Topic Title: Unexplained crashing with A10-7850K
Topic Summary: I am having crashes without error messages when gaming or watching Flash videos.
Created On: 04/22/2014 01:35 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/22/2014 01:35 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
zombamafoo
Peon

Graphics Card
AMD A10-7850K APU with Radeon R7

AMD Catalyst Driver Version, and Driver History
Currently using Version 13.301.1001.0
I also tried using the beta drivers available on http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMDCatalyst13-11APUBetaDriver.aspx with the same crashes, as well as Version 08.00.0915, which was on the disc that my (prebuilt, from NewEgg) computer shipped with.

Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600)

Issue Details

When watching Flash videos, I experience picture distortion, as well as the video temporarily becoming entirely green.
In several games (Team Fortress 2 with all settings on high, trilinear filtering, recommended settings; PAYDAY 2, both on high and low settings, with anti-aliasing on and off, VSync on and off; Plague Inc. Evolved on highest and lowest detail settings) I get unexplained crashes. Typically the game hangs momentarily, then either closes immediately with no error messages (which has occurred with all three games, but occurs most often in Plague Inc.), displays only a while screen (this only occurs in PAYDAY 2), or causes a blue-screen-of-death (has occurred with Plague Inc and PAYDAY 2).
With Team Fortress 2, on some occasions instead of crashing, the game will still seem to be running well (sounds still going on as though nothing was wrong, as well as it hiding my mouse cursor), though it is entirely invisible. If I select it on my taskbar to make it the active window, I can see the other windows, though my computer seems to believe it's still rendering the game.
These all seem like driver issues, which is strange as I have tried several alternatives.

Motherboard or System Make & Model
ASUS A88XM-A motherboard.

Power Supply

Rosewill CAPSTONE-550-M, 550W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182262

Display Device(s) and Connection(s) Used
Dell E2414H. Connected via regular DVI cable.

Applications and Games

PAYDAY 2, Team Fortress 2, Plague Inc. Evolved (all current Steam versions)
Adobe Flash Player (specifically YouTube)

CPU Details
AMD A10-7850K APU

Motherboard BIOS Version

ASUS BIOS Ver: 09.03
EDIT: I just upgraded my BIOS to the most recent version, 1301. Since then, I have had even more crashes, every time I start a Flash video. I don't even blue-screen, I am treated to a grating sound and glitchy horizontal bars and have to hard restart. I just reinstalled Flash, and this crash still occurs. When I launch a video game, I get a blue-screen, with the error message IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.

System Memory Type & Amount
G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2x4GB) Model F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231455

Additional Hardware
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200RPM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148840
Three fans, one on back of case, one in front of case, and processor cooler.
LITE-ON DVD Burner
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106289

Additional Details
Computer
is brand new, Avast Antivirus confirmed free of viruses.
Just ran Memtest, no issues detected.

Edited: 04/22/2014 at 03:27 AM by zombamafoo
 04/22/2014 09:12 AM

Author Icon
Xen0sys
Peon

What resolution are you using? Try taking it down 2-3 notches.

04/22/2014 09:36 AM

Author Icon
zombamafoo
Peon

The monitor I'm using's native resolution is 1920x1080. I just tried running games/videos at basically all available (800x600 up to 1920x1080) resolutions, and experience the same grinding noise and horizontal bars when watching YouTube. Right now I'm in safe mode (with networking), and I haven't been able to cause a crash, but this is only because flash player itself crashes instantly, instead of everything.

I reverted to a system restore point while I slept last night, to right before I updated my video card drivers the first time, and am still experienceing the same exact symptoms.

04/22/2014 10:01 AM

Author Icon
Xen0sys
Peon

If you have anything plugged into any PCI ports, try removing them and retest.

See if you don't crash with audio devices disabled. If still crashing:

• set resolution to 720p (or closest supported resolution)
  • remove flash and drivers, reboot
  • download/reinstall audio and ethernet drivers (not the motherboard chipset pack), reboot
  • download and install this driver: http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/latest-catalyst-windows-beta.aspx, reboot
  • install flash (other OS)
  • use chrome or firefox to test fullscreen and not (still 720p resolution)
  • test games in 720p res both fullscreen and windowed/windowed borderless
  • test video playback from a local hard driver video on something like VLC
If it's still not working after all that, RMA your motherboard as that is likely the problem when you see "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL".

Alternatively you could try installing linux to see if you can get a hardware fault with flash & games. If not, it could still be software/driver issues.

Edited: 04/22/2014 at 10:13 AM by Xen0sys
 04/22/2014 12:21 PM

Author Icon
zombamafoo
Peon

I did those instructions in order, and now I am back where I began; I've stopped getting BSODs from games and the grinding/bars from Flash, but I still get the green and distortions (I noticed this only happens when the video is set to an HD resolution, 1080p or 720p) and occasional game crashes. Playing a .mp4 and .mpg file in VLC has no issues.

Generally I would be happy to install a linux distro to test on but I don't actually have a disc to reinstall Windows available.

EDIT: All of these issues are stemming from the display driver crashing, then reinitializing. I haven't pinned down what exactly causes the crashes, but it's happened in flash and while gaming.

Edited: 04/22/2014 at 12:52 PM by zombamafoo
 04/22/2014 04:10 PM

Author Icon
Xen0sys
Peon

Have you tried disabling the audio components?

You could try a livecd linux distro either off of a cd or a usb drive.

Unfortunately it's looking like you'll need to RMA your motherboard. I had to because of very similar symptoms.

04/22/2014 05:04 PM

Author Icon
zombamafoo
Peon

Sure did, it didn't have any bearing on the issue.

That's an excellent idea and I'm downloading one now, just to confirm that it is indeed the motherboard.

Yup, definitely seems like that's the case; it's unfortunate, but looks like that's how it's gonna be. Thanks for all your help, mate.

Statistics
86413 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.