Topic Title: what processor to use rendering and editing video ?
Topic Summary: Rendering
Created On: 02/05/2014 08:54 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/05/2014 08:54 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
owboky
Peon

I want to build a dedicated desktop for rendering and editing video. The only topics are on gaming........ Question which components ?  8,6,4 core or APU ? How much memory speed MB,,AND WHICH Firepro GC.. There's nothing on youtube on building this configuration. Any ideas ?  Thanks.... 
 02/05/2014 09:35 AM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

A lot depends on the actual software you will use and how well it is written for multi-core CPUs. Kaveri can't match a discrete FX-8350 and GPU card.

The FX-8350 is a great 8-core CPU at a super price. If you combine this with a good Firepro card you could build a very powerful system. You will need a quality mobo that is approved for the FX-8350 such as the Asrock Extreme9, an excellent mobo with a 12-2 phase VRM design to supply full power to the CPU without overheating. You'll also need a good tower cooler such as the Aegir SD128264 or similar coolers as the 8-core CPUs produce a lot of heat.

How much memory again is based on the O/S and software that you are using. A 64-bit O/S can nicely use 8-16GB. for video work. If the software actually supports more RAM then you may consider up to 32GB. on many AM3+ mobos. As far as frequency 1866 MHz. is the default for the FX-8000 model CPUs and that should be fine. I would not pay more for faster RAM frequency as it does not produce any tangible increase in system performance based on many independent tests. (The RAM makers don't want you to know this however)... In addition as the RAM quantity increases higher frequency RAM places more of a load on the IMC.

-------------------------

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

02/13/2014 08:11 PM

Author Icon
rhapdog
Peon

I do video rendering and editing. A lot of it. Make sure you have a quality software program written for 64-bit Windows (7 or 8) that will take advantage of extra memory, and also will run OpenCL, so that it will take advantage of not only all your CPU cores, but all your Compute Units on all graphics cards installed in your system.

I am running my setup with a budget build of an A10-6800K, and the software uses all 4 cores of the CPU, and all 6 cores of the iGPU that are within the A10. I also have a Radeon HD 7770, and the software also utilizes all 10 cores for that as well.

By making use of all the extra cores, I'm actually getting better rendering times on the same video than a friend of mine using an FX-8350 with the HD 7770, because it is able to take advantage of the onboard iGPU as well as the dedicated card.

Now, most people will say, "You can't crossfire an HD 8670D (the iGPU in the A10) with an HD 7770." They would be correct. I'm not crossfiring, however, I did not disable the onboard graphics either, so even though a game can't use it, rendering software, or any software, that uses OpenCL, can.  When not using the discrete graphics card, if I use the iGPU with the CPU, then I get 185% performance boost over just the CPU cores alone. Adding in the HD 7770 to that 185%, and it is 2.5 times faster than the 185% figure.

I'm using low end graphics, for sure, but the motherboard, CPU, and discrete graphics card cost me less than $320 combined. I was on a budget, as the video work I do is volunteer work for a church that broadcast their services and makes DVDs available for purchase.

For professional video rendering, you should use the FirePro Graphics cards. With professional software that fully utilizes OpenCL, then the graphics card will be much more important than the CPU. With my lowly budget setup, the CPU is only going to do about 15% of the work or less. Adding another HD 7770 would make it do less than 5% of the rendering work.

You don't have to worry about CPU bottleneck if you're going OpenCL software. Just get the best graphics card you can.

Careful with the software you get. Some won't do OpenCL, and some will only work with Intel CPUs or NVidia cards. OpenCL works with everything, but the AMD cards shine better with OpenCL.

-------------------------

“If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside.” – Robert X. Cringely

Statistics
84114 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.