Topic Title: Crossfire R9 290s BF4 FPS drop after 15 minutes with no overheating
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/29/2014 01:46 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/29/2014 01:46 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
coho333
Peon

Specs: i7 4790k @ Stock clock with corsair h105 | 16GB DDR3 2133Mhz Ram | Gigabyte z97x SOC Force | 2 Vapor-X R9 290s | EVGA Supernova 1300w | Cooler Master HAF XM | Windows 8.1 |

As the title says I have massive FPS dropps on BF4 after about 20 minutes. However it is only in BF4. I have a 144hz monitor and my frames go from being capped there to around 90, to 80, to 60, to 30, and so forth until it is unplayable. I monitor all my temperatures and nothing is getting too high. Both GPUs stay below 80 and my CPU stays below 75. I have done everything I can try for crossfire and some other things as well (disabling ULPS, switching slots, trying one card at a time, changing graphic settings [it happens on all settings from low to ultra] disabling power saving options such as C1E and control panel settings). Nothing is seeming to work for me.
I then noticed the other day my graphs in BF4.

This is normal game-play, with V-Sync enabled frames still go up to 155 occasionally but there it is. 
http://i.imgur.com/hmfmb8B.jpg

This is soon after it begins. Pay attention to the graph and the major difference. 
http://i.imgur.com/J4BOMG8.jpg

I am not entirely sure what this means or how to fix these FPS drops but any and all help is appreciated.

08/29/2014 08:28 PM

Author Icon
Thanny
Alpha Geek

The R9 290 series cools different than earlier cards.  You pick a target temperature and a maximum fan speed.  The card then lets the GPU reach that temperature, running the fan only as fast as needed to keep it there.  If it can't do that with the maximum configured fan speed, then it downclocks the GPU to keep the temperature at the target.

Since you didn't specify your settings for any of this, I can only surmise that you have your target temperature and/or max fan speed too low, which is causing the GPU to throttle.

08/30/2014 03:45 AM

Author Icon
coho333
Peon

There is no heating issue. I set the max temp to 95 and made a custom fan curve. It never exceeds 80 degrees. The graphs I posted are related to the issue I just don't know what they mean or how to fix it.

Statistics
86440 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.