Topic Title: Where are you FX-7600P?
Topic Summary: Products shipping with AMD FX-7600P APU
Created On: 07/30/2014 07:30 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/30/2014 07:30 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Meteorhead
Peon

Hi!

I am just ahead of buying a new devbox, and the FX-7600P APU looks like a dream come true. However there are virtually no products shipping with it.

I am quite wure that the moment I decide to buy another system, MSI or ASUS will release a model that features it. (Just my luck)

Does anyone know of any systems that house such an APU?

-------------------------

csiga.

07/30/2014 11:02 PM

Author Icon
ashleylai87
Peon

Hate to break the news to you. Probably next year.

AMD has average track record of delaying launch of actual product by 6 - 12 months after 'paper launch'.

Let me give you current example.
A8-7600 was announced in Jan 2014 and still not available in retail (aka processor in a box) even now.

Past example? You can refer to APU Liano launch.....2 years to actually ship to consumers..... AMD Phenom and Bulldozer launch delay? Don't get me started......Phenom performance/power usage was good for its time though. Bulldozer, not so.....

If you wanna get reasonable cpu performance with low power consumption........probably you gonna wait a long time, and by the time product actually released, AMD competitors may leap far ahead.

08/01/2014 06:37 AM

Author Icon
Meteorhead
Peon

Too bad. It looks like I'll either have to with the HP ElitBook 725/745/755, or buy yet another Intel/AMD mixed laptop, and either stick with the crappy Switchable Graphics driver, or shut down 40% of the CPU, which is then a waste of money.

If only HP Envy had refreshed it's 15z-j100 with FX-7600P and some R5 dGPU... that would be just the thing I'd need.

-------------------------

csiga.

08/01/2014 02:42 PM

Author Icon
ashleylai87
Peon

AMD switchable graphic driver is horrible. My friend once purchase laptop with this function, then only few years, AMD relegated HD4000 mobility series to so called LEGACY driver without fixing existing issue with switchable graphic. Even Nvidia Optimus support for windows is better. BTW, both AMD and NVIDIA switchable graphic support for linux is equivalently horrible.

Beside, these APU has one fatal flaw.
If the CPU base frequency is 3.7Ghz (turbo 3.9ghz), whenever there is slight IGPU activity, the CPU frequency will be throttled to 3.0ghz regardless of temperature.

AMD marketing team tries to play down the problem by saying it is part of design, balanced thermal usage between gpu/cpu.

Yet, AMD keeps on marketing the total GFLOPS of 800+ when using both CPU and IGPU fully. Source : http://www.zdnet.com/computex-2014-amd-announces-kaveri-mobile-chips-challenges-intel-7000030197/

Assuming if a program utilises both cpu and igpu, that marketing claim of 800+ GFLOPS can never be achieved due to the throttling issues.

I admit AMD has the best marketing team, but worst engineering team.

Statistics
89073 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 6 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.