Topic Title: Odd Windows 8/8.1 task manager behavior
Topic Summary: The system is not running at 100% like it is supposed to
Created On: 07/28/2014 06:13 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/28/2014 06:13 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
tlgalenson
Peon

The system is a new-to-me refurbished HP Envy 700-200z with an A-10 6700 motherboard.

I run Seti at home on this machine.

Anytime I am processing (aka: calculating) using the GPU portion of the system the over-all system utilzation goes down from near 100% down to 50-62%.

The taskmanager also reports elsewhere that all cpus are at 100% utilization even though the overall system megahertz is way down below 4Mhz.

I can't tell if this is an artifact or the whole system is really running at half-speed.  The system is taking about 7 hours to perform a basic Seti work unit. This is about twice as long as an Intel dual core cpu running at 3Mhz takes (under Windows 7).  This may not be the actual issue but might be an artifact of Amd sharing a floating point processor between two cores. 

The GPU load reports at near 100% (using another commonly used Gpu reporting tool in the Seti community).  But the rig is apparently running slower than my C-60 gpu or my Intel cpu boxes. (The C-60 gpu currently appears to be processing its workload faster than the A-10 6700 gpu).  The one thing I can't control for is the task data file names are different so this also could be the result of different data file loads.

I am pretty sure this is a windows 8/8.1 artifact because I have another APU running Windows 7 Home and Setiathome (its a C-60 motherboard) where this issue doesn't appear.

I am not in favor of backgrading the OS because I need to learn to use it for technical support experience.

So does anyone have any idea what is actually going on? And how to fix it at an Windows 8/8.1 level?

I have no clue if the Setiathome applications are simply not Windows 8/8.1 effecient.  But I see reports of very good productivity on A-10's that are running Windows 7.

Thanks,

Tom

-------------------------
Come join us on Setiathome
Statistics
88789 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 7 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.