Topic Title: BSOD ( memory management ) on 2133mhz ram
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/22/2014 05:55 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/22/2014 05:55 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
dani3lc
Peon

Hi guys im new and need some help here. i have fixed this for weeks but comes to no solution

i build up a budget gaming pc with the spec as below

- Asus A88XM-A motherboard
- AMD A10 7850k APU processor
- Apacer Ram Desktop DDR3 GIANT II 8GB PC2133
- Gigabyte PoweRock 420 psu

I make a clean install of Win8 Pro. I read on the forum on how to choose the profile on getting 2133mhz ram which i think i did it correctly and even upgraded to the latest bios update as well. 

Here is where the problem. my desktop BSOD randomly once in awhile and mostly cant even past 24 hours of stability. been frustrated fixing it, i tried lowering it down to 1866mhz and glad to say i got 0 bsod for 2 days of idle mode. so can anybody help me up here i wanna fix this up but i got no experience on ram management at all. from what i read in the forum this are the methods that i have try but yet couldnt had a fix.

- Manually tune the voltage in bios

- Update latest version of bios

- Update latest driver version and catalyst

- Change psu

Some forumers suggest me to do memtest to c if is ram prob but i was wondering if my ram could sit stable on 1866 mhz means my ram shouldn't be faulty right?

PLEASE help me..... i could stream movie, play games like dota 2 and surfing the net like usual and it looks normal though but it keeps bsod at least once a day....

Can anyone advise .....

03/25/2014 10:29 AM

Author Icon
logiotek
Peon

Try disabling all settings relating to CPU Turbo Boost in BIOS. FYI matching base and turbo multipliers are not enough, you must disable all Turbo settings (there might be 1-3 of them depending on your BIOS). I had similar stability problems with my RAM and nothing else helped, even switching to alternate RAM. I have a Gigabyte motherboard though not Asus.

Also if you got any OC at all, disable all customer OC settings you've made for the time being.

Also keep in mind that some RAM designed for Intel (XMP) might not work well on AMD when using profile timings so try disabling all memory profile options in BIOS.

You should do a Memtest86+ overnight at 1866MHz JEDEC settings (all memory profile options disabled in BIOS). After you find that it passed overnight 3+ passes next run Memtest86+ at 2133MHz with XMP/AMP memory profile enabled in BIOS. If you can't pass under any circumstances it might be bad RAM.

-------------------------

• APU: AMD A10-7850K OC (CPU @ 4.0GHz Turbo disabled, iGPU @ 960MHz, NB @ 1900MHz, VIDs @ Auto)

• RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3-2400 AMD Radeon R9 Gamer R9316G2401U2K (Dual Rank DIMMs) @ AMP 2400MT/s 1.65V with manual optimizations: 11-12-11-27-1 (tCL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS-CR), 37-313-8-16-9-9-29 (tRC-RFC-tRRD-tWR-tWTR-tRTP-tFAW), 15 (AOD: DcqBypassMax)

• Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XN-WIFI Rev 3.0, F4b BIOS

• Memtest86+ overnight stable

03/25/2014 11:03 AM

Author Icon
dani3lc
Peon

well basically i try alot of things..... regarding the turbo boost in bios, i did not find anything from there. i didn't do any OC as well just only the profile setting to tune the ram to 2133 mhz. 

i did try using manual settings even changing the timing itself but no luck at all. well i did not run memtest before as i thought if my ram could sit stable on 1866 doesnt it means its not faulty?

well ill try to do memtest as you said though and come back to report. btw just my curiosity... how did you fix yours then?

03/26/2014 07:22 PM

Author Icon
logiotek
Peon

Start with the fundamentals first, don't skip steps, one little change at a time. You must disable XMP/AMP memory profiles from BIOS and also forget entering timings/voltages yourself just make sure it is 1.5V (default JEDEC voltage). All RAM modules also has JEDEC timings programmed in them for several JEDEC frequencies by default which take effect when you disable XMP/AMP memory profiles in BIOS. Start with DDR3-1333 (666MHz) with JEDEC timings and do a Memtest86+ or even a Windows Memory Diagnostics utility to start somewhere. Make sure Cool & Quiet and APM are enabled in BIOS. See if you can pass one pass.

For me on my Gigabyte motherboard disabling Turbo did the trick because I couldn't even pass DDR3-1333 JEDEC timings with stock APU settings. I think VRMs generate a lot of noise when they step the voltage up instantaneously for Turbo and cause memory corruption. As you see, I am now running even beyond the stock specifications on my APU and even tightened timings on my RAM beyond AMP/XMP profile timings. I've passed Memtest86+ overnight on 2 separate occasions already and I couldn't do that before with 2 different RAM kits. All in all it took me about a week to sort out all stability issues between motherboard BIOS updates and toying with BIOS settings.

• APU: AMD A10-7850K OC (CPU @ 4.0GHz Turbo disabled, iGPU @ 960MHz, NB @ 1900MHz, VIDs @ Auto)

• RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3-2400 AMD Radeon R9 Gamer R9316G2401U2K (Dual Rank DIMMs) @ AMP 2400MT/s 1.65V with manual optimizations: 11-12-11-27-1 (tCL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS-CR), 37-313-8-16-9-9-29 (tRC-RFC-tRRD-tWR-tWTR-tRTP-tFAW), 15 (AOD: DcqBypassMax)

03/26/2014 10:09 PM

Author Icon
dani3lc
Peon

OKay thz for the tips......i havent try memtest yet cause i don't really know how to do it but i did test with memory diagnostic tool there was no error and currently im running in 2133 mhz manual mode in profile with slightly tune timings but no changes on any voltage. except dram voltage is set to 1.65 manually. 

and well i had 12 hours running idle and few hours of usage without bsod and this is good news though as i have nvr been able to even surf with chrome cause it leads to random crash on webpage and then bsod on random. 

i think my settings are quite stable but ill try idling it for 48 hours to see if it would crash or so on.....thanks alot for your advised though. do i still need to run memtest?

btw i still dun locate the turbo boost as you mention on the bios so should i just leave it?

while playing with the settings i think i OCed my rig as well to 4.0 ghz and it seems fine though  on my rig so should i just stay at 4.0? btw how do you tune your IGP up to 960mhz ? i wanted to get better framerates on my games as well since im not adding any vga card though...can you please advised....TQ

03/27/2014 12:03 PM

Author Icon
logiotek
Peon

Memtest is way more advanced than Windows Memory Diagnostics and will point out errors in detail as well as ability to figure out which module causes them. It also provides memory bandwidth it is able to achieve so you can see effects of your OCing plus check for stability right there in one place. You just have to make bootable USB flash drive using Memtest installation software. I use old 1GB flash drive I no longer use.

If you start getting instability, go back to basics. Forget OC, any manual settings, or memory profiles. Let the system first prove itself stable at stock and JEDEC settings on RAM. Once you get that base mark, you can start tweatking one thing at a time. Take notes on what works what doesn't because there are many variations and it's easy to get confused or fooled.

APU's iGPU frequency should be configurable in BIOS and you might have to enable some OC feature first before it appears. I use Gigabyte so I can't help you with Asus BIOS.

03/28/2014 12:01 AM

Author Icon
dani3lc
Peon

Ok thz for your advises, i already did memtest based on your suggestion yesterday and put it overnight. i got 44 passes with 0 errors on it so i guess my comp its stable enough now right? i did some overclock on the apu multiplier and hit it to 4.0 with turbo off. ill c if i get it stable though tonight.

thanks for your advised about the manual settings on the profile. i din get any bsod so far using it now. but i still can't get where i could tune the OC for the igpu....anyway since you are not familiar with asus board on the gpu OC i guess i gonna try it out myself.....Thz for everything.

Statistics
84251 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 6 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.