Topic Title: [AMD A8-3850 APU] Do I need to purchase/apply Thermal Paste?
Topic Summary: New-Build NÔÔB help! Can't find the "Thermal Cooling Guideline" referred to in instructions
Created On: 02/05/2013 03:22 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/05/2013 03:22 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
semicodin
Peon

Hey, this is my first processor install, and I'm being extremely careful about following instructions explicitly.  The datasheet that came bundled with my AMD APU box states:

"Thermal Interface Material is required for all AMD processors.  Use only the recommended thermal interface material for this processor (see Thermal Cooling Guideline on AMD's website for a complete list of approved material for the specific processor you are using)."

I can't find the Thermal Guideline for my 3.9GHz AMD A8-3850 APU anywhere, and I only want to use what AMD specifically recommends.  Can anyone help me find the PDF and/or link?  Thanks.

semicodin

-------------------------

————————————————————
2.9GHz AMD A8-3850 QUAD-CORE APU
ASROCK A75 EXTREME 6 MOTHERBOARD:
— ONBOARD RADEON HD 65XX/64XX GRAPHICS
— AMD A75 FCH (Hudson-D3)
— (FOUR × 2GB =) 8GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR3 DIMMS

02/05/2013 04:03 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

See that grey stuff on the bottom of the bundled heatsink with the APU? That's the TIM.

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 02/05/2013 04:27 PM

Author Icon
semicodin
Peon

Thank you black_zion, but I am afraid to void my warranty.  I need to locate the official AMD PDF/FAQ/Other files that state explicitly what thermal interface materials are compatible with the A8-3850 AP.  This is my first processor install and I get very nervous when I am instructed to refer to a "Thermal Cooling Guideline" that exists nowhere that I can see on the AMD website.  I'm trying to avoid having to call AMD and was hoping for a >link.

seminervous

————————————————————

02/05/2013 04:55 PM

Author Icon
Canis-X
Forum Moderator

Alright calm down.  You are making a mountain out of a mole hill here.  You bought a boxed processor from a retailer....the "boxed" processor includes the the processor, the processor heat sink, and the documentation about it. 

The processor heatsink comes with the thermal grease alread applied to the bottom of the heatsink.  Just remove the plastic tray off of the heatsink before you attach it to the motherboard.....you don't need a pdf or any other document from anyone since everything arrived to your hands the exact way that AMD shipped it out (this is not brain surgery nor is it rocket science  ).  Now, relax, get that computer built and  more importantly......have fun with it! 

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
Requiescat In Pace AMD Processor Forums | Member since: 1/19/2009 | Post count:
Please don't PM me with questions, instead create a thread so that everyone can assist and benefit from the knowledge provided. Thanks in advance!

02/07/2013 12:33 PM

Author Icon
semicodin
Peon

Ha ha!  Thanks Canis.  I just in-n-ns-t-ttalled it.  I realize you guys are all pros here but we all have to start some time! lol  I actually did call AMD (related to my other monitor rotation thread) and . . . Honestly, I've never experienced such friendly customer service!  I've been on an old (now don't laugh) PIII, and I remember years ago when I had to call Intel for some obscure reason I vaguely recall relating to CMOS and met with the most condescending attitude.  He couldn't wait to hang up on me.

This is my first AMD processor, and I feel well and truly welcome as one of your newest members of the AMD family.  Like your wonderful CS rep said, "There are no dumb questions," and he encouraged me to call AMD if I have any questions about anything.  Thank you Canis.  Oh my God . . . I'm heading for the 21st Century at last!  What a thrill!

Cheers friends.  Wish me luck.

semicodin

————————————————————

Statistics
84725 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.