Topic Title: 3D with AMD Graphics...
Topic Summary: Can't find updated list of supported monitors for 3D.
Created On: 03/18/2013 03:14 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/18/2013 03:14 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
cuzimsochill
Peon

Hey, everybody!

Sorry if this question has been answered, but I tried to find info and came up empty handed. I really want to try out the 3D experience with my PC, and I know that my 6850's can handle it; but I can't figure out where to find a compatible 3D monitor.

The monitors listed on AMD's page are all fairly old now, and why pay more for crap when you can get something nicer/newer/cheaper? After all, the only requirements listed on the page are that it be a 3D monitor and capable of HDMI 1.4a. It seems to me this sums up any new 3D monitor.

My question is this. Is the list not updated because almost any new 3D monitor falls into this category, or is it so short because AMD 3D is just not as widely supported as nVidia's?

Sorry to post such a seemingly simple question, but I really can't find information anywhere.

-------------------------
Sorry, but your password must contain an uppercase letter, a number, a haiku, a gang sign, a heiroglyph and the blood of a virgin.
 03/18/2013 10:10 AM

Author Icon
edmslave
Peon

i actually researched this for some time before making the plunge.  my buddy had nvidia, but i've always been happy w/my amd/ati setups.  i'm glad that i looked into all the details first.  there's a lot less monitors that are specific to amd3d (they use what's called tridef).  i also looked at that list of monitors amd had & out of those i thought samsung would be the best choice.  i ended up getting a syncmaster sa950.  it was surprisingly tough to find a true 120hz for amd, and this was one of the ones that did.  however, one thing that i got lucky on was discovering that for 2d 120hz, you need to use a displayport connection (at least w/this particular monitor).  i actually got back into gaming because of the new setup.  here's the list of supported amd3d tridef games:  http://www.tridef.com/user-guide/supported-games  

one other note, and i took this from lots of recommendations on newegg.  typically the glasses that come w/the monitor tend to have a little ghosting.  i just went to best buy & grabbed the best 3d glasses that samsung had to match, and there was a substantial difference in depth & detail.  hope this helps.  my first post as well, so sorry for rambling on

03/18/2013 11:07 AM

Author Icon
cuzimsochill
Peon

I really appreciate your response, but it doesn't answer my question lol. Tri-def is the 3D software, and works with a great deal of 3D monitors. The syncmaster you mentioned is not available new anymore, as it's older than the crust on my great-grandfather's underwear, and is an exerpt from the very brief list that I mentioned earlier.

So is that list all we have to choose from, or can I use any 3D monitor that supports tri-def?

Sorry, but your password must contain an uppercase letter, a number, a haiku, a gang sign, a heiroglyph and the blood of a virgin.
 03/18/2013 09:34 PM

Author Icon
edmslave
Peon

really you can use any 3d monitor in general, it's just that if it's not official tridef certified you're not going to be able to see certain modes (for instance frame sequential).  i believe it's limited to side-by-side, left-right & top-bottom.  i haven't seen the difference to compare, but lots of nvidia people weren't happy w/the way things looked w/their cards on those particular monitors.  i didn't realize the sammy was so old, the design of it looked new to me (i guess i need to keep up more, i'm usually all about the latest & greatest lol).  which monitor were you considering?

03/19/2013 01:20 AM

Author Icon
cuzimsochill
Peon

I haven't really narrowed it down, because I don't know what options I have. I literally searched newegg for each monitor on AMD's published list, and there is literally only one that's still available new, and it only supports the line interleave format, which I'm just not interested in.

I was hoping someone had some information on specs that supported monitors should have, rather than playing a few rounds of "what about this monitor?" until I find one that works.

Is anyone with AMD listening? I mean, if there's something obvious that I'm missing, then silly me; but it doesn't seem like you've published much on the matter. If the list is what it is, and you're not supporting new technology for fiscal reasons, that's fine, just please tell somebody so we don't end up scratching our heads saying, "is this really all the information we get?"

03/19/2013 01:36 AM

Author Icon
edmslave
Peon

sorry, i couldn't be more helpful.  you may have more like at the tridef forums here:  http://www.tridef.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=8&sid=3e33833a737b59c9b98969e180b70842

and i agree, a lot of documentation on amd's website is out of date & difficult to make a determination on sometimes.

03/19/2013 10:33 AM

Author Icon
Titcoda
Peon

If you plan to ever try Eyefinity in 3d then I would suggest looking at monitors with native display port inputs so you will have less upgrade expense later. It goes without saying that you will need a monitor that has a built in emitter but be careful to look closely at the ones that are 3d Ready for Nvidia cards, see pasted email from Tridef.

Most if not all NVIDIA displays will not work properly/at all with the TriDef software because of technical things NVIDIA has done. These are more than likely more trouble than they are worth.

Statistics
87577 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.