Topic Title: A10 6800 Very disappointing graphics. Is it faulty?
Topic Summary: MY graphics are very poor on video playback. Is this a faulty chip or just rubbish?
Created On: 12/16/2013 08:08 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 Previous Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/15/2014 05:15 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
TwistedVanity
Peon

THANKS rhapdog

When I decided to purchase the motherboard I went to asus site to try and find the list of recommended memory, however I could not find it any where then. Yet its so blooming obvious too find now - god knows...Thats when I decided to go with a popular brand - corsair - thinking I'd probably get lucky-NOT. 

I purchased 2 of these kits they are identical - all 4 sticks have the identical sticker on the top as the one posted above. In case it doesn't show up its

CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO SERIES: CMY8GX3M2A2133C11R

2133MHZ   11-11-11-27         1.50V   Ver3.24

I think . . .I know where to  alter the settings, however not positive, so some screen shots would be greatly appreciated. (Last time I manually changed memory settings was over 10 years ago following a step by step tutorial from a magazine)

Edited: 02/15/2014 at 05:38 PM by TwistedVanity
 02/15/2014 07:11 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

The fact that you purchased TWO kits and combined them is most likely the source of your problems as noted in my post on RAM timings. On the Corsair website in the FAQ section I believe, they warn not to mix RAM kits even of the same part number - because the timings and voltage for one kit won't work usually for two kits mixed.

Use CPU-Z and look at the SPD tab options that shows the various RAM frequencies and timings. Write down the SLOWEST settings. Then go into the BIOS and set the RAM parameters to these settings and see if it helps. You may need to go even slower on the timings AND higher on the RAM voltage, which for std. DDR3 RAM is safe up to 1.7v.

The settings specified on the Corsair (or other brands of RAM), lable are for only one kit, not mixing of two kits. The good news is the DDR3 timings on RAM running at or above 1600 MHz. make almost no difference in system performance (only in benchmarks), so you can run the slower timings for stability and not have any tangible loss in system performance.

-------------------------

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

Edited: 02/15/2014 at 07:40 PM by AMDforMe
 02/15/2014 08:10 PM

Author Icon
rhapdog
Peon

AMDforMe is correct that the timings are listed for one kit, not mixing 2 kits, however, those timings "may" still work. Only testing will tell for sure. I would start with those timings, however, the kit voltage is definitely only for one kit. Adding sticks always requires that you increase voltage. I would start with increasing the voltage in 0.05v increments, testing at each stage. use the supplied timings of 11-11-11-27 to start.

It is also possible you may have to increase the command rate from 1 to 2. CPU-Z may tell you on the SPD page what it is supposed to be for one kit, maybe not. CPU-Z did not correctly report my SPD profiles, and I had to use AIDA64 to get the correct profiles. It did not list at all my enthusiast profile, as it only list standard profiles. Since you have Corsair Vengeance, you may have the same issues. (CPU-Z isn't fool-proof, as it reports my integrated graphics memory and dedicated card graphics memory reversed from what they actually are, and it is the only program that screws that up that I've found.)

Continue to increase voltage by 0.05 until stable, but do not go higher than 1.7v. With that particular APU, I would recommend not going above 1.65v. At 1.65, I would start to decrease the timings. It's all guess work from there. Finding someone else with 2 of the same kits and seeing what they did won't help, because it can be on a kit-by-kit basis with these timings, unfortunately.

AMDforMe is also correct in that the slower timings won't make a difference above 1600MHz except in benchmarks. It will decrease number of memory operations per second, however, it will increase bandwidth, which is what the APU and what gaming graphics needs. GDDR5 has horrible latency, to slow in fact to run normal computer operations, but the bandwidth is what is important for gaming graphics, so they really excel at what they do because of the crazy bandwidth. That's why we need to get you up to 2133.

EDIT:

Screenshots as follows.

1st BIOS Screenshot

3rd Screenshot4th Screenshot2nd BIOS Screenshot

“If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside.” – Robert X. Cringely

Edited: 02/15/2014 at 09:42 PM by rhapdog
 02/15/2014 10:44 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

The increased RAM frequency is what helps the GPU section of an APU, not the timings. Use whatever timings are required for stability. The increased frequency is what increases the bandwidth. The RAM timings mean virtually nothing by comparison to an increase in frequency for an APU. For a desktop type CPU, 1600 MHz. is all you need as anything faster produces no tangible performance in real applications. This has been documented over and over by many review sites but of course RAM makers don't want you to know this. You can run the test yourself and see there simply is no tangible system performance with faster RAM.

Ram benchmark results do not accurately reflect real application performance because the benchmark maker assigns a relevance to the test results and it basically assumes 100% RAM saturation all the time which never happens in any PC so the benchmarks are very misleading when it comes to RAM frequency and timings.

RAM benchmarks are designed to sell RAM and make people feel warm and fuzzy after they spend way too much money on RAM that does not deliver a tangible system performance improvement when they run real applications. Think of RAM benchmarks as showing the RAM's "potential" for the future because DDR3 RAM running at 1600 MHz. has been proven to not be a system bottleneck on desktop PCs powered by CPUs. For APUs up to 2133 MHz. shows some useful gains but the timings are totally unimportant. Beyond 2133 MHz. right now their are only minute gains even with APUs so paying more for higher frequency RAM is a waste of money beyond 2133 MHz.

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

02/16/2014 09:39 PM

Author Icon
TwistedVanity
Peon

Thanks this is a great help .. I'll try this when I get home.

I'm curious though - what are the secondary timings under DRAM and should I be changing those at all??

02/17/2014 04:54 AM

Author Icon
TwistedVanity
Peon

Hi THANK YOU!!!!!!

I inputed as you recommended 11-11-11-27 changed voltage to 1.67500 and set frequency to 2133Mhz. restarted everything works fine. Everything looks fine BIOS says 2133Mhz BUT this reads my memory as slower 1066Mhz?????

YET the graphics have improved

Prior to altering the memory this read the graphics as a HD 7000 series and memory was  something like 667Mhz.

Not sure whats going on here

Edited: 02/17/2014 at 05:21 AM by TwistedVanity
 02/17/2014 05:09 AM

Author Icon
TwistedVanity
Peon

PS thank you for the step by step instructions Rhapdog it was greatly appreciated.

And for the record before I did it I removed all the memory, completely reset the bios and just inserted one kit, I retained all the previous problems mentioned, and the CPU-Z SPD reads identical for all 4 sticks

Edited: 02/17/2014 at 05:23 AM by TwistedVanity
 02/17/2014 08:39 AM

Author Icon
rhapdog
Peon

@TwistedVanity:

Memory that runs a bandwidth of 2133MHz has a clock speed of 1066MHz. CPU-Z and other utilities will always report the clock speed of the memory.

But DDR means Double Data Rate, which means 2 operations per clock cycle, so you have to multiply the clock speed (1066MHz) times 2 to get the correct bandwidth rate. 1066MHz * 2 = 2133MHz.

Okay, 1066*2=2132, I know, but you have to know something the numbers do not tell you.  It's not really 1066, it's 1066-2/3, which is closer to 1067. Also, it's not really 2133, but 2133-1/3. Different programs may report it differently depending on how they round.

“If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside.” – Robert X. Cringely

02/17/2014 09:26 AM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

TwistyVanity-

Glad you got it fixed. Now you can see why RAM makers recommend against mixing of RAM kits and why the timings for one kit rarely work when mixing two or more kits.

02/17/2014 10:04 AM

Author Icon
J__
Peon

did you get this sorted? ie, graphics working properly? I noticed your northbridge frequency is at 1499mhz. What's you WEI score for graphics? should be 6.7-6.9 for both aero and 3d gaming. 

I had a different setup, a10-5800k with MSI mobo and dual channel 2133mhz ripjawsx 16gig ram. Wwas getting poor graphics in game/video/photoshop with WEI of 4.8 in aero and 6.7 in 3d gaming. Tried everything from rma'ing the chip to overclocking the ram to reinstalling every available driver version. Then noticed my northbridge frequency throttling down to 1400-1499mhz everytime the igpu is active. Finally fixed it by returning the msi mobo and getting a gigabyte where the northbridge is at a consistent 1800mhz and all graphics working perfectly as it should.

02/17/2014 09:49 PM

Author Icon
TwistedVanity
Peon

AMDforMe - the issue wasn't mixing 2 kits. After you suggested it might be i removed the second kit. All the original problems remained. I even cleared and reset CMOS and BIOS then installed a single kit as you seemed to be suggesting. The memory was not recognised, the frequency was wrong, and correcting it without altering the timings caused a blue screen of death. This therefore had nothing to do with mixing two kits.

As soon as I followed rhapdogs instructions (thank you again) it worked perfectly with all 4 sticks/both kits installed.

J__ - sorry I'm not sure what WEI is. I haven't checked my graphics yet I work nights and been a grueler so I got this to working then just went to bed. I have farcry blood something, free with the APU so I thought I'd give that a play over the weekend and let you know. (I'm at work now...naughty..)

As I said however sorting the memory got the GPU-Z to read my graphics card as a HD8670D - prior to that, to my consternation it had stated I had a HD7000 series card, it also had memory as something like 667MHz for the GPU. - Since posting above pics I ran the Asus AII suite and overclocked it via its auto program. My GPU clock is now something like 1150MHZ and memory something like 1160MHZ (I'm at work or I'd take a picture and post same for you)

NOt sure what to test the graphics card with any suggestions would be appreciated - I was going to stress test the CPU and memory with Prime 95 when I get home make sure that aspect is stable.

ONE LAST QUESTION: I read somewhere that if you install another graphics card it could boost graphics performance by running in crossfire mode with the AGU graphics... however it only said certain card... but where do you find a list of compatible cards for this. I have a HD4600 series graphics card, would it enhance my current performance or overide it and reduce graphics performance were I to add it?

02/17/2014 10:33 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

It sounds like it was the two RAM kits and the settings that you were using. It's possible your BIOS didn't set the correct timings even with one just one kit. It happens. That's why we recommend to manually set everything to the proper timings and voltage as "auto" doesn't always work properly all the time. I've even seen SPD timings that did not function properly and they come right from the RAM maker and are specific to the RAM module.

The slower timings and increased RAM voltage are pretty much a requirement with (4) DIMMs unless you buy the real expensive RAM kits. Mixing is never recommended and now you know why - even though I understand you don't believe that was the issue.

I'm glad you have it working.

Enjoy.

02/18/2014 06:20 PM

Author Icon
J__
Peon

Originally posted by: TwistedVanity AMDforMe - the issue wasn't mixing 2 kits. After you suggested it might be i removed the second kit. All the original problems remained. I even cleared and reset CMOS and BIOS then installed a single kit as you seemed to be suggesting. The memory was not recognised, the frequency was wrong, and correcting it without altering the timings caused a blue screen of death. This therefore had nothing to do with mixing two kits.

As soon as I followed rhapdogs instructions (thank you again) it worked perfectly with all 4 sticks/both kits installed.

J__ - sorry I'm not sure what WEI is. I haven't checked my graphics yet I work nights and been a grueler so I got this to working then just went to bed. I have farcry blood something, free with the APU so I thought I'd give that a play over the weekend and let you know. (I'm at work now...naughty..)

As I said however sorting the memory got the GPU-Z to read my graphics card as a HD8670D - prior to that, to my consternation it had stated I had a HD7000 series card, it also had memory as something like 667MHz for the GPU. - Since posting above pics I ran the Asus AII suite and overclocked it via its auto program. My GPU clock is now something like 1150MHZ and memory something like 1160MHZ (I'm at work or I'd take a picture and post same for you)

NOt sure what to test the graphics card with any suggestions would be appreciated - I was going to stress test the CPU and memory with Prime 95 when I get home make sure that aspect is stable.

ONE LAST QUESTION: I read somewhere that if you install another graphics card it could boost graphics performance by running in crossfire mode with the AGU graphics... however it only said certain card... but where do you find a list of compatible cards for this. I have a HD4600 series graphics card, would it enhance my current performance or overide it and reduce graphics performance were I to add it?

WEI = windows experience index. It's window's 'benchmarking' index that gives a score from 1.0-7.9 (win 7) depending on your system specs and performance. Take it with a grain of salt as it's not a 'true' benchmark but just a rough idea and should tell you if something is really off. 

in my case, everything was as it should be on cpuz/gpuz just my graphics performance was super poor, then I noticed my jumping northbridge. My motherboard/newer bios was causing an issue with the northbridge frequency being throttled when the igpu is active causing major performance issues. The older bios's didn't seem to have this problem but unfortunately you cannot revert to old bios with the specific board I was having issues with. I'm not a super computer 'geek' so I'm not sure why it was causing the throttle, I just like to build and use my computers. I went through literally everything I knew from switching ram, making sure they were running dual channel, overclocking ram, RMA'ing a perfectly good cpu, etc etc and finally solved it by returning the defective board and getting a gigabyte. Now my system runs perfectly.

Seeing your northbridge at 1499mhz, I'm speculating you might have a similar issue as me. So I asked what your WEI is.

do this: click start icon in win7 (i'm assuming you're on win7) and right click "properties" under "my computer". Then under "systems" click the "windows experience index", click assessment and wait for it to finish. 

you should get something like:

processor: 7.3

memory: 7.4

graphics (aero): 6.9

gaming graphics (3D): 6.9

primary hard disk: 5.9 (if you're using a regular hd and not ssd)

if your graphics (aero): is anything lower than 6, something is wrong. And from my speculation and experience with my build and faulty MSI board, your motherboard might be faulty and you'll probably be getting 20ish fps in games. The ONLY reason to be getting a low score such as 4.8 in my case with this chip, is if you are using single channel ram. If your ram is running proper dual channel, you should not get anything lower than 6, unlike what everyone else tries to tell you. The MSI tech support that helped me with my issue told me that's what this cpu/apu is supposed to get because it's 'low-end'. I returned their product and went with another company to achieve proper results. Showed him, HA!

If you are getting 6.7+ in graphics aero and 3d, then your graphics is running properly and good to go. If you ARE having low WEI scores, try to see if you can get a hold of a different brand motherboard that supports your chip and see if it's the mobo. I doubt asus would have the same problem as MSI, but after seeing your northbridge low like that, I'm not ruling out it can be the root of your problem.

Edited: 02/18/2014 at 06:46 PM by J__
 02/19/2014 12:07 AM

Author Icon
TwistedVanity
Peon

So something is wrong?? I've the latest asus bios for my board too. 14th Feb 2014. 

By Northbridge do you mean my CPU frequency? Because that yo-yo's like mad. I was watching it change every couple of seconds from 2000 to 4000 totally at random.

I closed everything down except google and a download manager then it just kept flipping between these two speeds every few seconds:-

These were taken within seconds of each other

Edited: 02/19/2014 at 12:29 AM by TwistedVanity
 02/19/2014 12:32 AM

Author Icon
J__
Peon

Originally posted by: TwistedVanity

So something is wrong?? I've the latest asus bios for my board too. 14th Feb 2014. 

I got this board as it was the only one on www.ebuyer.com that supported 2133mhz memory - normally i prefer gigabyte boards

Yup, something is wrong. That's the same thing I got with my faulty MSI board. 4.8 with my memory running at 1600mhz, then 5.1 with it running at 2133mhz with horrible graphics. When I changed to a gigabyte, I got 6.7 at with memory at 1600mhz and 6.9 at 2133mhz. I have an A10 5800k so technically speaking yours should be equal if not greater than mine.

So granted that your CPU is not faulty, try and see if you can revert your bios on the mobo to a previous one to see if this solves the issue (make sure you know how to do this and make sure that you CAN do this as flashing bios can sometimes kill the mobo if you mess up), however don't flash to a bios so previous that it won't recognize your 6800k. 

The other option is to return your asus board and get something else... I would go with a gigabyte as I'm having a good experience with one now. I have a F2A88XM-D3H m-atx. If you want a full atx board you can get the F2A88X-D3H or the G1.sniper A88X.

The third option is to just bite the bullet and run with a faulty motherboard and get a good independent graphics card to run off of. I didn't want to do this as it would defeat the purpose of me getting an APU in the first place... so I stuck it out for a month of frustration back and forth dealing with this headache before getting my system to run properly.

I hope this helps and you get your system running properly!

edit: no, your cpu is normal going up and down because that's Cool n' Quiet feature of the motherboard throttling the cpu voltage whenever it's not in use to save power. That is normal.

This is your northbridge. "NB frequency" 1499.7 under Channel # in memory. It should be stable at ~1800mhz.

Try this, have cpuz memory tab open and do nothing, your NB frequency should be 1800mhz. Then try to do something that requires graphics like run the graphics test in GPUZ, your northbridge frequency will probably drop to 1400-1500 everytime your igpu is active. If it does, then you probably have the same issue I had which was a faulty mobo/bios.

To run the gpuz graphics test, click the "?" to the right of "N/A" beside Bus interface here: Then click run test

Edited: 02/19/2014 at 12:45 AM by J__
 02/19/2014 01:12 AM

Author Icon
TwistedVanity
Peon

+Without runing anything graphics that frequency is bouncing between 1544.8Mhz and 1866.8Mhz 

I started Far Cry 3 blood dragon that AMD supplied with the APU - graphics yuk frame rate poor but The Northbridge frequency stuck at exactly 1544.8Mhz and remained stable at that.

On the plus side I'm running VLP player an avi film, plus windows media player and MP4 film, a second VLP player with an MKV film, adobe photshop 64bit, adobe premier pro. VSO convertXtoDVD encoding 2 films, google chrome, a download manager and the game far cry 3 all simultaneously right now.

NB remains as stated stable, picture quality and performance on all players and apps seems stable and responsive, all audios in sync. Pretty good multi-tasking performance really

02/19/2014 01:56 AM

Author Icon
rhapdog
Peon

One thing that can cause a substantially lowered WEI is if you are running other programs when you run the index. Make sure nothing else is running when you do.

There's a new BIOS out? I'll have to check it out. Can't hurt to look at it.

What version are you using of the BIOS? I'm on 6104, which I have a copy of if you need it. BIOS date 5/08/2013, which is the first one or second one to support the 6800K, if I'm not mistaken.

The ASUS F2A85-V Pro is the absolute top board made by any manufacturer for the FM2 slot for the A10 processors. Don't let any Gigabyte fanboy fool you on that one. The Gigabyte boards have multiple issues depending on the model. The F2A85-V Pro is solid as a rock for everything.

I think I'll mosey on over to the ASUS site to check out BIOS updates...

02/19/2014 07:08 AM

Author Icon
J__
Peon

Originally posted by: TwistedVanity +Without runing anything graphics that frequency is bouncing between 1544.8Mhz and 1866.8Mhz 

I started Far Cry 3 blood dragon that AMD supplied with the APU - graphics yuk frame rate poor but The Northbridge frequency stuck at exactly 1544.8Mhz and remained stable at that.

On the plus side I'm running VLP player an avi film, plus windows media player and MP4 film, a second VLP player with an MKV film, adobe photshop 64bit, adobe premier pro. VSO convertXtoDVD encoding 2 films, google chrome, a download manager and the game far cry 3 all simultaneously right now.

NB remains as stated stable, picture quality and performance on all players and apps seems stable and responsive, all audios in sync. Pretty good multi-tasking performance really

Yup  something's wrong. It shouldn't go down to 1500. Should stay at 1800 no matter what. I bet your opengl performances is poor in Photoshop too, ie. Brush resizing and rotating image. If you can live with it then ok, but i know your system is not performing as it should as i had the same problem before i fixed it. My advice is to first revert to an old bios and see if that fixes the problem, if not then try a different motherboard regardless of brand

02/19/2014 07:17 AM

Author Icon
J__
Peon

Originally posted by: rhapdogThe ASUS F2A85-V Pro is the absolute top board made by any manufacturer for the FM2 slot for the A10 processors. Don't let any Gigabyte fanboy fool you on that one. The Gigabyte boards have multiple issues depending on the model. The F2A85-V Pro is solid as a rock for everything.

I'm sorry, but the last time i checked this thread is to help the op solve his poor graphics issue and not a debate on which brand is better. Op can get asus, gigabyte, msi, asrock etc i don't really care. He can buy a Ferrari but if the Ferrari isn't working, then it's useless regardless if it's the best or worst.

I just happened  to have had the exact same issue with my recent build and solved it by using a Gigabyte board therefore i posted the solution. If i used an Asus to solve the situation, i would of told him to get the Asus. Took me a month to solve as no one else had the same problem with a solution, and since i solved my problem I'd thought I'd share my insight to help a fellow member.

Stop being a tool.

02/19/2014 07:35 AM

Author Icon
TwistedVanity
Peon

F2A85-V PRO BIOS 6402
1.Improve system stability.
2.Support new CPUs. Please refer to our website at: http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

RELEASED 2014.01.21  update (oops sorry got date wrong I thought that was february.

If you think an older BIOS might have a better or more stable Northbridge I would definately appreciate someone sharing one. If not - if getting a new motherboard is the only way to bump up the graphics performance to what I should be getting from this system then its something I have to look at

AGAIN - thankyou all for all the help

Statistics
81101 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 10 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.