Topic Title: BSOD on resolution/screen mode change
Topic Summary: Occurs in some form in all drivers after 13.1 WHQL
Created On: 08/14/2014 10:40 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/14/2014 10:40 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Nospheratu
Peon

I've been looking for a solution to this problem for about a year now. I'm running two 7970M's in CrossFire and the only driver that doesn't give me a BSOD is the 13.1 WHQL's. It only happens when CrossFire is enabled.
I can use the later revision of the drivers without a BSOD if I avoid resolution change but sometimes a game changes modes on its own and it triggers the BSOD. It could also happen if the game crashes to the desktop or I Alt-Tab out of the game which makes me think that the mode change from 2D to 3D is also a trigger.
Two cases that are consistant are 3Dmark Firestrike and Sky Diver benches where the BSOD occurs after all bench runs complete before the results screen. The second is Watch_Dogs where the game immediately BSOD's after going to fullscreen after the startup splashcreen.
Again, this does not happen if CrossFire is disabled. Catalysts 13.1 WHQL is flawless and no matter how many times I change resolutions or Alt-Tab out of a fullscreen game I cannot get my machine to BSOD.
I have tried many solutions that people have had luck with and none of them work for me. These are...
- Disabling ULPS
- No OverDrive
- Extracting and replacing atikmdag/atikmpag dll's.
- Upgrading from a 240W PSU to a 330W (NB. These are mobile GPU's. The 330W PSU is able to deliver up to 480W before triggering shutdown)
- No overclocking (Cards are always at stock clocks anyway)
- Driver install only (No CCC or other components)
There might be a few that I'm forgetting but I'm open to any suggestions.
Your thoughts and ideas would be greatly appreciated as using 13.1 is not practical as the driver is very old and as a result contains no optimisations for newer games.
 08/15/2014 10:26 PM

Author Icon
THE_CROW
Peon

@Nospheratu

Whats your system specs ?

-------------------------

Only gamer since 1989...

08/16/2014 02:25 AM

Author Icon
Nospheratu
Peon

The machine is an Alienware M17X R2

CPU: Intel Core i7 920XM

RAM:: 2 x 4gb DDR3 1333Mhz SODIMM's

Mobo Chipset: PM55

GPU's: 2x CLEVO 7970M's in CrossFire

Another issue that I've just realised yesterday while changing through drivers is that the 13.1 Cats work properly with my laptops brightness control on Windows 8/8.1.

If I use any driver after 13.1 WHQL, 13.4 WHQL for example, I have to edit the registry value of "KMD_EnableBrightnessInterface2" from 1 to 0 to get it to work.

The BSOD issue on change resolution is present on Windows 7 SP1 as well as I dual booted the OS's to troubleshoot.

Statistics
88932 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.