Topic Title: I think I made a mistake.
Topic Summary: Bought a Richland to power an XP box.
Created On: 08/25/2013 10:55 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/25/2013 10:55 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
zerth222
Peon

Hello everyone,

I usually pride myself on doing my research before making a purchase.  However, this time I let myself down.  I was building a box that was intended to be a simple, low-power, capable XP machine, and I chose Richland to be my processor.  Now, I know it's a little strange to choose such a chip for the purpose of running older XP games, but I was looking for a minimalist build, and an APU solution seemed ideal (if I had some legacy parts lying around I would've used those, but this is a build from scratch).

What I've learned since I made the purchase, though, is that Richland is not supported in Windows XP.  The ATI drivers have gone through several beta phases over the past few months with no indications that an XP version will ever be released.  At this point, I'm wondering if I should just accept the loss and purchase a Trinity to replace the Richland.  Any thoughts?  Thanks for the input!

08/25/2013 11:10 PM

Author Icon
WMudrockJr
Overclocker

I run most of my older games as VM clients. I'm not sure how far back you will have to go in driver support for XP using a Trinity APU but 13.1 at least. Depending on how long you have had the Richland you might be able to exchange it.

It is a shame that XP end is coming soon. I have 6 XP VM clients for different setups. All running under Windows 8 Pro.

-------------------------

AMD A10-5800K, XFX 7850 Ultra OC Edition 975MHz, 16GB RAM, Win 8.1 Pro 64 bit, MSI 7778 motherboard, 500W PSU, HP P7-1235, CCC 13.12 WHQL

09/01/2013 10:03 AM

Author Icon
ALpha
Peon

"Been there, done that" as they say. On one of my systems I installed an A6 Richland in a system running XP and found that NONE of the AMD drivers would work well at all. I called the motherboard manufacturer and was told to forget AMD drivers and use the driver on the install disk that came with the motherboard. Problem solved - worked immediately...

Shame on AMD for not supplying "XP Drivers" as a large percentage of computer systems today continue to run XP.

09/05/2013 04:05 PM

Author Icon
Electronic_Pleasure
Peon

Never inderstood this love afair with XP.
Windows 7 Running A6,  2GG DDR 1600mhz, 60GB SSD (NAS for media). Will do just about anything an XP machine will do. Granted "some" older games wont work but i couldn't see any mention of games in OP's post.
Also my C50 2GB runs 8 fine but theres no Media Center in 8 unless it's bought.  

AMD A10 5800K
Biostar Hi-Fi A85S3
x2 4GB Ripjaw 1600's
OCz 240GB Vertex II SSD
X-Fi Titanium HD
AMD 7870 2GB

Acer W500 Windows8 Tablet AMD C50, 2GB, 32GB MicroSSD

AMD Phenom X2 Black Edition
4GB 1333mhz
500GB
Nforce 8200A AM3
 09/06/2013 02:58 PM

Author Icon
ALpha
Peon

I've been building computers for over 20 years. All my systems run a much modified version of XP, which is a far cry from the release that Microsoft made. You’re correct that Windows 7 is a workable system; but you obviously are unaware that Win7 is nothing more than XP with some improved graphical displays to “excite” the user – along with some code changes to 64 bit in some API’s to try to make the software more flexible. A very large percentage of Corporate American businesses have retained XP because they found there is no benefit to spend money for something that runs somewhat slower.

09/06/2013 05:46 PM

Author Icon
Electronic_Pleasure
Peon

Hi Alpha

No i am not unaware It's all built on NTFS base from windows NT. There is bearly any difference in code from 7 to 8, it mostly GUI upgrades.
But as stated iv'e never seen the need to retain old versions of OS's restricting evolution of kernel and File sytems in the case of keeping backward compatibility.
For thoes who read this and haven't seen pre-release (Beta) version. OSFirstTimer on youtube does a great job of showing the basics "http://youtu.be/iB7B_Lz4jzY" Actually for such a young dude he does a great job.
But anyway @Alpha i have been Running and building since 486days 386 & 8086 are a little before my time though.

EDIT: Even had a Sinclair Spectrum 128k  

AMD A10 5800K
Biostar Hi-Fi A85S3
x2 4GB Ripjaw 1600's
OCz 240GB Vertex II SSD
X-Fi Titanium HD
AMD 7870 2GB

4GB 1333mhz
500GB
Nforce 8200A AM3
 09/06/2013 06:42 PM

Author Icon
ALpha
Peon

My first system (hand wire wrapped) was based on an Intel 8008 chip - still have it on display. Dinosaur times....

Incidentally, the YouTube link merely describes differences in display characteristics, not the real performance of the software kernel - which is key. One area, of many, to explore if you are interested in substantially improving Windows is to look at the Services that Microsoft has turned on for you "benefit". Most are of little value to almost anyone, but they do hamper the performance substantially. The basic Kernel HAS TO be modified, then you'll have near Linux performance and dependability.

I’ve trialed every version of Windows (Beta's and all - including the Longhorn they refer to in the YouTube video link) and continue to be appalled  by the holes throughout Windows. Microsoft depends on their customers to troubleshoot and find SOME of the thousands of bugs. 

s....

Edited: 09/06/2013 at 06:59 PM by ALpha
 09/07/2013 06:21 PM

Author Icon
Electronic_Pleasure
Peon

Incidentally, the YouTube link merely describes differences in display characteristics, not the real performance of the software kernelLonghorn they refer to in the YouTube video link)

continue to be appalled by the holes throughout Windows. Microsoft depends on their customers to troubleshoot and find SOME of the thousands of bugs. 

Video was there for people who might read this and wonder what the beta's are like. Think the kid does a good job of that.

continue to be appalled...
Couldn't agree more. Gold should mean READY/ COMPLETE / FINISHED / Little Or NO BUGS. As for beta's keep em coming people are willing and eager to bug test, just to see whats coming before it actually comes
But as stated Gold release should mean completed and bug free. 
I never buy pre-built machines but if i work em first thing i do is a quick MsConfig because al;l that crap that boots slows systems down and the ment to "Help" why does adobe acrobat service need to start? i'll tell people why! Cause adobe likes to snoop and see what your doing and report back.
same goes for quicktime/itunes, Microsoft Office etc.. Wrapped in a "Having the service started will help and make it quicker". lol sponsor programs are a sore point as believe it should just an OS with Drivers and that every Program should be optional for the end user.
Service.msc is another matter all together

Ps. my space bar is wrecked pls excuse spelling and spacing issues.

AMD A10 5800K
Biostar Hi-Fi A85S3
x2 4GB Ripjaw 1600's
OCz 240GB Vertex II SSD
X-Fi Titanium HD
AMD 7870 2GB

4GB 1333mhz
500GB
Nforce 8200A AM3
Statistics
81011 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.