the amd software (the drivers).
Ofc now i am running the latest amd drivers and the problem mainly occurs when i am in desktop and running either some unrelated to gaming programms or using bittorrent or even with no programm at all ( just desktop).
While i game i think it happened only 3 times inside a game but it has happened countless times outside them, even on a spree
(i mean one after the other e.g. i run League of legends and while i am at champion select screen flashes to black about 10-11 times one after the other). Also i have noticed that on win 8 it happens way more often than on win 7. Also while at that i had some others problems which i fixed 1st i had to change cfx bridge cause with the previous one the crossfire suddenly got disabled O.o 2nd while i was playing graphically intensive games (e.g tomb raider, dmc and others) the system froze after an hour or something of gaming and it happened many times though i fixed it by pumping my fans at 80% when i play games like those and the results where these: i had my system running for 12 hours and doing stuff, playing games and then i put the fan on 80% and run tomb raider and got to play 5 hours straight with no problem while if i had not done that after about an hour the fps would drop drastically the sound would have got distorted (this is happening if i dont increase the fan speed to about 80%) and the system would freeze/bsod ( so maybe the gpu was overheating but the fans werent doing their job on automatic.... but now its ok- i got 67 celsius after 5 hours tomb raider and after some mins it got to 37-38 celsius with fans at 80$ and after like 10-13 mins it goes down to 30-33 celsius  )
Ok now back to the problem at hand, randomly my screen goes black for about 1 to 3 secs and then goes back to normal again and it can even happen on a spree like 11-12 screen flashes one after the other (its like when u install the amd drivers and ur screen goes black and then back to normal again for quite many times till the installation is finished.... ok its not exactly like that but it's similar).
And lastly there is something else that happened, yesterday while i had my system running about 10 hours and played some games watched some youtube videos and stuff, while i was watching a video the screen flashes like usually once then after some time it flashes again and i get welcomed with a BSOD that said something about a atikmpag.sys and when i reboot i see video hardware error and system shutdown unexpectedly messages....)
Well i hope it is not the hardware's problem (GPUs) cause i cant afford new cards and i really dont want my gpus to be faulty...
:\ i hope it is a software error or something that can be fixed.
Now i posted here so maybe i can get some help about fixing the problem and i would really like to know if other poeple have the same problem and if they managed to fix it (i have searched forums and i have seen similar instances but they had no solution except rma ;_; ) Well i really want ur help and pls read carefully my post cause i think i have mentioned everything that i know of and i really "crave" for a fix to this problem ( maybe if i flash the bios ? ..... i dunno, pls help me).
I really, really want to fix this (and i think its not a gpu/hardware problem - look my post and u'll see things that just aint fit with it being a gpu/hardware malfunction/faultiness)

04/05/2014 12:05 PM

Author Icon
UcouldBrong
Case Modder

System specs?  NOT "dx diag"

-------------------------

Non-noob components.

04/05/2014 06:41 PM

Author Icon
TheOneEpicLegend
Peon

My Specs are these:

i7 2600k 4.2ghz

corsair vengeance 16gb ram

dual amd 7970 cfx

lg monitor/tv

dont remember hdd ( i have 6: 3 internal, 3 external)

dont remember mobo

1200 psu corsair ax1200

If u want to know more and its very important then i'll work my best to find all the information required

04/05/2014 11:38 PM

Author Icon
UcouldBrong
Case Modder

You have made some good decisions in choosing your components.  Understanding your motherboard may be the most important factor in solving many problems.  Recommend you read TFM.

Always think about  H E A T when performance all of a sudden becomes erratic.

Go into the BIOS and MANUALLY set the equivalent "fan expert" or similar utility for your mobo mfg.  When temps rise on cpu the fan(s) will increase speed.  Personally believe in a radiator and push/pull cooling...very quiet and super effective!

Be sure in BIOS that your memory is at RAM stated speed; 1333, 1866Hz, etc.  Adjusting memory voltages and timings is NOT recommended unless you are experienced with these components.

Different drivers can effect temps.  Go for stability FIRST.  Find a driver where NO problems are encountered, then begin the laborius process of adjusting until something happens...

Pair of 7970s can put out serious heat.  I have a build with a pair of them and I ALWAYS keep the fan speeds at 45% or less unless overclocking!  Velcro an outside 120 mm PWM fan in the gpu exhaust area to assist the huge amounts of heat to be drawn OUT OF THE CASE.  Case airflow (positive/negative design) should be updated, upgraded and ALL components (including all fan blades) should be pristine clean in the case.

Non-noob components.

04/07/2014 11:18 AM

Author Icon
TheOneEpicLegend
Peon

My ram speed is default speed at 1600 mhz (i dont really want to oc ram cause  i dont see any significat point)

Now about the heat that u mentioned; i got my gpu fan speed to 80% now (did it yesterday) and i get great temps 31 idle and about 60 when gaming, when playing crysis 3 (max all full aa and stuff) it might get up to 67 i think ....

Well i'll see what i can do, plus a think i've noticed; after the bsod the screen flashes have almost dissappeared only 2-3 have happened in the past 2.5 days.

I really think its software related, i will investigate further through the course of time and keep updating

(Ty for that answer, i was expecting the usual rma and "ur gpu is faulty buy new" )

04/07/2014 12:50 PM

Author Icon
UcouldBrong
Case Modder

Good.  Back off a little on the fan speed for longer fan life.  Increase case airflow.

Recommend that you back way off on that 4.2 GHz!  Heat and especially crashes are likely, particularly if you don't carefully adjust voltages.

Remember that if you auto OC cpu, RAM speed, timings will change.

Non-noob components.

04/08/2014 03:08 PM

Author Icon
TheOneEpicLegend
Peon

I am running 4.2ghz for about 2 years now and had no problem with the cpu; my temps r 38-40 idle and 60-70 (at worst cases 70) full load.

I am pumping up the fan on my gpus when i am to go for over an hour or so of gaming, i dont run it at that speed all time

04/08/2014 05:18 PM

Author Icon
UcouldBrong
Case Modder

Cpu temps should be much lower and SHOULD BE ATTENDED TO !

That is a $300+ processor that I would be gentle with.  For gaming, there is very diminishing returns for overclocking your cpu.

Non-noob components.

04/13/2014 08:35 PM

Author Icon
TheOneEpicLegend
Peon

actually i tested my cpu with skyrim which is one of the most cpu intesnsive games out there and got a temp at 60C max which i think is good considering i run 4.2ghz.

Although thanks for the heads up and i'll keep it in mind and even considering lowering the speed as an option if sometime things go weird

(something that i would have not thought if u hadnt mentioned it, so ty )

Or i will just upgrade my cooler

Statistics
85527 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 6 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.