Topic Title: New APU Overheating
Topic Summary: AMD A8-5600K with Ati radeon HD 5700d
Created On: 08/29/2013 06:18 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/29/2013 06:18 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
TokeThatSmoke
Peon

I bought a new computer about a month or two ago. 

So my PC is: AMD A8-5600k with ATI HD-5700D APU. 

8GB DDR 3 RAM

Windows 7 32-bit (yes yes i know)

(It's all i actually know, since i haven't been provided with any other info on the computer.) Nevermind that, everything else works perfectly. 

Ok so when i play games or watch HD movies (which the graphics advertise so hard) the cpu overheats after 5 min.. And the computer just whimps out.. freezes and the scratchy hum comes out of headphones and all that. 

I tested with speedfan and results were 45°c idle and 60 (after 5min od load) and 80 (after 10 - 20min). now im wondering what can i do or is it best that computer be returned.. 

Also case cannot be open since it's still in warranty. 

08/29/2013 12:59 PM

Author Icon
WMudrockJr
Overclocker

That is not where temp should be. Under a full load 56C should be normal, so I assume that it is using a stock fan.

My experience is hot can be thermal paste issue (not enough), or the fan just bad.

I use a aftermarket Cooler Master to keep my APU at 2C at idle and mid 50's when I push all core to 100% for extended periods. Even when I change the Power Profile from Balanced to High Performance.

If you do upgrades to your system I can't believe that would void your warranty. So would be removing the CPU fan and reapplying thermal paste.

If you can't crack the case for warranty issue, then contact them.

I can give step by step instructions for doing thermal paste job.

-------------------------

AMD A10-5800K, XFX 7850 Ultra OC Edition 975MHz, 16GB RAM, Win 8.1 Pro 64 bit, MSI 7778 motherboard, 500W PSU, HP P7-1235, CCC 13.12 WHQL

08/31/2013 06:07 AM

Author Icon
TokeThatSmoke
Peon

Originally posted by: WMudrockJr That is not where temp should be. Under a full load 56C should be normal, so I assume that it is using a stock fan.

My experience is hot can be thermal paste issue (not enough), or the fan just bad.

I use a aftermarket Cooler Master to keep my APU at 2C at idle and mid 50's when I push all core to 100% for extended periods. Even when I change the Power Profile from Balanced to High Performance.

If you do upgrades to your system I can't believe that would void your warranty. So would be removing the CPU fan and reapplying thermal paste.

If you can't crack the case for warranty issue, then contact them.

I can give step by step instructions for doing thermal paste job.

Thanks for help, i know how to do all that (thermal phate reapplying, fan change and stuff.. i just don't have cash, so i was wondering if there's any other way.

08/31/2013 11:22 AM

Author Icon
WMudrockJr
Overclocker

Make sure that all air flow in and out of the case are not clogged up. That your system case is not in a restricted space where it just can not breath.

A good place to check is TigerDirect they are always having sales. Good lick with your issue.

-------------------------

AMD A10-5800K, XFX 7850 Ultra OC Edition 975MHz, 16GB RAM, Win 8.1 Pro 64 bit, MSI 7778 motherboard, 500W PSU, HP P7-1235, CCC 13.12 WHQL

08/31/2013 02:08 PM

Author Icon
ALpha
Peon

A couple months  ago I built a system around an A10-5800K chip and found that it would run anywhere from 90 degC to 110 degC.  This was running the same software and files that I have four Phenoms running on currently that average 50-55 degC under load. I RMA’d the  A10 chip to AMD and installed an A6-6400K in it’s place as I needed the system in use. The A6 also ran hot (not as much as the A10 though). When I received a replacement A10 from AMD I found that this chip also ran over 90 degC under load. I then removed the themal material AMD applies and installed a new aftermarket fan/heatsink. All this did was to drop the temperatures about 5 degC or so.This in a system where I also installed a large fan to move a large volume of air through the open case.

I have been a loyal AMD user for over 20 years. When this A10 dies from overheat I’ll move on to Intel (as much as I despise their lack of concern for cutomers).

So, good luck to you…

Statistics
87560 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 10 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.