Topic Title: Dual Socket APU MB???
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/09/2013 10:03 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/09/2013 10:03 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
distantreality
Peon

Ok this may be a stupid question but had to ask...I was just curious if there are any Dual Socket APU Motherboards and if not why and if any will be in the works....I am just interested in seeing a dual socket motherboard capable of running 2 quad core apu's and if the 2 apu's could run like dual crossfire etc...Thanks

09/10/2013 08:20 PM

Author Icon
Electronic_Pleasure
Peon

Doubt it since the APU crossfires with a graphics card.

We'll see how FM2 goes though, Might find an FM2 board that runs a cpu rather than the APU for those with 7950's etc..

-------------------------
AMD A10 5800K
Biostar Hi-Fi A85S3
x2 4GB Ripjaw 1600's
OCz 240GB Vertex II SSD
X-Fi Titanium HD
AMD 7870 2GB

Acer W500 Windows8 Tablet AMD C50, 2GB, 32GB MicroSSD

AMD Phenom X2 Black Edition
4GB 1333mhz
500GB
Nforce 8200A AM3
 11/30/2013 07:02 PM

Author Icon
iamwardicus
Peon

First off I apologise for the 2 1/2 month thread necro - but I'm not sure how to make new posts on this forum yet.

Personally I wish that AMD would get us a dual socket APU motherboard.  I think if they ever did allow dual socket APU motherboards that they would not be able to CrossFire the graphics (although with HSA, hUMA, and Mantle perhaps it is possible).  I would love a dual socket board though for 8 true Steamroller cores + the benefits of the integrated graphics doing any extra available processing.  I think it would allow a true high performance option for entheusists and at a budget price compared to most Intel offerings.  Time will tell as HSA is adopted and used. 

My message to AMD is to PLEASE make an Opteron verson of the APU and enable us to have at least dual socket motherboards.  Even a 2p motherboard with a single x16 PCI-E slot would satisify many of the AMD loyalists such as myself.

02/25/2014 09:50 PM

Author Icon
mikekolba
Peon

03/16/2014 02:30 PM

Author Icon
BunnyRabbit
Peon

Yes, that has been around since January last year, but unfortionately there is no dual socket MB. Plus that CPU (Opteron X2150) is for microservers, and you wouldn't want it running a game-- it has half the speed of an A10. If it will be ever be worth it to build a dual apu computer for gaming, it would have to use steamroller/pilediver cores, not puma/jaguar cores. As much as I would want to build a dual apu computer myself, it doesn't look like it's gonna happen. So let's leave it at that. 

04/01/2014 05:42 AM

Author Icon
Zombie615
Peon

Sounds interesting but I don't think they will ever do that. Reason being the whole purpose of an APU is to lower power consumption, save space, an save money for the budget gamer or computer user. Therefore it would be a waste of money an time for them to do that when someone wanting that extra power could just buy a mainstream CPU an install a GPU an get the same effect they were hoping for with 2 socket APU MB.

-------------------------
AMD + ASUS = Good Machine
Statistics
80912 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.