Topic Title: Advice on running the R9 290 with a BenQ XL2420T for 3D Gaming
Topic Summary: Am I able to run 3D games using the R9 290 graphics card with a BenQ XL2420T?
Created On: 01/23/2014 07:37 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/23/2014 07:37 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Boglin22
Peon

Hi Guys, As it says on the tin really. I am, suppose, a newbie to PC gaming. Last time I played on a PC was back in 95. 

With the xbox one sounding awful I bought a decent PC for gaming, picked up a BenQ XL2420T (which has Nvidia written all over it!) and the R9 290 graphics card.

My question is - am I able to play 3D games on the monitor with the graphics card I have? Or do I need to swap it out for a Nvidia card?

If it will work does anybody currently run this setup? What other kit woudl I need? 3D glasses etc?

Many thanks for your help. Apologies for the newbie questions. At 30 years old you'd think I'd have a clue! 

Thanks

03/09/2014 07:11 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
natostanco
Peon

With a pair of passive 3d glasses you can play games which supports passive 3d.

If you want active 3d with your current setup you need a kit which has a IR emitter that bridges between your monitor and your pc, and you need to have a pair of universal active 3d glasses(shutter), and have to buy the software tridef that has the drivers to run the card in 3d and the configurations for the games, when you have all this, 3d gaming might still not work depending game to game, and 3d gaming is something that varies game to game. There are good implementations of 3d and bad ones, mostly bad ones, just like films where there is avatar, and then there is the rest.

It can be easier switching monitor with one that supports hd3d but good luck finding one, amd does not support hd3d that much and the market of hd3d enabled monitors is nearly dead.

Or you can switch card to nvidia and buy the nvidia glasses coupled with their ir emitter, all will be easier and compatibility broader thanks to community support helix, quality of games in 3d might not differ that much tough.

Imho just get passive 3d glasses and enjoy a few films, if you want 3d wait for oculus rift (or get the dev kit) and possible competition, active 3d has never been succesful, probably with shutter with monitors at 240hz might become decent.

My2cents

Statistics
84138 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.