Topic Title: Allocating More Memory To 8550G
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/05/2013 08:00 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/05/2013 08:00 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Cannibalpriest
Peon

I recently bought an HP Pavilion 17-e020dx that comes with an A8-5550M APU that comes with the 8550G graphics card.  The memory in it was crap, so I upgraded to 8gb of faster memory.  I'm noticing though that it's only set to use 512mb of the memory for graphics, but is capable of using up to 2GB according to the manual.  I can't figure out how to increase the amount allocated to it though.  I've check the bios over multiple times, there's no option for it at all.  I've also check the CCC and I can't see any option there.  I've seen some people post online saying that you can change it in the CCC, so maybe that option just isn't showing up for me.  Thanks for any help you can give!

10/05/2013 08:24 PM

Author Icon
WMudrockJr
Overclocker

Yes you do have up to 2Gb, but what are you looking at that you see 512Mb. You should be looking at Display Memory, Dedicated Memory and Shared Memory.  You also need to look at how much RAM is the motherboard as well.

There are several tools out to show these statics GPU-Z is one of them. You can use AMD System Monitor to show your RAM is divided out. You can also use DXDiag to get statics to.

-------------------------

AMD A10-5800K, XFX 7850 Ultra OC Edition 975MHz, 16GB RAM, Win 8.1 Pro 64 bit, MSI 7778 motherboard, 500W PSU, HP P7-1235, CCC 13.12 WHQL

10/06/2013 02:40 AM

Author Icon
Cannibalpriest
Peon

Well originally I looked at system information and dxdiag to try and figure it out.  I got the AMD System Monitor though after you mentioned it, it says 799MB is being used for hardware.

10/06/2013 11:43 AM

Author Icon
WMudrockJr
Overclocker

Download GPU-Z which on the first tab will show detailed information on graphic setup (CCC version, graphic RAM), second tab show activity.

But different DirectX version will use system RAM and graphic RAM differently. Here is my best try at explaining allocation of RAM for graphics.

The "dedicated" memory in GPU-Z is the amount of system (non-GPU) memory that is reserved for use by the graphics card (whether or not it is needed), whereas the "Dynamic" memory is the amount of memory that is actually being used by the graphics card at any given time for textures etc.. With DirectX 9 and before, all data in graphics memory was required to be duplicated in system memory and thus there was "Dedicated" system memory for graphics, usually equivalent to the memory capacity of the graphics card but sometimes bigger. With DirectX 11 and above, system memory is allocated for graphics dynamically and there is no "Dedicated" memory. Furthermore in DX11 and above there is no requirement that the the graphics memory be replicated in system memory, so the only time system memory is used is when the GPU runs out of graphics memory. This frees up a lot of system memory and is the reason why there is no "Dedicated" memory for you or any system running DX11.

-------------------------

AMD A10-5800K, XFX 7850 Ultra OC Edition 975MHz, 16GB RAM, Win 8.1 Pro 64 bit, MSI 7778 motherboard, 500W PSU, HP P7-1235, CCC 13.12 WHQL

Statistics
84146 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.