Topic Title: no AMD graphics driver installed error after updating to 14.4
Topic Summary:
Created On: 05/02/2014 03:38 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/02/2014 03:38 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Zombargh
Peon

i just updated to 14.4 last few days, and now i keep getting problems that writes,

"No AMD graphics driver is installed, or the AMD driver is not functioning properly. Please install the AMD driver appropriate for your AMD hardware."

i tried using the AMD cleanup to uninstall everything, and reinstall the drivers. everything writes fine during the finish, but after reboot, the message will appear. checked windows device manager, and there are yellow (!) signs on the display drivers. what should i do?

this never happen before on the previous driver version. (im not sure which version).

here are my specs:

-Windows 8.1 (64bit)

-AMD A10-7850K APU

-AMD R7 240 GPU (Dual-Graphics with APU)

-4gb RAM

05/02/2014 02:55 PM

Author Icon
Xeeros
Peon

Yup, same thing. But older dual graphics hardware

Windows 8.1

AMD Radeon HD 7660D + HD 6670 Dual Graphics

AMD A10-5800K APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics (4 CPUs), ~3.8GHz

ASUS Radeon HD 6670 1GB GDDR5

16 GB RAM

05/02/2014 11:33 PM

Author Icon
mnajmi81
Peon

Hi guys,

I have the same issues with new Catalyst 14.4. However, I found the workaround for issue Code 43 - device stopped.

If you have Kaveri APU, the APU driver 13.301 (or the one from your motherboard manufacturer) is the right driver choice if you need to run virtual machines, since many VMs requires IOMMU support enabled.

After some investigations, you can properly install the Catalyst 14.4 package by uninstalling 3 drivers via the Device Manager (right click on the device - Uninstall + delete driver). The devices and drivers are:

1. HSA driver (for Kaveri only) - under HSA or Display Adapters (show hidden devices if it does not appear in the default view). If there still none listed after showing default devices, then it is not installed.

2. AMD IOMMU (under System Devices).

3. Your current graphics devices and drivers (all versions). Delete the drivers too when uninstalling the display devices.

Run AMD Install Cleanup utility or run the Catalyst 14.4 and the previous Catalyst version installers to uninstall the rest of the Catalyst drivers and applications installed.

Reboot and next check the devices again. Uninstall and delete the display driver again, if there are still drivers for your AMD card/APU installed. Repeat this untill Windows only shows Basic Display Adapter (reboots required).

Once all of these steps were completed, you may install the Catalyst 14.4 package successfuly.

My hardware specs APU/Graphics card:

A10-7700K APU and R7 240 2GB GDDR3 card

The reason why the installation drivers are stopped (Code 43) is because the new Catalyst package is not compatible with the IOMMU and HSA drivers from previous Catalyst versions (which is not uninstalled or updated). The new package also does not have any IOMMU and HSA drivers in the package, which is bad for me, since I am running VMs actively.

I reported this to AMD via the submission form but no action taken yet by AMD, owh well.

05/03/2014 12:16 PM

Author Icon
Zombargh
Peon

thanks for the reply, will try it tomorrow.

hope it works.

05/03/2014 12:50 PM

Author Icon
Darth Revan
Nerfed

Doesn't work man, I have even tried refreshing windows 8, which is like reinstall windows and that doesn't work. *sigh* I guess I'm going back to 13.2 Hurry up and release new beta drivers or hotfixes that fix this AMD. Next build might be intel/nvidia instead of apu+dual graphics for me, unless AMD hurries up and fixes this

05/03/2014 07:08 PM

Author Icon
darkcurse
Peon

I tried a variation of this last night, and it kinda works. Try using the AMD cleanup utility to nuke all the AMD stuff, then install 14.4, and then install the drivers that came with the motherboard *BUT* do not install AMDKIOMD (Thats the IOMMU stuff that he was talking about before). That said though, it seems I get better framerates using 13.25 vs 14.4 so i might be going back

05/03/2014 08:37 PM

Author Icon
mnajmi81
Peon

Thanks for trying the the steps out.

It may be a hit and miss, since we do not really know what is the main source of the driver/installation issue.

I have new updates. The issue still occurs if I set Dual Graphics enabled to Dual Graphics enabled, and vice versa. Tried both R7 240/IGPU to be the main and secondary link, the issue still occurs.

This Catalyst 14.4 driver is not really mean for Kaveri APU, until the issue with HSA/IOMMU is *really* fixed. I am reverting to Catalyst APU version 13.301.

Need my virtual machine running smoothly now. Sigh*

05/04/2014 09:16 PM

Author Icon
Zombargh
Peon

tried the solution above, at first everything is ok, then screen flickers, then message of no graphics driver popup again. *sigh*

will revert to old drivers.

05/05/2014 12:18 PM

Author Icon
Zombargh
Peon

reverted to old drivers. now my pc wont detect the graphics card.

it only installs the "AMD R7 200 series" driver (which im assuming the APU's graphics driver), and another one would be "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" why is this? already clean uninstall 14.4 using AMD utility. and reinstalled 13.12 drivers. now no graphics card? im at a dead end here. no idea how to fix this.

05/06/2014 03:05 AM

Author Icon
darkcurse
Peon

R7 200 Series is the discrete card I believe. What motherboard do you have? I think you'll have install version 13.25 of the drivers as well as everything that came with your motherboard. I get that message when I nuke using the AMD Clean Uninstall utility and I get a yellow exclaimation mark on PCI device until i reinstall the motherboard drivers.

05/06/2014 10:40 AM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

DO not use the AMD uninstall utility. The forum is full of posts warning against using it. Now, use system restore to put your computer back to the condition it was in before you tried to 'update' it.

-------------------------

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

05/09/2014 05:24 PM

Author Icon
Kirk12
Peon

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows+7+-+64#

(Description)

Doesn't work. ;(

05/13/2014 03:28 AM

Author Icon
Gomi_OCN
Peon

Same problem.

Using Gigabyte supplied drivers (13.25) everything works perfectly - Both iGPU only and running Dual Graphics with the R7 250. 

When using 14.4 APU drivers the installation seems fine, but it will pop up with a "No AMD drivers installed" and CCC will be empty. 

Tested following installation: 

Direct upgrade.

Remove old drivers and upgrade.

Fresh Windows 8.1 installation.

Same error, 14.4 rendering the system completely useless. Reverting to 13.25 and everything works perfectly. 

Gigabyte F2A88X-UP4

AMD A10-7850K APU

R7 250 Dual Graphics

8 GB RAM

Windows 8.1

Connoisseur in hardware renaissance, boldly going where angels fear to tread
 05/13/2014 09:29 PM

Author Icon
Darth Revan
Nerfed

Sucess! I got it working! Unfortunately I have no idea how I did it; it just worked. I don't know how to upload an image onto here, so I can't show you guys, but in device manager and catalyst it looks completely normal. It's been two weeks since I stopped messing around with it, and today I just tried upgrading from 13.12 to 14.4 VIA DEVICE MANAGER. (Have disk). I am afraid to touch anything on my computer or restart now. 

05/13/2014 09:29 PM

Author Icon
Darth Revan
Nerfed

Oh yeah, and disable dual graphics first, use have disk upgrade on the APU display adapter. AND TRY THIS: PLUG monitor onto apu. 

Edited: 05/13/2014 at 09:46 PM by Darth Revan
 05/14/2014 04:44 AM

Author Icon
Gomi_OCN
Peon

Originally posted by: Darth Revan Sucess! I got it working! Unfortunately I have no idea how I did it; it just worked. I don't know how to upload an image onto here, so I can't show you guys, but in device manager and catalyst it looks completely normal. It's been two weeks since I stopped messing around with it, and today I just tried upgrading from 13.12 to 14.4 VIA DEVICE MANAGER. (Have disk). I am afraid to touch anything on my computer or restart now. 

Interesting. 

Will try and replicate this when I get back home, if it works there is something stopping the 14.4 installer from actually installing our drivers, something I pointed out when talking to an AMD rep on another forum (And giving him a detailed description of the problem.). 

If this actually works, there is the added benefits of the Chipset, USB and ACHI drivers already installed and not being touched, as all you do is manually installing the iGPU and dGPU drivers - Whether or not this works for Dual Graphics time will tell. 

I plan on doing the following: 

• 2.Boot back into 8.1 in normal mode and install 13.25, a set of drivers that I know works 100%. 
  • 3.Reboot PC when asked - Upon entering desktop manually install the iGPU and dGPU, using the driver files in 14.4 (Device manager- Have disk).
  • 4.Reboot PC and pray. 

Sidenote: 

As already stated I talked to an AMD rep yesterday evening on another forum, which resulted in a good 2-way conversation via PM with details regarding the problem. He confirmed that the team is looking into numerous problems which include the ones APU users are experiencing - With a little luck we will see an updated 14.4 or 14.5 soon - One can only hope. 

Until then, will try this Manual install method and report back, whether it works or fails. 

05/15/2014 03:09 AM

Author Icon
Gomi_OCN
Peon

Update since my last message: 

Well, everything been tried and tested and the results were great in the beginning, but in the end it did not work. 

Here is how I did it: 

First method: 

• 2.Boot back into 8.1 in normal mode and install 13.25, a set of drivers that I know works 100%. 
  • 3.Reboot PC when asked - Upon entering desktop manually install the iGPU and dGPU, using the driver files in 14.4 (Device manager- Have disk).
  • 4.Reboot PC and pray. 
Second method: 
  • 2.Boot back into 8.1 in normal mode and install 14.4.
  • 4.Reboot PC and pray. 
Each method resulted in the exact same thing. 
Yes. You are able to MANUALLY install the 14.4 drivers by using the HAVE DISK method - After a reboot the CCC software will show that everything is alright, even Dual Graphics options was there and working without any problem. 
However, the drivers do not STICK - After 3-4 reboots I would get the same message as before (No AMD graphics driver is installed, or the AMD driver is not functioning properly. Please install the AMD driver appropriate for your AMD hardware.) - So back to square one. 
AMD need to come up with a rocksolid driver installation soon - There is clearly something going wrong when you install the drivers using the normal way - Whether or not the "drivers-not-sticking" situation is related to this I cannot tell. 
As for now, and yet again, I reverted to 13.25 - A set of drivers that install without any problems and work right out of the box. 

Edited: 05/15/2014 at 03:16 AM by Gomi_OCN
 05/15/2014 09:44 PM

Author Icon
Darth Revan
Nerfed

Have you tried plugging the monitor on the apu? Anyway, I hope amd posts a fixed 14.5 soon. Does is only happen with me people with windows 8?

Edited: 05/15/2014 at 09:54 PM by Darth Revan
 05/16/2014 03:19 AM

Author Icon
darkcurse
Peon

Yeah my experience has been the same as Gomi_OCN, after a few reboots it craps itself again and the performance was worse than when I was using the 13.25 drivers

05/16/2014 10:10 PM

Author Icon
Darth Revan
Nerfed

I have managed to replicate my steps:

1. Get 13.12
  2. Turn dual graphics off
  3. Restart, disable apu graphics in UEFI
  4. Install 14.4 with HAVE DISK method (after auto extract drivers are in C:\AMD\Support\14-4-win7-win8-win8.1-64-dd-ccc-whql\Packages\Drivers\Display\WB6A_INF)
  5. Restart, in bios turn launch csm off and primary video device to IGD in UEFI
  6. plug monitor onto mobo, not card
  7. Start computer, it might boot with a blank screen, but give it a few minutes it might start displaying on the login screen
  8. At this point, device manager should show two seperate working cards, CCC should work
  9. Enable dual graphics, before clicking apply, pray like there's no tomorrow
  10. Close your eyes, hope against hope, and check if everything worked
  11. Enable dual graphics for no associated app profile.

Statistics
86393 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.