Topic Title: A10-7850K keeps freezing/lockup on Asus A55BM-E
Topic Summary: Absolutely annoying
Created On: 02/14/2014 12:23 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/14/2014 12:23 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
lessmeat
Peon

Just bought AMD A10 7850K with Asus A55BM-E, updated to the latest bios. The system keeps freezing randomly, absolutely annoying and rending the system unusable. All components are quality ones that work perfectly with  Intel/Gigabyte. 

Anyone experiencing the same? Could it be that the CPU is faulty? Or the board?

I am very frustrated, spent many hours trying to get it stable. Total nightmare so far.

AMD, if you're listening. PLEASE FIX THE PROBLEM!!! 

02/14/2014 12:36 AM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

No it's not the APU. They are completely tested right before boxing and unless there was physical damage to it, it should be fine. Make sure that the RAM and APU are properly seated in their sockets and that you are using the RAM sockets that Asus recommends. Also check all cable connections to be sure they are fully seated. Check to be sure the APU is not overheating under heavy load. You want to look at core temp with an applet such as Core Temp R7 or HWiNFO.

There are many things that can cause system freezing even if the components worked just fine on a Gigabyte mobo. Asus mobos are known to be very RAM sensitive thus I would make sure to manually set the RAM voltage and timings to whatever the RAM maker states for the RAM. You can even up the RAM voltage slightly to see if it helps as long as you stay below 1.7v if you are using std. DDR3 1.5v RAM.

Then I'd run Memtest86+ V4.20 or V5 overnight to see if any errors develop. If they do then you might need to alter the RAM settings or Asus may need to develop a new BIOS to better match the RAM settings that you can't adjust. Otherwise you'll likely need to change RAM.

That's what I would do to start diagnosing the problem.

-------------------------

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

02/14/2014 09:55 AM

Author Icon
lessmeat
Peon

Hi, 

thanks for the reply. Googled around and some others having similar issues. Yes, the ram sticks are Kingston HyperX, the exact model is on Asus' support list. I also tried G.Skill, same issue.

I've done all that, from running prime95 to occt. Tried LinuxMint yesterday, installed AMD proprietary drive, reboot, and bang, no display. 

I'm not trying to make Intel make more money, but honestly I have never had issues with their chips and SSDs. Every time I give AMD a chance, it's hell. C'mon, AMD.

A10-7850K is not ready for the market. Some Gigabyte board users are also experiencing stability issues. Just google that.

AMD has to work on a good driver. I am going to keep this CPU and see if AMD mends the problem. Otherwise, no more AMD for me. 

02/14/2014 10:36 AM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

I think you'll find in the end it's not an APU issue. It could be a Windows issue however.

For the record I have used every major AMD model CPU over the past 20 years without issue. It's usually the supporting hardware or O/S not the CPU/APU.

Also be advised that numerous people have had RAM issues using RAM that is on Asus' approved list. The reasons for this can be many. The ICs that the RAM makers use can vary batch to batch and with them pushing the RAM to it's limit, it's very possible to have conflicts with RAM and certain mobos. Usually the RAM makers and mobo makers get together to create a new BIOS that fixes the issue. I've seen name brand DDR3 RAM go bad in as little as two weeks time.

Asus mobos have always been RAM sensitive IME and that of many other folks because Asus pushes all of the timings so they get slightly higher benchmark scores. This comes at a price of system stability. The review sites all get hand picked mobos which can be better than what consumers get on average. In addition Asus uses several companies to manufacture their mobos so you never really know what you will get.

I know that you believe this is an AMD APU issue but that is highly unlikely though not impossible. Just because other people have the issue doesn't make it an APU issue. Sometimes the mobo makers just don't get the BIOS dialed in 100% properly for a new CPU/APU. You should be talking to Asus tech support about the issue if you have not already. Even though in my experience both Asus and Gigabyte tech support suck, if enough people report the issue, then the mobo companies will address the issue.

If it's a Windows issue it could take a long time to get fixed. If you contact the RAM makers they can sometimes expedite a solution from the mobo makers as it's in everyone's best interest financially and that's all that they care about. Without knowing exactly what the issue is however, it's tough to provide a solution.

If you want to talk directly to AMD tech support you need to file a support ticket as they do not monitor the forums so reporting an issue here does no good at all as far as getting direct AMD support.

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

Edited: 02/14/2014 at 04:21 PM by AMDforMe
 02/14/2014 12:36 PM

Author Icon
r
Nerfed

I had the same issue with my asus a88xm-a.  I replaced it with a gigabyte 88xm-d3h and no longer have issues.

02/17/2014 08:56 PM

Author Icon
lessmeat
Peon

AMDforMe, thanks for the info. The AMD A10-7850K problem persists. The frustration, even anger, is insurmountable. Never thought I'd pay for trouble like this. 

Nonetheless, I'll take the hit and give AMD/Asus a chance to get things right. I'll keep using my laptop for important work for the time being. 

I had an AMD on a Microstar board a few years ago, it was hecklish to begin with as well. I think you're right. Nonetheless, if I still can't get a stable system in a couple of months, I'll RMA them. 

Again, not to be pro-Intel, but man, their chips are just darn easy to deal with, at least for me. Getting AMD does save money but the added hours of troubleshooting and the unwarranted frustration are just not good a trade-off at all. 

r, I'll see if I can borrow friend's Gigabyte board. Thank you!

02/17/2014 10:46 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

MSI is a budget brand and they have had some issues for sure. Asus is not a budget brand and should not have all the issues they have. I've used many Intel and AMD CPUs and never had an issue with any but if you check the record you will find that Intel has actually shipped a LOT more defective CPUs, chipsets, mobos, etc. compared to a very limited number of AMD 3 CPUs years ago. You may not be aware of this but those in the PC industry are very aware of it and Intel's defective products shipped have been over a lot of years not just some isolated incident. AMD has a far better track record on product defects even though they aren't perfect.

No electronics maker is immune to a possible problem. I just read an article today where a company is budgeting $655 million to cover RAM that goes bad while in service. The RAM is believed to be made by Micron - a leading U.S. RAM maker.

Obviously if your APU works fine on a Gigabyte mobo then the issue isn't the APU. As noted by the comment from "r", numerous people are reporting issues with AMD's newest APU on Asus mobos so Asus may have flubbed something in the BIOS?

Hopefully Asus and AMD can sort the tech issues on this APU/mobo combo.

Statistics
84141 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.