Topic Title: AMD Overdrive or CPU problem. CPU locks the clock speed at 900Mhz
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/19/2014 03:23 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/19/2014 03:23 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
SlySkill
Peon

Hello everyone!

I need some help here. I have a laptop (Asus X550DP) with a AMD APU A8-5550M cpu and AMD Radeon HD 8550G + 8670M Dual Graphics.

Turbo core control (TCC) feature it's activated by default and I installed AMD Overdrive app to control this feature. My maximum frequency of my laptop cpu is 3100Mhz. The problem is that at this speed it is getting hot (79 Celsius degrees) and i really don't need so much speed not even when i play some games. So, i decided to save my settings on AMD Overdrive for when the system boots and sometimes Windows boots with a locked 2100 Mhz clock speed (TCC disabled), sometimes it runs with TCC activated which boosts my cpu. At 2100 Mhz even when i play games it hardly goes 65 C degrees. The same it's available for when it comes/enters from/to from sleep mode.

The biggest problem is that when sometimes i disable TCC the cpu stays a while at 2100 Mhz and after this it's just locks at 900 Mhz and i can set the clock higher only if i restart Windows or i put it on sleep mode and wake it. I never heard of something so weierd. In BIOS i don't have any overclock control or TCC or cool n quiet options to modify.

I have all my drivers updated to date, the laptop it's a month old already and everything it's ok with it, does not heat up excesivelly, does not have any abnormal freezes/crashes or anything wrong.

I tested to see if it's something wrong with Windows on those versions: Windows 7 sp1, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1, all x64 versions.

If anybody could give me any advice on how can i do to resolve this, i would be very grateful and sorry if i wrote so much.

I attached some screens below.

Thanks in advance!

01/19/2014 07:37 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

It sounds like it is not coming out of the sleep state and that is why it stays locked at 900 MHz. This may be a BIOS issue?

As far as the temp being 79C under load @ 3100 MHz. that temp is not an issue as far as reliability goes on a laptop CPU/APU as they are designed to run with a max temp in the 90C-105C range depending on the CPU/APU model.

-------------------------

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

01/20/2014 03:28 AM

Author Icon
SlySkill
Peon

Originally posted by: AMDforMe It sounds like it is not coming out of the sleep state and that is why it stays locked at 900 MHz. This may be a BIOS issue?

As far as the temp being 79C under load @ 3100 MHz. that temp is not an issue as far as reliability goes on a laptop CPU/APU as they are designed to run with a max temp in the 90C-105C range depending on the CPU/APU model.

It's a theory, but i really don't know why is this happening. Anyway, you advice m e to let him stays like it's by default, with that 3100 Mhz TCC activated? It really doesn't bother me, the only problem i thought that is was the temps. I have 3 years of warranty and maybe i should let the laptop function how it was design, is it so? Thanks for the answer. 

01/20/2014 09:13 AM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

Laptop CPUs/APUs by design can operate at the higher temps without issue. I'd just run it the way it was meant to be used and enjoy it.

-------------------------

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

01/20/2014 01:21 PM

Author Icon
SlySkill
Peon

Originally posted by: AMDforMe Laptop CPUs/APUs by design can operate at the higher temps without issue. I'd just run it the way it was meant to be used and enjoy it.

Well, then until i will eventually find a solution to this problem, i will just uninstall AMD Overdrive and let it operate on it's normal parameters.

Thanks a lot for the advice.

Statistics
85444 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.