Topic Title: R9 270 (MSI GAMING 2G) cannot enable Crossfire
Topic Summary: bridge not recognized as being attached properly
Created On: 08/30/2014 01:47 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/30/2014 01:47 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
mxlan
Peon

Hi, I have two R9 270s from MSI and I was/am attempting to crossfire these cards (identical make and model).

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1

From the get-go I have had the "... CrossFireX internal bridge interconnects linking your graphics cards together are not properly attached... " message in CCC in the AMD CrossfireX option. As such the options to enable Crossfire are greyed out. Both cards are recognized in device manager, CPU-Z and GPU-Z. Both cards have the same VBIOs. Both PCIe x16 slots are 2.0 slots. (GPU-Z shows both as 1.1 sometimes and it shows 2.0 on the main card slot when running their render test)

What I have done to troubleshoot the issue so far:

- Verified both cards work individually under load.

- Verified both PCIx16 slots are functional on the motherboard. *Note GIGABYTE 990FXA-UD3 has only two PCIe x16 slots. These are the slots to be used for crossfire / sli (verified with technician and instruction manual). Could not locate any BIOs options to modify PCIe bandwidth. GIGABYTE tells me their's no need to fiddle with BIOs for crossfire on this board, it doesn't have those extras.

- Installed each card individually in different orders.

- Installed both cards at the same time.

- Reinstalled Windows 7

- Used "MSI" Drivers from CD and from website (13.101)

- Used AMD Drivers from website (14.1 & 14.4 recent update as well as 14.7 beta)

** Reinstallation of drivers (along with CCC) happened many times, with and without a clean wipe of drivers. Most recent attempt, tried 14.4 from AMD website after express uninstall, and Safe Mode + Driver Fusion wipe of AMD graphics drivers (warning during installation; installation completed, no information on warning).

- Used several bridges, 4 of the 6 I've purchased + 1 used by Microcenter BYO PC technician from a boxed MSI R9 280x (they will apparently contact me if they find a solution... and are equally confused).

- Contacted GIGABYTE to inquire about the board's crossfire capabilities, they replied with a screenshot of one of their systems crossfired with two of their branded R9 270's with relatively similar hardware. So motherboard should be capable of crossfire.

- Contacted MSI, they tell me to test the cards on another system. I just need to find another system in that case.

- My last two options are attempting to find some assitance here, hopefully, And exchange my card at Microcenter for a GIGABYTE card. Then to treat that card as the main with the MSI as the secondary. Maybe GIGABYTE will have magical compatabilities with the mobo and the card?

So, what steps, other than flashing the vBIOs, am I missing or should I do again just to be sure? Seriously though I'm not going to reinstall Windows a third time.

Thank you in advance for your replies if I don't see them / reply to them in a reasonable amount of time.

-------------------------
CPU  FX-8350 
MB GIGABYTE 990FXA-UD3 rev. 4.0
RAM 2x4GB Team Group Vulcan 240-pin DDR3 1600 (PC2 12800)
SSD 120GB PNY XLR8
HDD 1TB TOSHIBA DT01ACA100
PSU 650w Rosewill CAPSTONE 80 Plus Gold Certified
VGA1 MSI GAMING 2G R9 270
VGA2 MSI GAMING 2G R9 270
Statistics
88734 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.