Topic Title: New To Crossfire Help Please
Topic Summary:
Created On: 05/31/2014 04:03 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/31/2014 04:03 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
valkyrie44
Peon

Hello, I've been using AMD hardware for some time, but this is my first time crossfiring. I bought an 850W 80 plus bronze psu especially for this setup, and i have a Sapphire R9 270X Vapor-X in the top primary position to my knowledge and a XFX R9 270X Double D card in the bottom secondary position. My prefered brand is Sapphire, but the reason they are two different brands is that when i got the first 270X the XFX one the urge to have it the same day via Best Buy won over ordering online and waiting a week to get it. I liked Sapphire's aftermarket coolers better though so i recently ordered my second 270X card. I figured sense i have two on hand i might as well try out Crossfire for the first time. When i booted up my PC for the first time the HDD LED was flickering allot and when i right clicked on the desktop the catalyst control manager dissappeared, but re-appeared a few seconds later and when i checked Crossfire was automatically enabled. I thought you had to enable it manually? Also, in GPU-Z when the select the secondary XFX card to check the stats it get's glitchy almost crashing unusable, and it displays hardly any information at all under the sensors tab. Even under the catalyst control manager when i look at the secondary XFX card it show's absolutely zero under clocks etc and the manual fan control doesn't work. I hope I'm worrying for nothing, but I'm completely new to this and i tend to baby my hardware trying to take care of it. Thank you in advance.

06/03/2014 09:18 AM

Author Icon
backFireX64
Alpha Geek

First of all, see:

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=454&threadid=160419&enterthread=y

and

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=454&threadid=172812&enterthread=y

, so that you can give enough feedback.

Now, i would advice to check device manager (also view hidden devices) so that you can verify the driver version of each display adapter individually; it should be the same.

A clean install of gpu drivers for both cards usually solves any problems.

If not:

1. you could try a different amd catalyst driver package,

2. you can physically reseat and/or reposition both cards (swap the pcie slots) or one at the time to eliminate the possibility of hardware failure.

3. you could try to remove one of the two cards (power off first) from your mobo and install drivers for only the first card. Then, after rebooting and checking that all goes well, you physically attach (again after powering off pc) the second gpu card, boot to windows (the drivers for the card should install automatically) and, again, check if all is well (reboot if necessary).

The above steps can be applied in combination to each other for thorough testing.

Hope it helps.

-------------------------

gigabyte X58A-UD3R rev.2, core i7 975 3.9ghz (stock voltage), windows 8.1 64-bit, corsair 12gb DDR3 1600mhz 7-7-7-20 RAM, xfx HD 5970 + gigabyte HD 5970 (950mhz/ 1100mhz), coolermaster ultimate 900w PSU.
amd catalyst 14.11.2 beta

Edited: 06/03/2014 at 09:32 AM by backFireX64
 06/06/2014 09:10 PM

Author Icon
-rascal-
Farming Materials

As what backFireX64 stated, you may just need a quick re-install of the graphics drivers.

It is some-what normal if your secondary R9-270X is not showing much information in the senros tab.

The R9-270X (aka HD 7870) has a bult-in "Zero Core" feature so that when the system is idle or under light load, where both GPU's is not needed, the second card will essentially....go to stand-by / sleep. It will than kick back into high gear when you run a game, etc.

-------------------------

FX-8350 @ 4.8GHz // ASUS Crosshair V Formula 990FX // Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Dual-X HD 7970 // Thermaltake Frio w/ push-pull (using Antec Formula 7 Nano-Diamond + Cooler Master JetFlo fans) // 8GB (2 X 4GB) G.Skill RipJawsX 2133MHz  // Corsair TX850 850W // Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD (OS) // Kingston V200+ 120GB SSD // WD Caviar Black 1TB // Windows 7 Ult x64

Statistics
87668 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.