Topic Title: R9 290 Crossfire/vsync audio popping
Topic Summary: Audio pops and crackles whenever Crossfire is enabled and vsync is on
Created On: 09/01/2014 01:45 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/01/2014 01:45 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Freshdaemon
Peon

I know this issue was supposed to have been fixed in March, but it wasn't. I am getting this issue with my two brand-new R9 290s in Crossfire.

I've tried driver versions 14.4, 14.7 RC3, and 13.11 Beta 9.2 (which I read would solve the issue - it didn't). I've also disabled ULPS, which did nothing. 

DPC Latency Checker shows that latency goes up to about 15000µs or more as soon as vsync is turned on.

Are there any other fixes for this issue? I have put in an RMA request with the vendor, because if this can't be resolved, I intend to return these cards and go back to nVidia.

This isn't even touching the repeated driver-originated BSODs on Windows desktop...

System specs:

Windows Windows 7 Professional Edition (64-bit) Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)

Internet Explorer 9.11.9600.17239

Memory (RAM) 32736 MB

CPU Info Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz

CPU Speed 3294.1 MHz

Sound Card SPDIF Interface (2- FiiO USB DA | 

Digital Audio (S/PDIF) (High De | 

Speakers (2- C-Media USB Headph | 

Digital Audio (S/PDIF) (High De | 

Display Adapters AMD Radeon R9 200 Series | AMD Radeon R9 200 Series | AMD Radeon R9 200 Series | AMD Radeon R9 200 Series | AMD Radeon R9 200 Series | AMD Radeon R9 200 Series | RDPDD Chained DD | RDP Encoder Mirror Driver | RDP Reflector Display Driver

Monitors 2x; Generic PnP Monitor | Generic PnP Monitor | 

Screen Resolution 2560 X 1440 - 32 bit

Network Network Present

Network Adapters Intel(R) 82579V Gigabit Network Connection

CD / DVD Drives 1x (F: | ) F: Optiarc DVD RW AD-7280S

Ports COM Ports NOT Present. LPT Port NOT Present. 

Mouse 16 Button Wheel Mouse Present

Hard Disks C:  238.4GB | D:  931.5GB | E:  1862.9GB

Hard Disks - Free C:  97.2GB | D:  644.0GB | E:  774.6GB

USB Controllers 2 host controllers.

Firewire (1394) Not Detected

Manufacturer * American Megatrends Inc.

Product Make * System Product Name

AC Power Status OnLine

BIOS Info AT/AT COMPATIBLE | 11/09/12 | ALASKA - 1072009

Time Zone Eastern Standard Time

Battery Status No Battery

Motherboard * ASUSTeK Computer INC. P8Z68-V PRO

09/02/2014 12:17 AM

Author Icon
Thanny
Alpha Geek

Check LatencyMon to see if you can identify what driver (if any) is causing the high latency.

I recently had very high latency which ended up being a failing hard drive.

09/02/2014 07:34 AM

Author Icon
Freshdaemon
Peon

Done - the responsible driver is dxgkrnl.sys (DirectX), and it goes through the roof once vsync is enabled with Crossfire on.

Nothing else goes above 85µs except that.

09/02/2014 09:05 PM

Author Icon
Thanny
Alpha Geek

Are you current with Windows Update?

Have you don't a complete removal of AMD drivers before re-installing?

If you can't make any headway, then you'll want to report the problem to AMD, as it seems they may not have fixed the problem completely after all.

09/02/2014 09:14 PM

Author Icon
Freshdaemon
Peon

Yup, fully up-to-date. It's a fresh Win 7 install and fully updated.

Drivers were completely removed with Guru3D DDU before trying different versions. 

I've sent AMD support an email. In the meantime, the vendor approved an RMA, so unless they have a solution in the next few days or so I am going to return them.

09/03/2014 02:16 PM

Author Icon
dcsastry
Peon

I had these audio problems as well.  I have 4 R9 290x cards in crossfire mode.

Once I disabled ULPS, all these problems went away.

You can do this in the registry, or use an online utility.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/316913-ulps-ultra-low-power-state-disable-amd-crossfirex.html

http://www.ulpsconfigurationutility.com/

-------------------------

- Dave

09/03/2014 05:11 PM

Author Icon
Freshdaemon
Peon

Thanks for the suggestion. Disabling ULPS was one of the solutions I read when I was googling and trying to solve this on my own; I've disabled ULPS with driver versions 14.4, 14.7RC3 and 13.11 Beta 9.2. It didn't make a difference on any of them.

AMD support asked me to report it to the driver team, which I did. However, I don't think there's going to be a solution from them before my RMA period expires.

10/30/2014 09:45 PM

Author Icon
Cyberlocc
Peon

Originally posted by: Freshdaemon Thanks for the suggestion. Disabling ULPS was one of the solutions I read when I was googling and trying to solve this on my own; I've disabled ULPS with driver versions 14.4, 14.7RC3 and 13.11 Beta 9.2. It didn't make a difference on any of them.

AMD support asked me to report it to the driver team, which I did. However, I don't think there's going to be a solution from them before my RMA period expires.

Dude I seriously just registered just to reply to this. I am having the smae exact issue and its driving me up the wall im seriously about to just sell the cards. 

I wrote AMD 2 weeks ago and have heard nothing back. I have searched scraped asked installed drivers OS'es I have done every possible thing you could do and still its there buzzing in my darn ear.

Have you got your rma back did it help? 

10/31/2014 10:28 PM

Author Icon
Freshdaemon
Peon

No, it was never resolved. I never heard a word from the driver team. I get the impression that AMD considers the problem resolved and refuses to acknowledge that it's still an issue.

I returned the cards for a full refund (thanks, NCIX!) and went back to nVidia again.

11/08/2014 10:20 PM

Author Icon
Kaboodles
Peon

Replying to this because I am basically having the exact problem.  I have to choose between crossfire an VSync or else I get audio problems.

11/09/2014 09:35 AM

Author Icon
Devrij
Peon

I also have this issue and it's driving me nuts. Disabled ULPS, tried all the other remedies etc. Clean install of w8.1 and I still have this problem. Big DPC spikes and audio popping and stutter with vsync enabled. I hate tearing, and I hate having a big expensive chunk of useless silicon in my case taking up space.

Any advice or info on when this issue will be properly fixed would be greatly appreciated.

11/12/2014 06:57 AM

Author Icon
Stefan79
Peon

Hey guys,

i have the same problems.

I use 2x290x and when crossfire and vsync is activated I get terrible audio problems.

I checked the drivers they are up to date. This problem is very annoying and it looks like it is known since a long time...

11/12/2014 12:26 PM

Author Icon
Devrij
Peon

Hi guys, I have been following this up with one of the AMD reps and he suggested I used the 13.11 beta v8 driver. It has fixed the issue for quite a few (but not all) games, so give that a go and see how you get on. He also suggested that using displayport may be a factor and suggested I try hdmi/dvi, so if you guys are using DP try a different connector and see how that goes (and report back for posterity). Hope that helps.

11/13/2014 12:39 PM

Author Icon
Cyberlocc
Peon

Originally posted by: Devrij Hi guys, I have been following this up with one of the AMD reps and he suggested I used the 13.11 beta v8 driver. It has fixed the issue for quite a few (but not all) games, so give that a go and see how you get on. He also suggested that using displayport may be a factor and suggested I try hdmi/dvi, so if you guys are using DP try a different connector and see how that goes (and report back for posterity). Hope that helps.

Hey I have been following that over on overclockers I dont have an account I tried to make one but was denied I dont know why but whatever. Anyway he seems to be giving the run around to me he was approached about the issue in your thread and on the drivers thread multiple times and every time he acts like its the first he has heard of it.

Just an update on my side AMD support has told me theres nothing they can do report it to the drivers team who of course says nothing. This is really riduclus as my first amd gpus im far from impressed.

I will try 13.11 did you move to future drivers after or stay on 13.11 thats pretty far back is why I ask and solving that issue will lose fixes for alot more.

Anyway thanks for keeping us posted Dev and stay on that rep this needs to get fixed.

11/13/2014 12:47 PM

Author Icon
Devrij
Peon

Specifically 13.11 beta v8 is the one that has helped. I've linked it below for convenience.

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads...beta-8/mirrors

I have tried 14.4 and 14.9 and 14.9.2, none of which helped. That particular driver above was suggested by the rep and has been the best for me so far.

I tested with HDMI and that hasn't changed anything with the DPC spikes, so that was a red herring. I'll let you guys know if I ever get to the bottom of this. I'd like a current driver that works with xfire in games like shadows of mordor AND that doesn't have horrendous DPC issues too. Just report report report with as detailed info as you can provide. Be the squeaky gate.

11/14/2014 09:48 AM

Author Icon
Cyberlocc
Peon

Originally posted by: Devrij Specifically 13.11 beta v8 is the one that has helped. I've linked it below for convenience.

I have tried 14.4 and 14.9 and 14.9.2, none of which helped. That particular driver above was suggested by the rep and has been the best for me so far.

I tested with HDMI and that hasn't changed anything with the DPC spikes, so that was a red herring. I'll let you guys know if I ever get to the bottom of this. I'd like a current driver that works with xfire in games like shadows of mordor AND that doesn't have horrendous DPC issues too. Just report report report with as detailed info as you can provide. Be the squeaky gate.

Hey I have something else I have learned that I want to ask you guys and have you pass on to AMD MATT.

Last night I found somehting I had read people say that unhooking there second screen that was hdmi fixed it. For me it didnt but I have 4 screens then I discovered they only had 2 screens so I thought lets try that and boom. 

If you have more than 1 monitor connected and there not in eyefinity then you have the audio issues at least for me and the 3 people I have had test my theory. 2 of those 3 never had audio issues before as they only used 1 monitor they hooked up there tv as a second and got audio issues. 

So do you guys have multiple monitors unhook all but 1 and report back as this seems another variable. For me and them it doesnt seem to matter what ports are used just have more than 1 screen.

Also enabling eyefinity on the 3 with the 4 dced also didnt have audio issues I didnt try with the 4 activated I will tonight.

also 13.11 didnt work for me.

11/14/2014 09:59 AM

Author Icon
Devrij
Peon

Originally posted by: Cyberlocc
Originally posted by: Devrij Specifically 13.11 beta v8 is the one that has helped. I've linked it below for convenience.

Hey I have something else I have learned that I want to ask you guys and have you pass on to AMD MATT.

Last night I found somehting I had read people say that unhooking there second screen that was hdmi fixed it. For me it didnt but I have 4 screens then I discovered they only had 2 screens so I thought lets try that and boom. 

If you have more than 1 monitor connected and there not in eyefinity then you have the audio issues at least for me and the 3 people I have had test my theory. 2 of those 3 never had audio issues before as they only used 1 monitor they hooked up there tv as a second and got audio issues. 

So do you guys have multiple monitors unhook all but 1 and report back as this seems another variable. For me and them it doesnt seem to matter what ports are used just have more than 1 screen.

Also enabling eyefinity on the 3 with the 4 dced also didnt have audio issues I didnt try with the 4 activated I will tonight.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll try that now and will report back.

EDIT: I tried disconnecting my secondary HDMI monitor, and bam. 16k DPC latency spikes are gone. Highest DPC routine was 162us. Well found good sir. I'll be reporting this to AMDMatt and see if we can get this sorted for a future driver release.

Edited: 11/14/2014 at 10:13 AM by Devrij
 11/14/2014 10:40 AM

Author Icon
Cyberlocc
Peon

Originally posted by: Devrij
Originally posted by: Cyberlocc

Thanks for the heads up. I'll try that now and will report back.

EDIT: I tried disconnecting my secondary HDMI monitor, and bam. 16k DPC latency spikes are gone. Highest DPC routine was 162us. Well found good sir. I'll be reporting this to AMDMatt and see if we can get this sorted for a future driver release.

Yep glad it worked for ya. Its not the best fix to disable them but hey its better than the other options

11/25/2014 10:10 PM

Author Icon
tsume
Peon

Just want to say I am having the same problem.  2x 290x in crossfire, 2 HDMI monitors, Realtek audio.  Horrible audio popping/stuttering with both monitors connected and VSYNC enabled in a game.  If I remove one monitor, I don't notice an issue.  If I disable VSYNC, I don't notice an issue.  Using cat 14.11.2 clean install

Hopefully this is resolved soon as I use my 2nd monitor (which is a TV) to watch south park while playing games.

11/28/2014 04:59 PM

Author Icon
Devrij
Peon

Just an update: this is still being investigated by the driver team, so no fix to come any time soon. I've noticed that disabling vsync doesn't work as well as disabling my secondary monitor. Starting playing DA:I today with the 2nd screen disabled and it was buttery smooth. I really hope they fix this so all my games can be like that without disabling screens.

Statistics
88806 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.