Topic Title: A8-5600K CPU Overheating
Topic Summary: CPU Temp
Created On: 01/06/2014 10:42 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/06/2014 10:42 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
LogicalHD
Peon

Hello,

From my research the A8-5600K's temperature should not exceed 74* C. I noticed mine staying above that even at idle using HWMonitor. Even restarting on its own or crashing.

I worked with AMD support and they offered to replace it so I obliged. The replacement processor does even worse; hitting temps of 95* C when running a game that is not hardware demanding at all.

Why is my machine not shutting off at temps above 95* C? 

I do understand the issue may be the motherboard or something because I did buy them in a pair. I just need some ideas or maybe I got another bad CPU?

I am not using the CPU for my graphics I am using a NVIDIA Geforce 760, I also re applied the thermal paste with no improvement.

Thanks

01/07/2014 12:36 AM

Author Icon
Vantharas
Sprite Maker

Possibly bad sensor on the motherboard if two different CPU's are stating there 75C idle. Probably a bad sensor in the motherboard would be my best guess since you've gone through a few CPU's. 

This is makign the assumption the heatsink is properly set with the right amount of TIM or Thermal Paste. Whatever you want to call it.

-------------------------

I5 3570K@4~5.0ghz: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H:Corsair Hydro H110 :16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR-3 1600: XFX Radeon 7950 @ 1100/1575 : Corsair AX 860 PSU: x1 WD Black 1TB HDD's: 90GB Agility 3: 960GB SSD : Creative Labs X-FI:Corsair 500R Arctic White Edition:3 22inch Monitors Eyefinity @ 5294x 1050 : Alienware Tact-X Keyboard: Razer Naga :Corsair Vengence 1500 Headset: Corsair SP2500 Speakers

01/07/2014 01:09 AM

Author Icon
LogicalHD
Peon

The motherboard reports a different temperature than the CPU reports, my motherboard sensor says it never reaches above 56* C

It has "ran hot" with both the factory supplied thermal paste and my own arctic silver application.

I may just give up and swap to intel.

Thanks for the fast response

01/07/2014 06:03 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

There is simply no way that your CPU would run that hot if the HSF is properly mounted so either you have a sensor readout error or you have a heatsink/fan mounting or fan speed issue, assuming the ambient room temp is below 120 F and you're reading the core temp, NOT the CPU temp..

The reason that your machine is NOT shutting off at 95C is because your CPU isn't running core temps of 95C or it would shut down.

I would suggest that you use Core Temp software to read the APU core temp as HWmonitor and other software can read both the core temps and the "CPU" temp. Unfortunately "CPU" temp is NOT the actual core temps of the CPU but is a thermister mounted on the CPU mobo below the CPU socket. This thermister typically reads 10C-25C higher than the CPU cores and is confusing to many people.

All of the CPUs/APUs are 100% tested just before they are boxed. It's almost NEVER the CPU/APU that is bad as threads here and in every PC forum on the planet confirm --- once people find the real issue.

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

01/07/2014 06:55 PM

Author Icon
mperna21
Peon

Sorry i am new to forums and dont know how to make my own thread so if anyone knows please feel free to tell me however i got a new case and parts all compatible. I bought a A10-5800k Trinity and a Biostar A85w FM2 motherboard. The cpu heatsink fan the box came with will not spin at all. I have tried plugging it into the pc fan 2 port on the motherboard and no difference. Everything elsen is working fine. When i enter the BIOS, i try to calibrate the cpu fan and it says "no cpu fan detected". Could it be i got a dud fan? Thanks in advance. sorry if this was posted wrongfully.

Senty Optimus Extreme Division Tower case. AMD A10-5800k Trinity 3.8GHz . Biostar Hi-Fi A85w FM2. 12 GB RAM Corsair ddr3. ATI Radeon HD 6770. Antec 650WATT.

01/07/2014 07:12 PM

Author Icon
LogicalHD
Peon

I was under the assumption that AMD processors do not report CORE temps. Either-way I downloaded core temp and it does not show any temps for the APU, just 0* C across the board

Originally posted by: AMDforMe There is simply no way that your CPU would run that hot if the HSF is properly mounted so either you have a sensor readout error or you have a heatsink/fan mounting or fan speed issue, assuming the ambient room temp is below 120 F and you're reading the core temp, NOT the CPU temp..

The reason that your machine is NOT shutting off at 95C is because your CPU isn't running core temps of 95C or it would shut down.

I would suggest that you use Core Temp software to read the APU core temp as HWmonitor and other software can read both the core temps and the "CPU" temp. Unfortunately "CPU" temp is NOT the actual core temps of the CPU but is a thermister mounted on the CPU mobo below the CPU socket. This thermister typically reads 10C-25C higher than the CPU cores and is confusing to many people.

All of the CPUs/APUs are 100% tested just before they are boxed. It's almost NEVER the CPU/APU that is bad as threads here and in every PC forum on the planet confirm --- once people find the real issue.

01/07/2014 07:55 PM

Author Icon
WMudrockJr
Overclocker

You need to use 1.0 RC5 as release RC6 does not show core temps for APUs. It is a reported bug.

AMD A10-5800K, XFX 7850 Ultra OC Edition 975MHz, 16GB RAM, Win 8.1 Pro 64 bit, MSI 7778 motherboard, 500W PSU, HP P7-1235, CCC 13.12 WHQL

01/28/2014 10:23 PM

Author Icon
snardvark
Peon

Go to the Coretemp website, go to support, click the "Live Chat" option and tell them your problem and they will give you the link to download the new updated core temp that will read the temps just fine.

Snard
 02/01/2014 01:42 PM

Author Icon
J__
Peon

Originally posted by: LogicalHD Hello,

From my research the A8-5600K's temperature should not exceed 74* C. I noticed mine staying above that even at idle using HWMonitor. Even restarting on its own or crashing.

I worked with AMD support and they offered to replace it so I obliged. The replacement processor does even worse; hitting temps of 95* C when running a game that is not hardware demanding at all.

Why is my machine not shutting off at temps above 95* C? 

I do understand the issue may be the motherboard or something because I did buy them in a pair. I just need some ideas or maybe I got another bad CPU?

I am not using the CPU for my graphics I am using a NVIDIA Geforce 760, I also re applied the thermal paste with no improvement.

Thanks

hwmonitor doesn't work well for me either, it states my cpu his 80c+ running prime. When I run Control Center sensors on from MSI, my system never goes above 47C which seems accurate when I touch the heat sink. I think hwmonitor isn't accurate with some setups. Trust your mobo not hwmonitor.

Statistics
81000 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.