Topic Title: Problems Upgrading GPU in Acer AM3420 desktop - HELP NEEDED
Topic Summary: Upgrading GPU
Created On: 08/23/2014 01:19 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/23/2014 01:19 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
jmfloier
Peon

I have a 2012 Acer premade desktop PC for which  I'd like to upgrade the GPU.  I have already purchased, and returned, two Nvidia cards (GEFORCE GTX 750TI) because my system wouldn't acknowledge them or work with them. I couldn't boot up and someone told me that I probably needed to update the BIOS but that if I did so it was at great risk (could ruin the motherboard).  Being a chicken I thought I'd look into whether I'd be able to replace my AMD Radeon 7470 gpu (which is pretty basic) with a newer Radeon gpu which would (1) work with my system out of the box; and (2) provide me a better computer/gaming experience.

Any responses and guidance provided is greatly appreciated!!!  I'm running out of money just on RMA's and have given up on the Nvidia platform with my machine. Here is a description of my PC:

General System:

Manufacturer: Acer

Model: Aspire M3420

BIOS: P01-A0

Processor: AMD A10-5700 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics    (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz

Memory: 12288MB RAM

GPU Info:

Name: AMD Radeon HD 7000 series (7470)

Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

Chip type: AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x6778)

DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)

Device Type: Full Device

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6778&SUBSYS_E145174B&REV_00

Display Memory: 7919 MB

Dedicated Memory: 2031 MB

Shared Memory: 5888 MB

PSU Info

EVGA 660B  (I believe it would prove to be plenty of power for most cards)

If you need any further information to provide me a response or guidance please let me know and I'll gladly provide it.  Thanks very much

08/23/2014 07:42 PM

Author Icon
jmfloier
Peon

600B is a 600 watt psu

08/24/2014 01:02 PM

Author Icon
Slayerx
Button Masher

There was probaly nothing wrong with those cards.

You have to disable the intregrated graphics in the BIOS before installing the new GPU also if you not having any problems like it crashing or locking up then there's no reason to update your BIOS

-------------------------

FX 8320// Asus Sabertooth R2.0 // HIS R9 280x //8Gb of 1866Mhz ram, H50 cooling, HX850W psu all stuffed into a NZXT Phantom case.

Was a member of AMD Processer forum since 2008. Last post count 1818.

08/26/2014 04:33 PM

Author Icon
jmfloier
Peon

Tried what you suggested. Couldn't find the right thing to 'disable integrated graphics.'  I then purchased a lesser card than what I wanted.  Went to a national computer store (Microcenter), they pulled up the specs for my machine and said you can use the Radeon 260x - which I purchased.  No surprise here, it did NOT work either, so I tried messing with the BIOS (again) and got to the point where I could not get the machine to boot and had to take it to a computer tech.  The tech tried installing the new card and he cannot get it to work and tells me that the machine cannot be upgraded with one of these newer gpus?????  and what's wrong with the card I have -- if I don't plan on doing graphics, or gaming, etc.??  I told him I really want to improve the graphics on the machine and be able to game.  If what he says is true then these mass manufacturers should disclose this information at time of purchase!   Thoughts regarding my ability to upgrade the card?? 

Statistics
85410 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.