Topic Title: a10-5800k bsod 124
Topic Summary: System ran like a charm until I installed and played Dishonored game, after that frequent BSOD 124 even in safe mode
Created On: 07/12/2013 04:40 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/12/2013 04:40 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
franslaarmans
Peon

Hi there,

Last week I ran into some trouble with my A10-5800k based system. For a week I tried everything I could think of and nearly everything I could find on various forums, but to no avail. I am hoping someone here can help me. The problem is this:

My system (specs below) has been running perfectly since I got it two months ago. Last week, I bought the game Dishonored and installed it, together with the required Steam client software. When first playing the game, I experienced no problems, but I did notice my fans running at an extremely high speed (very noisy). I continued using the system without problems (did not change anything else). The next day, the second time I played, again high fan speeds but otherwise no problems. But, when I quit the game,  I got my first BSOD 0x124. After restarting my computer, it ran without trouble for some time, then again bsod 0x124 at some seemingly random time. Since then the bsod's happen every time I start up the system, e.g. when I open Chrome just after starting. Even in safe mode this happens. It also happens when I try to play a movie or something similar. At some point the system would even keep restarting without even entering safe mode, but that is no longer the case, for some reason.

To solve this problem, I tried running memtest86+ for a few hours: nothing there. I ran chkdsk etc.: nothing there. I did some system restores: didn't help. Tried removing all drivers and reinstalling: didn't help. I reseated my APU cooler with new cooling paste: didn't help. Flashed the MB: didn't help. 

At first I though it might be directx related, as the steam installation also installed some directx component, and the bsod's also consistently occur when I start some video. However, updating directx or doing system restores did not help.

I did not do a full reinstall of windows because I'm afraid this is a hardware problem.

Does this problem sound familiar to anyone? I've seen a number of similar reports on forums, but none of the approaches offered there helped.

Could the game somehow have caused hardware damage? I keep reading that 124 indicates hardware problems.

Or should I simply try reinstalling windows? I figured that couldn't be the cause because I even get BSOD in safe mode and sometimes directly after the bios-splash-screen, but I really don't know much about this kind of thing...

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Frans

Edit:

Just tried to do a clean install of windows 7 by booting from usb: again BSOD while loading setup files.

Edit 2:

I forgot to mention I'm using the stock cooler. Temperatures while idling in UEFI (bios) range from 40 to 55 degrees C, but this was also the case before my problems started. HWmonitor shows package temperatures spiking up to 85 degrees, but I've heard many people say these readings are not to be trusted.

------------------------------

System specs:

Processor: AMD A10-5800K

Motherboard: Asrock FM2A75 Pro4-M (using default BIOS/UEFI settings)

Graphics: - (onboard)

Memory: Kingston HyperX 4GB

HDD: Seagate barracuda 1TB

PSU: bequiet! system power 7 300W 

Edited: 07/15/2013 at 06:01 AM by franslaarmans
 07/24/2013 02:28 PM

Author Icon
mr.generic.user
Peon

First, remove ALL overclock you might have.  A search revealed that this is common when overclocking and getting an undervoltage somewhere.

Second, turn cool and quiet off.  make all the fans run at full bore.  It might be loud, but taking possibly slow cooling reaction time out of the equation can sometimes be the answer.  If it is, try another heatsink/fan assembly or a sealed unit water cooler.

Third, try only one stick of ram at a time to see if the issue follows a stick, or only happens when multiple sticks are used at the same time.  I have seen two good matched sticks cause issues when paired on some chipsets.  Beg or borrow some ram from somewhere and try it to see if your ram just doesn't play well with your chipset after you got it good and warm.

Fourth, I would try a different power supply.  I am not pushing this brand, but I have found that Antec makes good stable inexpensive power supplies.  I have used their TruePower, EarthWatts, and Basiq lines in the 430W-700W with great success.  I would say that you are using between 175-200W bare minimum at all times on this system.  It could be that your current power supply cannot provide enough current (amps) on some of your voltages (3.3v, 5v, 12v) and something is not always getting the power it needs.

If you are unsure how to do these or do not have access to the extra hardware, take it to a local shop and they should be able to do it in an hour or two of labor.  If you get more information from testing and want to share, I will be happy to offer any other options I can think of.

-------------------------

From a Tandy w/AMD 286/12mhz and 1MB ram to FX-8350 w/32GB ram.  I don't know everything by far, but I have probably forgot things you never knew.  Always happy to help, happy to be wrong, and happy to learn.

07/24/2013 04:11 PM

Author Icon
franslaarmans
Peon

Thank you for your help mr.generic.user!

I don't do any overclocking at all, never did, and my bios is currently at default settings. Cool n quiet is turned off, fans are all at maximum, case is open, but the problem persists.

The memory option is one that I did not try yet, so I will try that first. 

The power supply does indeed sound like a probable suspect. Could it be that something in there fried when I started playing the Dishonored game? I did not have these problems before installing Steam and playing Dishonored.

I will keep you posted.

07/24/2013 05:27 PM

Author Icon
mr.generic.user
Peon

It could happen.  Keep in mind this is still speculation until you have tested everything.

Basically if the PS was rated for a lower current (amps) than what the system is drawing on just one of the voltage rails, it could have damaged but not destroyed the rail.  I would suspect (maybe, possibly) that playing the game and using the GPU portion of the APU far more intensly than what you had before could have pushed one of the rails harder than a normal CPU would have.

Power supplies usually have ratings for each of the voltage rails on the side; 3.3v, 5v, and usually now a couple of 12v rails.  You may have overdrawn on say the 3.3v or 5v rail and caused some damage when you had finally pushed APU (cpu and gpu together) as hard as the game does.  If it only partially burned a trace or circuit in the power supply, everything would still get power, but the damaged area would actually have higher than normal resistance and would give even less energy than before.  If it was only giving barely enough at idle to begin with, it would now be giving less than required more frequently or all the time.

With that low power of a power supply, the manufacturer might not have anticipated the draw being that much.  I (personal preference) would not run anything hotter than a 65W processor on a 300W power supply in a consumer desktop computer.  I usually just stick with a 500W or higher power supply of a known good brand unless I am doing something very specific...

From a Tandy w/AMD 286/12mhz and 1MB ram to FX-8350 w/32GB ram.  I don't know everything by far, but I have probably forgot things you never knew.  Always happy to help, happy to be wrong, and happy to learn.

07/26/2013 03:45 PM

Author Icon
franslaarmans
Peon

Thank you for the clear explanation. That sounds plausible.

I tried running with individual sticks of ram, also tried a different set. Each time the system automatically restarted before windows was even loaded. 

I guess I will have to see if I can borrow a different power supply from someone...

07/27/2013 01:56 PM

Author Icon
franslaarmans
Peon

Just borrowed and installed a brand new Corsair CX430 psu.

Unfortunately, I still encounter the same problem: The system restarts, seemingly at random points in time. Sometimes before windows is loaded, sometimes just after.

I think I have very few options left: motherboard or processor. Unless it could still be my harddisk? The hdd did not show any problems during multiple runs with chkdsk, but the last time I tried chkdsk the system also restarted...

I am at a complete loss. Do you have any ideas or suggestions? Should I just by a new motherboard...?

07/29/2013 11:09 AM

Author Icon
mr.generic.user
Peon

If you have a local computer shop that sells the same processor and/or motherboard, I would take it there and have them test it.  I used to work for the local shop here and we had a policy about testing.  If a defective part was found, and you purchased the replacement from the shop, they would waive the testing fee.  Otherwise the testing fee was ten to fifteen dollars.  You would want to ask first, but there may be a similar rule in a shop near you.  While I know that you would prefer to do it yourself, the shop can test it without you having to buy the part first, right or wrong.  At this point I would have to say it is likely the motherboard or processor.  Once fixed, I would definately test them against the 430w power supply.  If the problem doesn't recurr, I would still guess the power supplymay have been a little small.  Also, make sure you have good airflow in the case.  At least in intake fan for the case, and one exhaust fan (the power supply fand doesn't count.)

07/29/2013 02:52 PM

Author Icon
franslaarmans
Peon

That sounds like good advice. Time to let the professionals take a look.

I will let you know the outcome, although it may take a few weeks due to holidays coming up...

For now, thank you again, mr.generic.user, for your kind help. It is greatly appreciated.

08/29/2013 01:57 PM

Author Icon
franslaarmans
Peon

So, I had my local shop investigate the matter, and, unfortunately, the processor turned out to be the culprit. I am now using a new processor, and the system works without a glitch, also when playing the game that started it all.

Thanks again for your help!

Statistics
84256 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 6 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.