Topic Title: A10 6800 Very disappointing graphics. Is it faulty?
Topic Summary: MY graphics are very poor on video playback. Is this a faulty chip or just rubbish?
Created On: 12/16/2013 08:08 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 3 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/16/2013 08:08 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
TwistedVanity
Peon

Is this a terrible graphics APU or have I a faulty one? 

I have:-

AMD APU A10 6800K Black Edition 4.4GHz Socket FM - (Its running at only 4.1 GHZ which the motherboard says is its default) - - - - its "supposed" to have  a built-in Radeon HD 8670D graphics 

Asus F2A85-V Pro Socket FM2 VGA DVI HDMI DisplayPort 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard

Corsair Vengeance Pro 16gb (4 X 4gb) (PC2133 unbuffered)

And yet it won't even support most of the windows 7 64bit screen savers, if you try to use say "bubbles" screensaver it says it can't as the graphics card is not compatible with Direct3D - - - BUT IT SHOULD BE SHOULDN'T IT???

Then there's video play back.... its terrible. An episode of familly guy seems to have a fizzing edge round every edge drawn, characters, tables etc. Normal video playback of a normal DVD is very poor too. The quality is low, the colours and definition washed out. And I haven't even tried it on any basic games yet!

Before I had AMD Phenom 9850 black edition 2.4GHZ quad core 

Sapphire RAdeon HD4670 1GB DDR

Gigabyte GA-MA970-DS4 motherboard

Kingston Hyper memory 4x 1GB PC1066 unbuffered.

I thought I was upgrading, but so far the graphics are much worse, the definition terrible and contrast washed out on normal setting. Tweaking helps a bit but not enough.

I predominently use my PC as a media center, films, videos, photo editing, internet, youtube and minor games. I honestly regret buying this chip. I wish I'd opted for an FX CPU and kept my old graphics card instead. However I have to wonder. Is this APU just utter rubbish, or have I got a faulty one? I ask as the reviews I read online about this chip sang its praises, where as I curse its loses. 

12/16/2013 01:27 PM

Author Icon
WMudrockJr
Overclocker

You might want to try this hotfix for Windows 7 from Microsoft.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2159238

-------------------------

AMD A10-5800K, XFX 7850 Ultra OC Edition 975MHz, 16GB RAM, Win 8.1 Pro 64 bit, MSI 7778 motherboard, 500W PSU, HP P7-1235, CCC 13.12 WHQL

12/19/2013 04:04 AM

Author Icon
TwistedVanity
Peon

Tried the hotfix - nope still says I do not have a 3D compatible video card.

Also when I look up display via device manager it states standard VGA Graphics adapter

Windows rates my gaming Graphics as 1.0

Something is not working - is there some way you have to turn on the graphics part of this APU - because its not working right now

12/19/2013 12:57 PM

Author Icon
WMudrockJr
Overclocker

I guess we can start with is the Motherboard BIOS is up todate ?

AMD A10-5800K, XFX 7850 Ultra OC Edition 975MHz, 16GB RAM, Win 8.1 Pro 64 bit, MSI 7778 motherboard, 500W PSU, HP P7-1235, CCC 13.12 WHQL

12/26/2013 07:29 PM

Author Icon
ChrisSilvey
Peon

Do you have DirectX 10 Installed?

01/03/2014 01:40 PM

Author Icon
jago
Peon

I have the same problem with the A10 6790K APU. I have the latest Bios, I installed DirectX 10. What next?

01/03/2014 02:59 PM

Author Icon
Dch48
Nerfed

If Windows is saying it's a standard graphics adapter then it is a driver problem. You are running on the generic driver that comes with Windows and does not, as you have found, support all functions. The APU graphics are not being recognized by the driver.. I suggest you first download the driver provided by Asus (if there is one) then uninstall the current graphics driver with the Catalyst Install Manager, if it is listed in your programs list. If it's not there, go to Device Manager and remove the device from your system.  Before rebooting, install the driver provided by Asus and then reboot.  You could also try the Catalyst 13.12 driver (if there is no Asus one) which does support your graphics. The 13.4 does not.

That APU should perform better than your older setup did but not drastically so.  It also is a DX 11 card not 10 and supports shader model 5.

It could also be a problem with the motherboard chipset drivers but that's not as likely.

There is a graphics driver from ASUS at http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/F2A85V_PRO/#support 

If it still doesn't work, try the 13.12 Catalyst.

HP Dv6-6140us Laptop, AMD A8-3500M APU with Radeon HD 6620G graphics, 6 GB DDR3-1333 RAM.

Edited: 01/03/2014 at 03:34 PM by Dch48
 01/03/2014 04:38 PM

Author Icon
jago
Peon

I did it exactly as described. When I started VGA AsusSetup this version:

---------

Version 12.105.0.0

Description AMD Graphics Driver V12.105.0.0 for Windows 7 32bit & Win7 64bit & Win8 32bit & Win8 64bit.

AMD Graphics Driver V12.105.0.0 for Windows 7 32bit & Win7 64bit & Win8 32bit & Win8 64bit.

*Inhance the compatibility with Richland CPU.,

--------

opened the window Catalyst!  I finished installing, reboot, and the result? I see only the desktop with wallpaper, but without icons and mouse cursor. I had to turn on safe mode to remove the driver. Any idea why this happened? Apparently, the driver actually installed but the system does not work with them. When I use ctrl + alt + del, monitor turns black. Any other ideas? I have DirectX 11.

01/03/2014 10:58 PM

Author Icon
Dch48
Nerfed

Originally posted by: jago I did it exactly as described. When I started VGA AsusSetup this version:

---------

Version 12.105.0.0

Description AMD Graphics Driver V12.105.0.0 for Windows 7 32bit & Win7 64bit & Win8 32bit & Win8 64bit.

AMD Graphics Driver V12.105.0.0 for Windows 7 32bit & Win7 64bit & Win8 32bit & Win8 64bit.

*Inhance the compatibility with Richland CPU.,

--------

opened the window Catalyst!  I finished installing, reboot, and the result? I see only the desktop with wallpaper, but without icons and mouse cursor. I had to turn on safe mode to remove the driver. Any idea why this happened? Apparently, the driver actually installed but the system does not work with them. When I use ctrl + alt + del, monitor turns black. Any other ideas? I have DirectX 11.

Jago, that driver is specifically for that Asus motherboard. You may need a different one.

Try the Catalyst 13.12 driver.

HP Dv6-6140us Laptop, AMD A8-3500M APU with Radeon HD 6620G graphics, 6 GB DDR3-1333 RAM.
 01/04/2014 12:43 AM

Author Icon
jago
Peon

OMG, I have motherboard Asus F2A85-V Pro. Why I would Asus drivers installed on another card? And what I'm Catalyst 13.12, if it does not work with him? Why manufactures an APU, when it does not work? I have to go buy a graphics card separately?

Edit: I have installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. It's maybe problem?

Edited: 01/04/2014 at 06:37 AM by jago
 01/04/2014 08:33 PM

Author Icon
Dch48
Nerfed

It shouldn't be, no. I would go back to the Asus site and download and install the chipset drivers. That may work or it may unfortunately be a problem motherboard since 2 people with it have the exact same issues.

01/05/2014 03:50 AM

Author Icon
jago
Peon

I downloaded the chipset driver AMD_Chipset_XPVistaWin7-8-8-1_VER2010273_VER512015, after installation of the same problem, space, wallpaper, no icons, no cursor. I ask for replacement of the motherboard?

01/05/2014 09:18 PM

Author Icon
Dch48
Nerfed

I would definitely contact Asus support and see if they can figure out what's going on.

01/10/2014 08:25 AM

Author Icon
jago
Peon

The problem is solved. The error was that before the installation was connected to two outputs - VGA monitor and HDMI TV . After instalation and reboot, the default display is adjusted to HDMI - TV without icons. Because the mouse did not work, I thought it is a bug in the driver or the motherboard.

After connecting a and installing second graphics card in PCIE situation was the same, but this time the mouse to work. I chose the right mouse button display settings and switched the primary display on the monitor. Done, everything is fine, after switching to integrated graphics and install Catalyst everything works well. And this despite the fact that officially, this motherboard does not support my A10 6970K processor! Interesting.

Thanks for the help everyone.

01/11/2014 08:37 PM

Author Icon
rhapdog
Peon

Sorry that I'm late to the party.

I had the exact same symptoms with mine, but different solution. Same APU and same motherboard, but only one monitor. I was very frustrated at first. Then I discovered that the BIOS was dated before there was ever an A10-6800K. The place I got the MB from apparently had it in stock for a very long time, and it needed a BIOS upgrade to make it compatible, because the BIOS didn't recognize it properly.

Once the BIOS was updated to version 6104, I was able to get the proper driver installed, and no issues since. Seems the BIOS version I had previously could only handle through the A10-5800K. I post this in case it helps anyone in the near future.

“If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside.” – Robert X. Cringely

02/13/2014 07:16 PM

Author Icon
TwistedVanity
Peon

Originally posted by: rhapdog Sorry that I'm late to the party.

I had the exact same symptoms with mine, but different solution. Same APU and same motherboard, but only one monitor. I was very frustrated at first. Then I discovered that the BIOS was dated before there was ever an A10-6800K. The place I got the MB from apparently had it in stock for a very long time, and it needed a BIOS upgrade to make it compatible, because the BIOS didn't recognize it properly.

Once the BIOS was updated to version 6104, I was able to get the proper driver installed, and no issues since. Seems the BIOS version I had previously could only handle through the A10-5800K. I post this in case it helps anyone in the near future.

Sounds promising however I updated the motherbaord bios as second thing I did, built in motherboard utility for that.

I eventually got tech support at ebuyer.com who remote accessed my PC and after about an hour and a half found some drivers that worked - amd support never ever got back to me -

Apparently the problem lay in the fact that my processor was the "Black Edition" version. Black edition does not register in their auto-detect and doesn't use the normal A10 drivers. He eventually found some black edition drivers they ran and seems to be working ok. My PC now recognises my Graphics card built into the GPU.

TechPowerUp GPU-Z program states I have a AMD radeon HD 8760D Devastator GPU. GPU clock 1023MHz Memory 674Mhz - that having run the built in graphics overclocker in Catalyst.

However - in my opinion the graphics still seem lacking. And was much better with my HD4600 series card than now

02/13/2014 07:51 PM

Author Icon
rhapdog
Peon

Originally posted by: TwistedVanity

Sounds promising however I updated the motherbaord bios as second thing I did, built in motherboard utility for that.

I eventually got tech support at ebuyer.com who remote accessed my PC and after about an hour and a half found some drivers that worked - amd support never ever got back to me -

Apparently the problem lay in the fact that my processor was the "Black Edition" version. Black edition does not register in their auto-detect and doesn't use the normal A10 drivers. He eventually found some black edition drivers they ran and seems to be working ok. My PC now recognises my Graphics card built into the GPU.

TechPowerUp GPU-Z program states I have a AMD radeon HD 8760D Devastator GPU. GPU clock 1023MHz Memory 674Mhz - that having run the built in graphics overclocker in Catalyst.

However - in my opinion the graphics still seem lacking. And was much better with my HD4600 series card than now

As far as graphics drivers go, there is no difference between a Black edition and normal A10. They get the same driver from AMD installed by the Catalyst Control Center Install Manager.

Your performance issues seem to be from the slower memory you are running. 1333MHz RAM will make a APU crawl at a snails pace. I'm using 2133MHz, reported by GPU-Z as 1066, of course. (Since it's DDR, you have to double the figure to get the effective bandwidth.)

With my current setup, with the CPU OC'd to 4800MHz and the iGPU OC'd to 1266MHz, with 2133MHz RAM, I can get 40+ minimum FPS in Tomb Raider using Normal settings at 720p, and average 64 FPS with a max of 72 FPS. Not bad for an APU. I noticed however, setting the RAM to 1333MHz will nearly cut my FPS in half, and the game is unplayable except on the lowest settings.

If you're going to get an APU, you've got to get the faster memory.

“If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside.” – Robert X. Cringely

02/15/2014 05:42 AM

Author Icon
TwistedVanity
Peon

Originally posted by:

As far as graphics drivers go, there is no difference between a Black edition and normal A10. They get the same driver from AMD installed by the Catalyst Control Center Install Manager.

Your performance issues seem to be from the slower memory you are running. 1333MHz RAM will make a APU crawl at a snails pace. I'm using 2133MHz, reported by GPU-Z as 1066, of course. (Since it's DDR, you have to double the figure to get the effective bandwidth.)

With my current setup, with the CPU OC'd to 4800MHz and the iGPU OC'd to 1266MHz, with 2133MHz RAM, I can get 40+ minimum FPS in Tomb Raider using Normal settings at 720p, and average 64 FPS with a max of 72 FPS. Not bad for an APU. I noticed however, setting the RAM to 1333MHz will nearly cut my FPS in half, and the game is unplayable except on the lowest settings.

If you're going to get an APU, you've got to get the faster memory.

That was my problem 2 that I'm still waiting for asus to get back to me on. I have 2133MHZ memory installed, but my motherboard which supports it, only runs it at 1333MHz in auto detect mode, and if I alter the settings to get it to run at the correct speed I get blue screen of death.

As to black edition drivers... no specific ones... however thats how ebuyer explained it to me, as the normal drivers for my processor would not work, errored installing, and wouldn't autodetect either, and on numerous other sites people with the black edition processors have had the same problem, where as none black edition versions installed the drivers without issue

Asus F2A85-V Pro Socket FM2 motherboard

AMD APU A10 6800K Black Edition 4.4GHz Socket FM2 4MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor

Corsair Vengeance Pro 16gb (4 X 4gb) Memory Kit Pc3-17066 2133mhz Ddr3 Dram Unbuffered (red)

Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev 2 heatsink

Edited: 02/15/2014 at 05:58 AM by TwistedVanity
 02/15/2014 02:21 PM

Author Icon
rhapdog
Peon

Originally posted by: TwistedVanity

That was my problem 2 that I'm still waiting for asus to get back to me on. I have 2133MHZ memory installed, but my motherboard which supports it, only runs it at 1333MHz in auto detect mode, and if I alter the settings to get it to run at the correct speed I get blue screen of death.

As to black edition drivers... no specific ones... however thats how ebuyer explained it to me, as the normal drivers for my processor would not work, errored installing, and wouldn't autodetect either, and on numerous other sites people with the black edition processors have had the same problem, where as none black edition versions installed the drivers without issue

Asus F2A85-V Pro Socket FM2 motherboard

AMD APU A10 6800K Black Edition 4.4GHz Socket FM2 4MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor

Corsair Vengeance Pro 16gb (4 X 4gb) Memory Kit Pc3-17066 2133mhz Ddr3 Dram Unbuffered (red)

Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev 2 heatsink

I also have the F2A85-V Pro motherboard, and the AMD APU A10-6800K Black Edition. I also run Corsair Vengeance memory, but not the 4x4GB 2133MHz kit. I have a 2x8GB 1866MHz kit that I have managed to OC to 2133MHz.

It took some real work to get the memory to operate at the rated speed of 1866MHz before I ever tried OCing it. The motherboard does not have Corsair Vengeance memory listed as part of the list of compatible memory with that board, so it doesn't configure it properly when you try to run it at rated speed. It will handle the normal SPD profiles, but not the enthusiast profile, which is what my 1866 and what your 2133 are.

Even though it's not listed for compatibility, it can be made to work, it just isn't plug and play, so to speak. Get me Corsair's actual model number for your memory package and I'll help you with the config.

You will have to manually configure everything right in both the primary and secondary timings. You can't just set the speed at 2133, without manually adjusting the timings, and you also may have to adjust your voltage for the memory, I'm not sure.  The memory should have come with the timings for it to run at 2133, as well as what voltage it runs at.

Mine runs at 1.5v for 1866, because that's what it's "rated" for. I had to bump up to 1.65 to get 2133 to get it stable there. If your memory is rated at 1.5 for 2133, then make sure the voltage for it is set as such.

If you need to know specific screens to enter to make the adjustments, and where to make those adjustments, let me know. I'll do some screen shots in my BIOS and post what you need.

Also, if you'll give Corsair's model number for the memory, I'll try to get you the rest of the info on how to get it where you need it for that board. Since mine OCs to 2133, we may be able to get you OCed to 2400. Just be aware that if you have to raise the voltage any for the memory, that the memory controller is embedded in the CPU, so you don't want to go over 1.65 on an OC, and want to keep it at 1.5v for non-OC. It will cause heating issues with the CPU. Not an issue for me since I run a Cooler Master Seidon 120XL liquid CPU Cooler for it, which gave me more OC headroom.

02/15/2014 04:48 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

Many PC enthusiasts do not understand that just because RAM is rated as being able to run at a specific frequency, this does not mean the BIOS will set the RAM to that frequency or the proper timings and voltage for the max frequency. Most of the time the PC builder must manually set the RAM timings and voltage for anything other than the default settings listed in in the SPD, as noted by Rhapdog. The SPD settings are there to insure the RAM will boot properly when read by the BIOS so the frequency is usually matched to the CPU's default RAM frequency or lower.

In addition just because the RAM has been tested and confirmed to be able to run at some high frequency does NOT mean that it will run at the max frequency on your mobo/CPU/RAM combo due to the variations in design and manufacturing of the components. If you have a CPU that is only rated to run RAM @ 1333 MHz. then it may not be able to run RAM at 1866 MHz. even if you installed RAM that is capable of much higher frequency. The RAM max frequency rating is specifically for the RAM and nothing else.

It's also important to understand when buying RAM that you should purchase the full quantity that you desire as ONE RAM KIT, not multiple kits or multiple individual DIMMs even of the same part number. The reason for this is that with the mixing of multiple kits, the timings for one kit no longer apply and you usually need to SLOW the timings considerably to make multiple kits or multiple individual DIMMs function without problems. There are exceptions to this but for the most part mixing of RAM kits or individual DIMMs almost always requires that the timings be slowed for reliable performance.

And finally all DDR3 RAM does not play nice with all mobos. This is a fact of life although this should not be the case and is pretty rare. Every now and then there is RAM that simply will not function properly or reliably with a certain model mobo. Usually the RAM and mobo makers are able to get together and issue a new BIOS to correct this but if you don't know this and you don't report the issue to the RAM and mobo maker, it takes longer for them to correct the issue.

BTW the RAM timings and voltage are typically on a label on the Corsair DIMMs and also on the box.

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

Edited: 02/15/2014 at 07:13 PM by AMDforMe
Statistics
80912 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.