Topic Title: HD Radeon 6950 second card causing windows to not boot
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/14/2014 09:12 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/14/2014 09:12 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
MessyMike23
Peon

Sorry, I've tried everything I could think of to fix this myself, but it seems like I don't have the solution, although I can remember fixing the same problem in December 2012.

I'll start with how it happened, or rather what I was doing when it happened; I was using Steam remote desktop to play Halo 2, not exactly a performace demanding game. The computer froze on a black screen with nothing, not even the mouse, responding.

When I reboot the computer and it loaded into windows I went into CCC to disable crossfire, because I believed that to be the issue. CCC got to a point during the process of turning crossfire off in which my screen turned black, I sat there for a while before realizing it was never going to finish. After I reboot again I decided to uninstall CCC completely and reinstall it, hoping that would fix the issue. Instead it made things worse, I was unable to load windows as it sat in a black screen after the initial boot procedure.

I decided to remove the bottom card and reboot again, and while that worked, I wish still to crossfire or at least get my second card working again. I've been running the crossfire since December 2012 and have only had this issue once that I can remember.

I tried the clean uninstall utility, I've reinstalled CCC to the current drivers, and I've tried the beta drivers as well. I don't think I can get to the point again in which I can see the option in CCC "disable crossfire" because the second card causes windows to not load.

Any help would be appreciated.

04/14/2014 06:39 PM

Author Icon
Thanny
Alpha Geek

Try hitting F8 at boot and choosing low-resolution video.  That might get you to the point where you can re-install drivers.

04/15/2014 04:59 PM

Author Icon
UcouldBrong
Overclocker

You've swapped cards and are getting "Installing New Hardware" message when booting?

-------------------------

Non-noob components.

04/15/2014 08:27 PM

Author Icon
MessyMike23
Peon

Originally posted by: UcouldBrong You've swapped cards and are getting "Installing New Hardware" message when booting?

I'll run down the list of what I've tried:

1. With both cards in: black screen after windows loading screen ends.

2. With top card in only: boots up fine and runs fine.

3. With bottom card in only switched to top: has strange graphical errors (two blue columns running down both sides), and failes in the same way as 1.

4. Switched the card positions, but running both: same as 1.

I was able to get into CCC with both cards in at some point to try and disable crossfire, but it would only end in a black screen.

In safe mode it doesnt even recognize that the second card is there. I have a feeling the card is stuck in some sort of crossfire mode, but I really can't say for sure.

Anways, thanks for the help.

04/19/2014 12:58 AM

Author Icon
Thanny
Alpha Geek

If the one card won't boot by itself, you don't have a Crossfire issue.  You have a defective card. 

04/19/2014 01:22 AM

Author Icon
UcouldBrong
Overclocker

BEFORE pronouncing the card has died:

Did you get the "installing new hardware message"????

Have you disabled ANY remote service?

I wish we knew something about the motherboard and BIOS version you're using or anything else about what is in that case!!!  I keep looking and see nothing regarding your system specs...why is that?

Does second card not post or run fine by itself in the top slot? 

(Be sure you discharge static electrical charge before handling.)

Any dust buildup on cooler or fans on the card?

Non-noob components.

04/21/2014 07:34 PM

Author Icon
MessyMike2332
Peon

Sorry for taking so long to reply, and I had to make a new account because I can't remember my password.

@Thanny

While it's true the card could be dead, I said that I've had this issue before and I have fixed it. So, while possible I'm not thinking that it is dead just yet. 

It may mean nothing, but I can use the "broken" card in safemode.

@UcouldBrong

1. Not sure about the installing new hardware message, but in safe-mode it just didnt recognize the broken card when I tried to install CCC.

2. I don't know what this means, but it is possible. Still, if you could guide me through that a little more in detail I would be able to tell you. I think I went into msconfig or something to disable something.

3. Sorry, I don't think it's in my profile. I can send you a dxdiag for more details

here is some information though:

Motherboard: ASrock Z77 Extreme 4

Bios date: 11/28/12 Ver:04.06.05

4. The second card in the first slot does not finish loading windows, but it is able to get into safe mode. Still CCC does not recognize it even in safemode as an amd card.

5. The fans are all clean.

Thanks for the help.

04/22/2014 12:08 AM

Author Icon
UcouldBrong
Overclocker

Post system specs...not dxdiag.

Study Windows 7(8) Optimization Guide and you'll learn what that is.

http://www.thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/optimization-guides/the-windows-7-optimization-guide/2/

Isn't last BIOS update 07/23/13?

Non-noob components.

Edited: 04/22/2014 at 12:18 AM by UcouldBrong
Statistics
84836 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 8 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.