Topic Title: New APU Overheating
Topic Summary: AMD A8-5600K with Ati radeon HD 5700d
Created On: 08/29/2013 06:18 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/29/2013 06:18 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
TokeThatSmoke
Peon

I bought a new computer about a month or two ago. 

So my PC is: AMD A8-5600k with ATI HD-5700D APU. 

8GB DDR 3 RAM

Windows 7 32-bit (yes yes i know)

(It's all i actually know, since i haven't been provided with any other info on the computer.) Nevermind that, everything else works perfectly. 

Ok so when i play games or watch HD movies (which the graphics advertise so hard) the cpu overheats after 5 min.. And the computer just whimps out.. freezes and the scratchy hum comes out of headphones and all that. 

I tested with speedfan and results were 45°c idle and 60 (after 5min od load) and 80 (after 10 - 20min). now im wondering what can i do or is it best that computer be returned.. 

Also case cannot be open since it's still in warranty. 

08/29/2013 12:59 PM

Author Icon
WMudrockJr
Overclocker

That is not where temp should be. Under a full load 56C should be normal, so I assume that it is using a stock fan.

My experience is hot can be thermal paste issue (not enough), or the fan just bad.

I use a aftermarket Cooler Master to keep my APU at 2C at idle and mid 50's when I push all core to 100% for extended periods. Even when I change the Power Profile from Balanced to High Performance.

If you do upgrades to your system I can't believe that would void your warranty. So would be removing the CPU fan and reapplying thermal paste.

If you can't crack the case for warranty issue, then contact them.

I can give step by step instructions for doing thermal paste job.

-------------------------

AMD A10-5800K, XFX 7850 Ultra OC Edition 975MHz, 16GB RAM, Win 8.1 Pro 64 bit, MSI 7778 motherboard, 500W PSU, HP P7-1235, CCC 13.12 WHQL

08/31/2013 06:07 AM

Author Icon
TokeThatSmoke
Peon

Originally posted by: WMudrockJr That is not where temp should be. Under a full load 56C should be normal, so I assume that it is using a stock fan.

My experience is hot can be thermal paste issue (not enough), or the fan just bad.

I use a aftermarket Cooler Master to keep my APU at 2C at idle and mid 50's when I push all core to 100% for extended periods. Even when I change the Power Profile from Balanced to High Performance.

If you do upgrades to your system I can't believe that would void your warranty. So would be removing the CPU fan and reapplying thermal paste.

If you can't crack the case for warranty issue, then contact them.

I can give step by step instructions for doing thermal paste job.

Thanks for help, i know how to do all that (thermal phate reapplying, fan change and stuff.. i just don't have cash, so i was wondering if there's any other way.

08/31/2013 11:22 AM

Author Icon
WMudrockJr
Overclocker

Make sure that all air flow in and out of the case are not clogged up. That your system case is not in a restricted space where it just can not breath.

A good place to check is TigerDirect they are always having sales. Good lick with your issue.

-------------------------

AMD A10-5800K, XFX 7850 Ultra OC Edition 975MHz, 16GB RAM, Win 8.1 Pro 64 bit, MSI 7778 motherboard, 500W PSU, HP P7-1235, CCC 13.12 WHQL

08/31/2013 02:08 PM

Author Icon
ALpha
Peon

A couple months  ago I built a system around an A10-5800K chip and found that it would run anywhere from 90 degC to 110 degC.  This was running the same software and files that I have four Phenoms running on currently that average 50-55 degC under load. I RMA’d the  A10 chip to AMD and installed an A6-6400K in it’s place as I needed the system in use. The A6 also ran hot (not as much as the A10 though). When I received a replacement A10 from AMD I found that this chip also ran over 90 degC under load. I then removed the themal material AMD applies and installed a new aftermarket fan/heatsink. All this did was to drop the temperatures about 5 degC or so.This in a system where I also installed a large fan to move a large volume of air through the open case.

I have been a loyal AMD user for over 20 years. When this A10 dies from overheat I’ll move on to Intel (as much as I despise their lack of concern for cutomers).

So, good luck to you…

Statistics
81004 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.